Author Topic: Seperated....or not?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Seperated....or not?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 July 12 20:10 BST (UK) »
You hint at the theatre, so thought you might me interested-
1867 Marriage
Charles Nugent a printer father Charles Nugent a comedian
Diana Sidden father Samuel - deceased.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 July 12 20:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Jennifer....your guess was spot on....That is the marriage of Charles and Mary Nugent's eldest son, Charles Sidden Nugent

The marriage was illegal as Charles junior married his mothers younger sister, which possibly explains why they married in a church across the river from where they normally lived and some facts on the certificate were either left off or not exactly accurate! :o

No sure if they were ever found out. However Diana Nugent nee Sidden died in 1881 but her death was registered or possibly re-registered in her maiden name with a note written on the side 9 years later which was a legal declaration by Charles Sidden Nugent that Diana was a spinster, therefore not not his wife at the time of her death.

He may have had to do this before he could marry again, which he did in 1892, although he had already been living with his 2nd wife as man and wife long before their marriage.....bit of a rebel was Charles Junior! ;)
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 July 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can't find 56  Princes Square Kensington in 1861, but in 1871 Frank C Hiteman, a civil engineer, and his wife Fanny E Hiteman, their 7 children and 5 servants were living there,so it was obviously a private house.
Is it Kennington or Kensington? ???

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 12 21:45 BST (UK) »
Its Kennington 1st Surrey....not Kensington

I have access to FindMyPast so have checked the address
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 12 22:23 BST (UK) »
That one I gave you is wrong then as that was Kensington. If it's Kennington, you need the Lambeth one  http://mapco.net/cary1837/cary44.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 23 July 12 22:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks Groom  :)

I realised that it was the wrong one when I went to take a look at it for myself, however I have managed to find the right one as I did a street search on FindMyPast....it also looks like a family home but none of the names involved where living at the address in either 1861 or 1871 and I didn't recognise those that were at the address as having connections to my Nugent/Sidden family
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 July 12 08:53 BST (UK) »
To revert to your original question about why this couple separated (if they did), I'd say that's probably unanswerable.

We can know facts, ie where someone was staying on census night, or who they married, or who they left their money to, but we can only guess at why.  People separated for the same reasons they do now, because they don't want to live together or because work separates them. 

The only instance I have of separation in my own tree is my gt grandfather's 2nd wife's parents, who aren't actually my blood relatives as I'm descended from his first wife.  2nd wife was Katherine Isenschmid/t and her parents are separated on 1891 census.  I found out that the reason for this was because Jacob Isenschmid was insane and had threatened to kill his wife.  He was suspected briefly of being Jack the Ripper!  He eventually ended up in Colney Hatch Asylum where he died.  Interestingly my gt grandfather Charles had an uncle who ended up in Broadmoor and I've wondered whether that is why he and Katherine didn't have any children - but that's just speculation.  So much in family history is unprovable.
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 July 12 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeuel

Interesting story to have in your family history. How did you uncover the fact he was suspected of being Jack the Ripper?

Yes, much in family history is speculation and that's probably all I will ever be able to do in the case of Charles and Mary Nugent.

My best guess if they had separated was due to Mary being ill. She'd had 11 children three of which had died as infants, the last one in 1857, so only four years before I found her on the 1861 as a visitor at the home of Mr Moran. PND was little known or understood in those days. If she was suffering from such a problem, with his long hours at the theatre, Charles Nugent certainly would not have had the time to care for his wife so maybe set her up in a home of her own and supplied her with a fund on which she could live.

That of course maybe the more romantic version...it could be they simply had enough of each other or it was just coincidence that Mary was not at home on both of the recorded occasions.
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire