Author Topic: Would anyone be able to help with George  (Read 2907 times)

Offline joken

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Would anyone be able to help with George
« on: Saturday 21 July 12 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am looking for the correct death of George.

What I have is:
George Morris born 1831 Stanwick Northamptonshire England.  He came to Australia with brother Jesse.  Their parents were George and Elizabeth Morris - only trouble is I have found 2 death records 1911 Canterberry and 1915 Liverpool and they both have parents George and Elizabeth.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Joanne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Would anyone be able to help with George
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 04:56 BST (UK) »
I guess you are referring to the NSW BDM online index for those two deaths.    It could be that neither is your chap, as the details on any NSW dc from that era depends on the informant’s own knowledge, and on the indexer’s accuracy in reading the handwriting.

I note that the NSW online index gives limited info :
1911 registration (#9556) George MORRIS, parents given names as George & Elizabeth, registered in the Canterbury District.
1915 registration (#18745) George W MORRIS, parents given names as William & Elizabeth, registered in the Liverpool District.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistory.htm

The NSW BDM gives links to their official transcription agents.  This is an alternative way to obtain all the details on those NSW BDM certificates, without the official (and more costly) certificate.  The official transcription agents can send the transcriptions via email attachments.

Information on NSW BDM dcs includes (of course depending on the informant’s knowledge)
The deceased’s marriage/s and details about the children of each marriage, where/when the deceased was born, where/when married, how long in the colonies/states, etc as well as the medico’s statement for cause and duration causing the death, AND the burial information.

There are of course other deaths registered in NSW for people with the name George MORRIS, some only give the age and location.

ADDING I can see that in 1913 that the NSW Electoral rolls had over 50 chaps registered as MORRIS, George.   It was not compulsory to enrol, but all that were enrolled were British Subjects aged 21 and over.

Do you have any other details to give you confirmation as to where and when you chap was alive (marriage, birth of children, etc)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 05:35 BST (UK) »
Fingers crossed this link will help ... it is to TROVE, which is free to search, and includes among many fantastic things, digitised newspapers from across Australia.  It is an ongoing project.  http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28108556
Sydney Morning Herald, 4 Nov 1915
“MORRIS, The Friends of Mrs George William MORRIS and Family of Fairfield, are kindly invited to attend the Funeral of her late dearly-loved Husband and their Father, George, William”  C of E, Rookwood.

(Fairfield  …. within the NSW BDM’s 1915 Liverpool District)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 06:24 BST (UK) »
Do you know when & where he arrived with his brother?

Have you located & traced Jesse's life & movements?

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:05 BST (UK) »
Jesse MORRIS arrived in 1851 on the Emperor.  Aged 21, born Stanwick, Northamptonshire, parents George and Elizabeth, father George MORRIS living at Parramatta.

He is on his own, no brother with him.  There are other MORRIS's on the ship but they are from Lincolnshire and have no relatives in the colony.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry, sister Alice MORRIS was also onboard, aged 17, a laundress.

Debra  :)

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:28 BST (UK) »
There are two Males one George the other JESSE having children in the Clarence River area (Grafton) in the late 1850's early 60's

Jesse married to Anne/Ann and George married to in 1855. Johanna/Joanne/Ann/anne

4 children apiece.

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:39 BST (UK) »
Jesse MORRIS arrived in 1851 on the Emperor.  Aged 21, born Stanwick, Northamptonshire, parents George and Elizabeth, father George MORRIS living at Parramatta.

NSW SRO index has a George MORRIS ex the Portsea 1838, tried Northampton Ass.  Tof L Passport 16 Jul 1849 on recommendation Parramatta Bench.    Could be the chap that was Jesse’s father at Parramatta   :)

Oops, adding, and a CP for George 1 Sept 1851.

Cheers,  JM

Offline joken

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:42 BST (UK) »
To all who have helped,many,many thanks for this info.  Yes the Clarence River "Morris" are in the line also.
Joanne