Author Topic: Request Lookup Dingley of Bridgwater, Somerset  (Read 4032 times)

Offline dingley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request Lookup Dingley of Bridgwater, Somerset
« on: Tuesday 24 July 12 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hello! Trying to find any information on the Dingleys of Bridgwater, Somerset in the 1850s or a bit earlier.

Henry J Dingley b:1830 in Bridgwater. Would like to know of parents, granparents, sibling. Possibly related to Edward Dingley b: 1827 in Bridgwater. Married to Francis (Fanny or Franny) in Bridgwater. Both of the Dingleys (and in Edward's case) came to America and settled in Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana. The only two sets of Dingleys that settled there at that time. Both left from Bridgwater and sailed a few years a part. Henry J first in 1852 followed by Edward and Fanny in 1856. St. Mary's Parish might have some answers but, I don't know how to access those records from over here.

Any help a blessing!!!

Heather Dingley ancestor of the Somerset Dingleys!
Dingley, Bridgwater, Somerset, England, St. Mary's, St. John the Baptist, The Shoe Factory- Bridgwater, Ropewalk, Ports of Bridgwater, Quakers in Bridgwater

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Request Lookup Dingley of Bridgwater, Somerset
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, welcome to Rootschat

There is this family in the 1841 census in Bridgwater

HO107; Piece: 971  Folio: 33; Page: 9
Monmouth Street, Bridgwater

John Dingley   35   
Eliza Dingley   35
Edward Dingley   15
Henry Dingley   12
William Dingley   8
James Dingley   6
Hellen Dingley   4
Edward Dingley   25
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline syljun

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
I have a Martha Dingley who married John Haddon 3rd August 1740 at St.Mary, Bridgwater. Unfortunately have not researched Dingley side but may be one of yours. Regards, Syljun

Offline dingley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you syljun and groom!! I believe you have my ancestors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dingley, Bridgwater, Somerset, England, St. Mary's, St. John the Baptist, The Shoe Factory- Bridgwater, Ropewalk, Ports of Bridgwater, Quakers in Bridgwater

Offline dingley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I have another request about an Edward Dingley b:07 NOV 1874. Brother, John (don't know birthdate). John immigrated to New York and stayed, Edward immigrated 21 Oct 1891, was naturalized 20 June 1904 and lost his wife, Catherine (met and married in New York), in the sinking of the Lusitania as she was sailing back to her native Ireland to visit family.

Any chance you could check the census for somerset (Bridgwater and possibly Bristol) for 1875 - 1890? I'm thinking they were brothers of either William or James dingley of Bridgwater, Somerset (b: 1833 and 1835 respectively). They could even be grandchildren.

Any help appreciated!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:18 BST (UK) »
There are none with an Edward and John showing up in Somerset, but there is this family in Birmingham in 1881

RG11; Piece: 2994; Folio: 63; Page: 30
52, Ct 3 Ho, Farm St, Birmingham

All born Birmingham

William Dingley   41     Pearl Button turner             Birmingham
Margaret Dingley   39                                         
Mary A. Dingley   17
William Dingley   14
Agnes Dingley   10
John Dingley   8
Edward Dingley   6
Albert Dingley   2

Offline dingley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:20 BST (UK) »
Blimey that's them!! John came to New York and worked as a button turner!!!! You have no idea how grateful I am for you help, groom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:37 BST (UK) »
Glad to have been able to help.

Jan

Offline dingley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 02:04 BST (UK) »
Alrighty, now I've got to make the connection between the Dingleys of Birmingham and the Dingleys of Somerset. It would be reasonable, at the time of the mid 1800's to assume work was vastly available in Birmingham compared to Bridgwater and Birstol - am I right?
It seems that at some point one of the Dingleys of Somerset moved to Birmingham...I'm thinking Edward (he was 24 in 1841) and sort of a straggler with the John and Eliza Dingley of the 1841 census. Or - were there other Dingleys in Edgwater, Somerset?
How would I find out how many Dingleys (or Dingley families) were living in Somerset, Birmingham, etc. Are there old directories or other records that would show those numbers?
Perhaps the Bridgwater DIngley and Birmingham Dingleys are related earlier in the ancestry line (ex: 1800 Dingleys flew the coup and moved to Bridgwater and others to Birmingham?
It could be they are not related at all but, the names of the kids are either a coicindence or in honor of relatives.

Stop me if I'm aggravating!