Author Topic: Lavarins Court, Harolds Cross.  (Read 1537 times)

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lavarins Court, Harolds Cross.
« on: Monday 23 July 12 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi all once again,

I'm attaching an image taken from the marriage register of St Peter's C of I, Aungier Street on 1st September 1851. It's for the 2nd marrige of my 2x Gr Grandmother Maria Hood (otherwise Whitlow). Her address appears to be Lavarins Court, Harolds Cross. Her being resident in Harolds Cross would make sense as she had recently travelled from London to marry and the groom was stationed in Portabello Barracks, Rathmines at the time.
I can't find any mention of Lavarins Court in Griffiths or any street directory from the period. I have also searched all of Dublin in Griffiths just using the Term "court" but nothing even resembling Lavarins showed up.
I have searched the early OS maps of the area online and can see nothing that might be it except La Vere's (Laveres) Terrace close to Harolds Cross Bridge. These appear to have been servicemens cottages (which might make sense) but don't appear to have been built until after this period.
Would anybody know if there was a Lavarins Court and where it was or possibly suggest an alternative.

Thanks a million
Cheers
Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Lavarins Court, Harolds Cross.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Thom's 1850 has a small side street, or possible terrace, listed on Harold Cross named Lavaria's Lane. It's located between numbers 6 and 7 and based on the number and the fact that it's listed in St. Peter's means it was on the east side of the road, near to the canal. It seems to indicate that the lane consisted on 'nine small cabins', and was located just south of Wharton Terrace.

Number 7 is listed as John Lavaria, vintner, so likely any lane or court was possibly his property.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 July 12 17:30 BST (UK) »
by 1856 the listing has changed - no Lavaria Lane or Court, just number 1 and 2, then an entrance to Wharton terrace, 3,4,5,6 as tenements and number 7 John Lavaria, vintner.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 July 12 17:34 BST (UK) »
John Lavaria is listed on Griffith's with several listings in St. Peter's parish, including a Lavaria Lane.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline hotfix123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 July 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks a million for that guys.
You are truly amazing. This is not the first time you have helped me out of a hole.

Yes, Lavaria's Lane (later Terrace) has to be it. No1 is listed in Griffiths as a fairly substantial lodging house. As she had only recently arrived from London it is entirely possible she was living there at the time of the marriage.
The early OS map shows, though it doesn't name, what appears to be a laneway with several buildings just south of Wharton Tce and that is very probably Lavaria's Lane. Superimposing the modern map on this you can see that the present day La Vere Terrace corresponds exactly with this lane.   
This was only ever a temporary address for her as she married a soldier and later moved from posting to posting. After he retired they settled and lived the rest of their lives in Woolwich, London.
By coincidence her daughter also married a soldier and after he retired they lived the rest of their lives in Orr's Terrace just over Harolds Cross Bridge and only about 200 yards from Lavaria's Lane. Small world.

Yep, problem solved.
Thanks a million again.
Cheers
Phil
Murphy; Avoca, Wicklow & Dublin City. Harling; Dublin & Meath. Grimes; Dublin. Potter; Dublin. Eccles; Dublin. Hanlon; Swords, Dublin & Royal Artillery. Hood; Ballinderry, Antrim & Royal Artillery. Whitlow; Woolwich, London & Royal Artillery