Author Topic: Mathew Fogarty( b: c1832) and Katherine Quinn (b: c1835)  (Read 9849 times)

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mathew Fogarty( b: c1832) and Katherine Quinn (b: c1835)
« on: Friday 20 July 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on family of Mathew Fogarty and Katherine Quinn.   I have information on the family in the US but not in Ireland.
Matthew Fogarty (b: c1832 Ireland) (d: c1900 Pennsylvania), married Katherine Quinn (b: Apr 1835). Matthew was born in County Tipperary, Ireland on a farm outside of Thurles (Fogarty Farm). He had brothers and sisters that came to America. (1) John had a grocery store in Conshohocken, PA.  John was father of John and Mary Fogarty (John, a bachelor, lived with his sister Mary, a spinster, and ran the store until sometime in the 1940's) (2) Michael was an Augustinian Priest in Ireland. He came to America but didn't like the way things were run at Villanova so he returned to Ireland. (3) Ellen (Sister Mary Augustine, St Joseph Order) came from Ireland at age 16. She was stationed at an orphanage in Troy, N.Y. (4) Jeremiah remained on farm in Thurles, Ireland. (5) Edward settled in Canada. (6) Another Sister (name unknown). Three of Matthew's sisters came out of Ireland. Two were Nuns and one married a man named Coffee.  Matthew and Katherine were married in America. The date and place are not confirmed, probably c1857 at St Augustine’s in Philadelphia or St Matthews in Conshohocken, PA.
Katherine Quinn (b: c1835 Ireland) (d: c1907 Pennsylvania), was born in Ireland in the town of Carrick-on-Suir. She had an older brother, Patrick, who was exiled to Australia by Queen Victoria for taking part in an uprising. This was before Katherine was born. A sister, Mary Quinn, came to America. She married a man named Garrett Murphy who left her and had her committed to a home for widows, St. Ann's, 4th and Vine, Philadelphia, PA (Franklin Square)
Matthew and Katherine had five children: (1) Richard H. Fogarty (b: April 26, 1860 Pennsylvania) (d: July 22, 1920 Pennsylvania) (2) Katherine "Aunt Katy" died Jan. 30, 1957 (3) Mary, married John Doheny, lived in Rosemont, PA had one son, Raymond, died July 13? (4) Thomas. (5) Matthew.
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mathew Fogarty( b: c1832) and Katherine Quinn (b: c1835)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 September 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
Fogarty is quite a common name around the Thurles area and there would be a number of farms in the area where Fogarty families lived. Recently I looked at Thurles R.C. parish records and did not find any baptismal for a Matthew Fogarty between 1822 - 1849. The other personal names you have are quite common and without some further precise information on birth dates it would be difficult to acertain the correct family. Also its possible they lived in an area
not in the Thurles parish area but in an adjoining parish.
Have you been able to get any death certs for any of the family- these might give parents names. I see some lived in Pennsylvania and they now have an  index to death certs from 1906 online so it might be possible to get one or more death certs.
Do you have any likely dates for Michael Fogarty who was an Augustinian priest. I was able to contact the Augistinian archives but they have no record of a Fr Michael Fogarty around the time you mention. The only Fogarty record they have with a conncetion to Villanova  is of a Daniel Paul Fogarty "who was born at Templemore, County Tipperary, Ireland, January 30, 1887.  He entered the novitiate at Villanova, July 4, 1907. He was sent to Rome for studies in September, 1908.  He was ordained priest in Rome, July 25, 1913.  He returned to Villanova, as student priest in 1913.  He served at Bryn Mawr, Good Counsel, and at St. Augustine's, Andover. He died (a victim of the "influenza" epidemic) at Andover, October 18, 1918. Buried in St. Mary's Cemetery, Lawrence."
However this seems to be much too late for him to be a member of your Fogarty family.
Hope this is of some use
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking into this.  This is sparse information to begin with.

Death certificates have not been available.  I have been to the Montgomery County, PA archives and researched the vital statistics.  I have not been able to find anything on any of this family.  Most of the information is anecdotal family history pasted down through generations.  My next step is to review local newspapers for additional information.  As you know, that is very time consuming.

I will keep searching and post any additional findings.

Bob
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline fogclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunatley what is being broadcast all over the Internet as fact is proving to be inaccurate.
AS a 3XGREAT grandson of Matthew Fogarty I obtained the same info from a 2X family member, and in fact you may have obtained it from one of my posts on another site.  Fortunately more and more things have been coming online over the past few years to help verify and possibly redirect this search. I received some NEW INFO in the last two weeks as to where the FARM was I'll get to down below.

I am in the RICHARD HENRY FOGARTY SR, RICHARD HENRY FOGARTY JR, John M FOGARTY line.

Our Fogarty Line it seems DID not come directly from THURLES, but was assumed to come directly from THURLES by someone in the family  who wrote this all down since  FOGARTY CASTLE is the source of ALL FOGARTY's eventually.   

MATTHEW's grave is in St MAtthews ( OLD) CEMETERY in Conshohocken, Montgomery Co, PA.  He is buried under a tombstone that also includes the name of three children.  This fills in the missing 3 children on the Census that Katherine bore but that did not survive.
THey are:
EMMA FOGARTY  b.c. Sept 1862   d Sept 6, 1870 Buried ST MAtthews ( OLD) Conshohocken, PA
EDWARD FOGARTY b.c MAR 1865  d SEPT 8, 1870  "
MARGARET FOGARTY b.c.APR 1873 d AUG 3, 1875 "

I have no cause of death as of yet.

MATTHEW died February 15, 1886

I would assume Katherine (d September 19, 1907) his wife is also buried at the same tombstone  ( just off FAYETTE STREET) as one side of the tombstone is blank and may have just gone unmarked.  There is another CAtherine QUINN in the same cemetery nearby but the dates don't match.

Catherine immigrated in 1856 ( according to census reports)  and was married at St MATTHEWS CHURCH in 1856. EArly in my Genealogy efforts I was able to confirm that with someone who had access to the records there...but I have no hard copy.  I believe I made more notes deep in some Excel file I have been unable to locate and which may be on an old hard drive.

ACCORDING TO THE "FOGARTY VERBAL HISTORY"
MATTHEW had the following family

JOHN who married a MARY (possibly a MEAGHER..not sure).  He started as a Store CLERK as shown on a census and eventually became an owner.  CONSHOHOCKEN HISTORY mentions his store, along with FLOCCO SHOEs right up the road.   My father actually remembers being in the store in the early 50s.  Census shows Johns birth year to be c. 1840-41.

MICHAEL an Augustinian Priest who came in NOV 1887 to PA to marry his nephew RICHARD HENRY FOGARTY and Phoebe FARRELL at the Chapel on the Villanova campus.  Verbal history says he
went to ST Augustines in Philadelphia for a bit, but decided to return to Ireland.  Looking at the Duplicate Certificate of Marriage for Richard there are TWO names signed on the form for Michael J. FOGARTY A.S.A; as well as Michael M. FOGARTY.  Unfortunatly based on the date of Matthews death there was no reunion of brothers.  TWo different middle initials just adds more confusion.

EDWARD FOGARTY - supposedly went to Canada  I can find no evidence he even existed in Ireland unless he is older and off the records, has a different mother, or was born in another County. 

POSSIBILITY :There was an Edward b IRELAND b.1826, living in Flamborough East, Wentworth North, Ontario Canada b in 1826 who was married, widowed,  and married again.  He had three kids with his first wife and was a grandfather. However there is NO CONCRETE EVIDENCE there is a relation.

JEREMIAH who remained on the farm.  I may have found him.

Two sisters who became NUNS:  I have no name for the first but the second has opened up some doors!.

ELLEN FOGARTY - who according to "Family VERBAL History" came to the USA when age 16 and ended up in an Orphanage in Troy, NY.  She went by Sister AUGUSTINE.  If we ASSUME some of this is FACT and not just assumed AFTER someone found one of the many Ellen FOGARTYs in the USA census and in Troy. then we may hve a link to IRELAND.

HELEN FOGARTY (1900 CENSUS ) was listed as age 37, and born Feb 1863.  She was also listed as SISTER AUGUSTINE.

ELLEN FOGARTY ( 1910 Census) was listed as an Asylum Assistant under the Superintendents name for St Josephs Home, Troy, NY.  She Immigrated in 1882 and would have been born c 1860-61..meaning age 21 or 22 when coming over the pond.

SISTER AUGUSTINE MARY FOGARTY ( 1920 CENSUS) was listed as INMATE B IRELAND c 1861 AGE 59

HELEN FOGARTY (1900 CENSUS ) was listed as age 37, and born Feb 1863.  She was also listed as SISTER AUGUSTINE.   

I recently contacted the Sister of ST Josephs ARchives in Albany , NEW York and got this response:

Thank you for your inquiry concerning the life of Sister M. Augustine Fogarty (Ellen)

Her Personal Data sheet states:

Born Ellen Fogarty in Newport, County Tipperary, Ireland, on December 4, 1859. Her Mother's maiden name was Mary Kennedy and her father's name was Matthew Fogarty.

Date of Entrance July 14, 1887 in Troy, NY.
Received March 19, 1888, First Profession March 19, 1890 and Final Profession 1895.

Date of Death:  March 21, 1921 at St.Joseph's Home, Troy, NY.  Burial is in St. Joseph's Cemetery, South Troy, in Plot B of the Blessed Virgin Mary's Circle.

Continued next post

Offline fogclan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 November 13 04:31 GMT (UK) »
PAGE 2

Her necrology states:

"Our dear Sister Augustine possessed the exemplary gifts of Faith and self-sacrifice in an eminent degree.  Her life was entirely devoted to the care of God' little ones, the orphans, and for these she sacrificed everything in order to make them happy.  Day and night found her ministering to the wants of the Sisters and the orphans, with that whole souled generosity that characterized her every act.  To utilize every moment in the interests of the Community was her great desire.

Her example of faith, reverence for authority and devoted sympathy for the sick were ever an impetus to her companions with whom she so lovingly and patiently worked. God alone knows and can reward her deeds of charity and self-sacrifice. May she rest in peace!"

We have no information regarding siblings, no pictures of Sister that I could find. 
Her service to the orphans was testimony to her self-sacrifice.  As anyone who cares for little children knows it is a 24/7 labor of love and her necrology certainly testifies to that.
_________

SO starting after researching the (RC) Parish of NEWPORT, TIPPERARY which is about 30 miles from THURLES I discovered some nearby (RC) Parishes as well. It was apparently not uncommon to move between parishes in this area. Using http://www.rootsireland.ie/  I determined all the Fogartys born in the Parish and nearby Parishes and isolated those with the parents of MATTHEW OR MATHEW FOGARTY and MAry KENNEDY.  This is the list I came up with:

….FATHER…….   PARISH   DATE   ...NAME….   NOTES
Matthew with TT   Newport   1825   Thomas   
Matthew with TT   Newport   1826   Mary   
MATHEW with T   Newport   1828   Mathew   x
MATHEW with T   Newport   1830   Onny   
Matthew with TT   Newport   1832   Mary   
Matthew with TT   Newport   1834   John   x
Matthew with TT   Newport   1836   Thomas   
MATHEW with T   Newport   1838   Jeremiah   x
Matthew with TT   Newport   1841   Catherine   
Matthew with TT   Newport   1843   Michael   x
Matthew with TT   Newport   1846   Margarite   
MATHEW with T   Newport   1848   Bridget   
MATHEW with T   Newport   1848   Johanna   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1849   Daniel   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1851   Patrick   
MATHEW with T   Newport   1852   Ellen   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1853   Matthew   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1855   John   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1858   Mary   
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1858   Ellen   Died 2 yrs old?
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1859   Michael   BISHOP OF KILLALOE
Matthew with TT   Youghalarra   1861   Ellen   Married

YOUGHALARRA Parrish is about 18 miles from NEWPORT            
NENAGH Parish is 15 miles from Newport            
THURLES is 30 miles from NEWPORT            

It appears the YOUGHALARRA FOGARTY's are in another TREE.  MICHAEL born in 1859 became quite well known as the BISHOP of KILLALOE.  Lots of Kennedys in this general area and not uncommon for similar names to be found, even within the same family.

SO IF THe NEWPORT FOGARTYS are in our TREE then we have some things to sort out.

AGES reported on US CENSUS do not seem to match MATTHEW or JOHN.  Then again they were off a few years for ELLEN as well.  These Are BAPTISM years as reported ( OR MISREAD) from Church records.

ELLEN and EDWARD are missing.  Was ELLEN living here but BORN elsewhere?  Perhaps she was born in another County or the records were just missed.  EDWARD is a puzzle.  Could THomas #1 or Thomas #2 go by a middle name of Edward?

ONLY 1 Marriage between MAT FOGARTY and MAry KENNEDY comes up on the ROOTSIRELAND.IE site dating 1824 in Tipperary.  Perhaps there were two the same year.

This Newport parish also had a number of COFFEYS which according to "Family verbal history" married another Fogarty gal.       

NEXT the QUINNS

Offline robertdpittman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 December 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
An update on the Mathew Fogarty / Catherine Quinn line. 

Based on the information in this thread, we have been able to identify the line in the US and in Gortnaskehy, Tipperary, Ireland.  Mathew Fogarty (1803-1873) m. Mary Kennedy (1797-) were from the Gortnaskehy area. Mary Kennedy's line is documented in "From Bun Ciamalta Vale to New South Wales" by Roger Kennedy.

A more complete Fogarty lineage is on Ancestry.com but here is a list of the direct issue of Mathew Fogarty and Mary Kennedy:
Thomas (1825-1884) m. Catherine Kearney(1825-1902)
Mary (1826-1831)
Matthew (1828-1886) m. Catherine Quinn (1835-1907)
Omny "Emma" (1830-1877) m. John Hayes (1831-1909)
Mary (1832-1904) m. Jeremiah Carey (1839)-1908)
John(1834-1900) m. Mary Maher (1847-1926)
Edward "Thomas ?" (1836-1902) m. unknown
Jeremiah (1838- ) m. Mary Obrien (1847 - )
Catherine (1841-1909) m. Patrick Morrissey(1840-1899)
Rev. Michael Mark Fogarty (1843-1902) His probate papers from Saratoga County, NY provided a wealth of information
Margaret Fogarty (1846-1903) m. James Ryan (1845-1899)
Bridget Fogarty (1848 - ) m. Patrick Flynn (1849-1909)
Ellen "Sister Mary Augustine" (1851 - 1921)

I am happy to share any additional information.
McDonough
Morrissey
Day
Kelleher
Fogarty
Farrell

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

The Fogartys of Youghallara did come from Thurles, after a fashion.
  In any given census or survey of the land, there were always been a huge amount of Fogartys to be found in and around Thurles. In the 1790s, however, the population count took a tumble when Irish landlords began – not for the last time – to evict many of their tenants. The Fogartys of Thurles were particularly affected with some fifty Fogarty families being evicted at this time. One of those families included a Daniel Fogarty and his younger sister, Bridget.
Daniel (born c.1773) and Bridget (born c.1778) together with unnamed senior family members set off from Thurles and travelled North to the small parish of Knigh, just a few miles up from Nenagh. The Fogartys set up their home by the roadside in a house whose chimney still stands, wreathed in ivy, today.
Whilst here, presumably at least one of the senior Fogarty members passed away, for the Fogartys soon either purchased or were given possession of their own plot in the local churchyard. The plot is against the outside back wall of the remains of the ancient church. It is an important spot, suggestive of a family who were held in high regard or who had attained some standing in their small community. It is thanks to the shelter that the ruined building provides that the seven Fogarty tombstones here (from which we have been able to glean much information) have survived in such good condition.
Around 1810, Daniel Fogarty married a woman named Hanna. She was in her early 20s whilst Daniel was already in his late 30s. Soon after the marriage, Hanna gave birth to a child named Patrick. Around 1814, a brother, Matthew was born, and around 1824, a girl, Eliza, joined the family. 
Perhaps finding the house at Knigh too small, the Fogartys moved on to a larger farm property in the nearby village of Kilcolman, not too far away from Knigh.
The house at Kilcolman was – and still is – a two storey building consisting of three downstairs rooms and three upstairs ones, as well as having two outhouses being situated on the land. It was a very good building for its day, and the Fogartys would have been considered fairly well-off in those times.
20th July 1827, Daniel’s sister Bridget passed away. She was 49. She was buried at the left hand side of the outside back wall of old Knigh church. If a headstone was given to her at the time, it does not exist today.
Daniel and his family continued to live in Kilcolman, plying their trade as farmers. As the children began to reach adulthood, however, their mother Hanna passed away on 22nd August 1839 . She was 51 years old.
Hanna was taken back to Knigh for burial, and was placed in the plot with her sister-in-law Bridget. A headstone was erected for them, containing a dedication to both women.
The three siblings stayed with their father, working on the farm, until he too, died on 26th February 1841 aged 68. He, too, was taken back to Knigh to be buried, and was given one of the finest examples of 19th Century Irish headstone that is known to still exist. Even at the time it was considered to be of such high quality that the engraver inscribed his signature at the bottom of the stone. The main part of the stone reads, “Arise from Death and Come to Judgement.” The stone was erected in the name of Daniel’s sons Patrick and Matthew. Of Eliza there is no mention.
Soon after their father’s death, the children began to go their own way. They were...

Kirkburton Bray Morton Charlesworth Kay Swallow Moorhouse Walker Mathewman
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Formby Crookham Birchall Dobb Fleetwood
Childwall Fleetwood Knowles Ireland
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Warrington Bleasdale Atherton
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
East Lothian Paxton Durkie
Edinburgh Blaikie Rollock Livingstone
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
1.   Patrick Fogarty
After their father’s death, Patrick seems to disappear from the records. Irish records for this era are horribly scant, and a lot of the information must be gleaned from gravestones. There appears to be no extant gravestone to Patrick, and so we know nothing more about his life.
2. Eliza Fogarty
On the 12th April 1856, she married William Gleeson of Monsea. William was forty years old at the time of the marriage and Eliza was already thirty two, quite an advanced age for marriage at this time. William and Eliza Gleeson went to live in Monsea, a small village about one a half miles up the road from Kilcolman. Three years after the marriage, a son named Martin was born to the couple. The birth was followed four years later by that of Elizabeth . A third child, William in early 1866 .
William and Eliza Gleeson were fairly well to do farmers given the fact that the Gleesons were traditionally quite a moneyed family in the area, as well as the fact that the couple’s three children all did quite well for themselves.
William Gleeson died on Christmas Day, 1879 and was buried in Monsea Cemetery. He was 63 years old. His widow Eliza lived for another six years, being interred into the same plot on the 13th April 1887.
3.   Matthew Fogarty
Matthew Fogarty spent his life in the Knigh area, making his living as a farmer. In the 1845 General Valuation, Matthew is listed as the landowner at Kilcolman. Within the next few years, he had married a Cowm woman named Kennedy from a horse-breeding family, who was four years his junior. They were blessed with several children; Daniel (1849), Patrick (1850), Matthew (1853), John (1855), Ellen (1858), Mary (1858), Michael (1859), Ellen (1861), with possible another female.
Matthew buried his wife in 1884. By the time of the Bassett’s Directory of 1889, Matthew was in his late 70s, but is still listed as being in charge of the farm. He lived another six years after this early ‘census’, dying aged 80 on 3rd February 1894. Both Matthew and his wife are buried at Knigh.
Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton
Chirnside Paxton
Kilbarron Young Donohue Stapleton Meagher Fogarty Gleeson Meara Nevin
Kilsheelan Hennessy
Galway Nevin

Offline NNR

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 December 14 09:00 GMT (UK) »
The ‘other’ Fogartys of Knigh

Although we are as certain as we can possibly be that Daniel and Hanna Fogarty were the direct ancestors to all of the above, it is possible to make some further assumptions, based on the Fogarty graves at Knigh, which are all based around the same burial plot.

The earliest grave Fogarty at Knigh is that of John Fogarty, who died on the 6th of August 1798. No age at death is given, but we are informed that the grave was erected by his son, Timothy Fogarty. Being as Daniel Fogarty was born some 25 years before John’s death, and Bridget born some 20 years beforehand, would it be really be too much guesswork to assume that John is the father of not only Timothy, but of Daniel and Bridget, too?

Also at Knigh, we find that Cornelius Fogarty passes away on December 13th 1838. He was aged 42, placing his birth year as around 1796. This, however, places his position in the Fogarty family in some doubt. If, indeed, he was also the son of John Fogarty, then he was born just two years before his father died, and there would be quite an extravagant age gap between the two year old Cornelius and Timothy, who was old enough to go about erecting a gravestone in his father’s grave.

Of course, Cornelius could be a grandson of John Fogarty – Daniel would have been twenty three when he was born, and Bridget would have been eighteen, showing us that any sibling of theirs could feasibly have been Cornelius’ father. Either way, it seems likely that Cornelius was closely connected to ‘our’ Fogartys, although quite how, we may never know. The only other fact that we know of the man is that his son, John, erected the tombstone in his name.

There is a third ‘unknown’ Fogarty from Knigh. He went by the name of James and was born in 1814. He married Johanna, three years his junior and they had a child who they named Michael. Johanna died very young, aged just 34 on 6th November 1851. James didn’t join his wife until March 7th 1890. He was 76 years old and it was only on his death that the headstone was erected for both himself and his wife.

Penistone Micklethwaite
Liverpool Moore Durning
Kendal Coulton Derome
Essex Cooper Robinson
Suffolk Death
Lewes Spurgeon Horton