Author Topic: a WW2 grave  (Read 2314 times)

Offline veekay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
a WW2 grave
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 11:50 BST (UK) »
Having found the details of a long lost family member killed in WW2 I recently visited his grave, now I knew nothing of this man - he was my mothers step-brotherl I didn't know she had a step-family! The affect the visit had was astonishing, I got the shakes, I mean I really shook and when I eventually found his grave which was so neat and well tended, I broke down in tears as did my husband. It was a truely moving experience and totally unexpected. All I need to do now is to find out the details of his service record and why he died.  So people if you get the chance to make such a visit be prepared for the unexpected reaction you just might have.
Ashpool - Peterborough Cambridgeshire
Montgomery - Co. Cavan, Ireland
Ebbels - London, Devon
Wyldbore - Cambridgeshire

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: a WW2 grave
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,,I have found a couple of ancestors who died in the world wars who i didnt know about before.Makes you realise how lucky we all are,and what a sacrifice they made on our behalf. :(
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 12:32 BST (UK) »
How do I obtain Service records for WWII personnel?Widows, widowers and legal next of kin (if both the ex-Service person and their spouse are deceased) who are enquiring about the Service details of their deceased spouse/relative will be asked to provide proof of death and confirmation that they are next of kin. All others enquirers must be able to provide a letter of consent from either the person the record belongs to or, if that person is deceased, from their next of kin.

To access a record, the Service Records Offices require the following information, or as much as possible: Service number, rank, full name, date of birth and period served (dates from and to). For queries to the Army, it is necessary to state the regiment or corps in addition to the above information.

All enquiries regarding Service records must be made in writing only. Veterans and widows can obtain service records without charge. For other enquiries a fee maybe charged.

Army Records
For those who served from 1922 to the present

Army Personnel Centre
Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX
Tel: 0845 600 9663 Email: disc4@apc.army.mod.uk

Royal Air Force Records
For all since 1918.

RAF Disclosures Section
Room 221b, Trenchard Hall, RAF Cranwell, Sleaford, Lincs NG34 8HB
Tel: 01400 261201 Ext 6711

OR

PMA (Personnel Management Agency, (SP IN 1b)
Room 5, Building 248a, RAF Innesworth, Gloucester GL3 1EZ
Tel: 0128 322 7913

Polish Records are now at RAF Northolt Tel: 020 8833 8603

Royal Naval / Marines Records
From 1924 onwards, contact:

TNT Archive Services
Tetron Point, William Nadin Way, Swadlingcote, Derbyshire DE11 0BB
Tel: 0128 322 7913

For those serving during and after World War II, contact:

Director Naval Personnel
Mailpoint G2, Room 48, West Battery, Whale Island, Portsmouth PO2 8DX

The Veterans UK website has further information concerning Service records and includes official search forms.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Halifaxman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
For info

NB: RAF Innsworth* closed approx 5 years ago. RAF Cranwell assumed control of disclosures work and the PMA no longer exists . . .   

*Now Imjin Barracks home to the (multi national) ARRC (Allied Rapid Reaction Corps) 

Kind Regards

Halifaxman

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 12 00:45 BST (UK) »
The WW2 personal service records of men and women who served in the "Forgotten Fourth Service" the Merchant Navy are obtainable from the National Archive. Series BT382 and BT372.
Other timescales see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/atoz/m.htm#
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022