Author Topic: Completed with Thanks -Alford, Aghabog Church of Ireland survey 1824  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Clones1818

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed with Thanks -Alford, Aghabog Church of Ireland survey 1824
« on: Tuesday 24 July 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone tell me if there are any Alford's on the Aghabog Church of Ireland survey 1824?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alford, Aghabog Church of Ireland survey 1824
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 12 22:53 BST (UK) »
I found one mention of it here- but RC copyright policy mean you cannot ask for lookups from resources with terms & conditions which would prohibit this.
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/27699416?uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21101104394821

Try contacting Clogher Historical Society who published the book-
http://www.clogherhistory.ie/home
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:16 BST (UK) »
If a person researched and viewed the original 1824 survey manuscript at the National Archives in Dublin, the data copied in the researcher's own hand isn't copyrighted to the Clogher Historical Society (which is a wonderful organization) or other publishing company or society/entity. Perhaps someone can help from personal research notes, if the CHS staff don't respond. I did view this original manuscript a few years ago, but I didn't take down all the names -- too many and not enough time! -- only the names of my ancestors and relatives.

Regards,
Annie

Offline anniehadden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 12 06:24 BST (UK) »
Not looking at my notebooks, but recalling sources, I think the 1824 survey was at the RCB library in Dublin (Representative Church Body Library, with archival holdings of the Church of Ireland). There may have been a copy at the National Archives which is also in Dublin. I've spent a lot of time at both places, and my notes aren't all typed into the computer. Aghabog Parish Church of Ireland records ARE at the RCB library, as are a number of other Co. Monaghan church records.

If you're researching Protestant Aghabog-resident ancestors, keep in mind that although the earliest registers of the Aghabog Church of Ireland haven't survived, they do have marriages 1845+ and baptisms/burials 1877/78+. Vestry minutes exist from 1814+ -- all of which might include your ancestors' names.

Killeevan parish Church of Ireland records start in 1811, and Newbliss Church of Ireland records in 1841.

Annie