Author Topic: Mclauchlan family in Canada  (Read 4180 times)

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mclauchlan family in Canada
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 12 22:22 BST (UK) »
You absolute star, the info you have found for me is fantastic and gives me loads more leads to go on, i cant take it all in at the minute.
I have had a look at the ottawa deaths and it looks like i need to pay to open the guest book for them but to actually have names of hopefully still living relatives that knew these people is 100% worth it so thats my first job in the morning.
Where did you find the marrige of J h Mclauchlan to eleanor guthrie in 1931, its really interesting as john was married to Elizabeth when they first emigrated to canada so she must of died pretty young.
Again thankyou so so much its more than i thought anyone could find on these people and lets just hope i can get in touch with the mclauchlan family that still live out there.
A very greatful
Dawn

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 July 12 22:39 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome! I wouldn't bother with that guestbook. Just look at the obit for Eleanor and it gives you the name of the living son of John H  -- also named in the obit for John T -- but in Eleanor's it gives you the location; hint: it's Nova Scotia. ;)

Just go to Canada411 and search for the surname in NS and there he is.

This is the link to the site with the marriage, offered as info only and without any endorsement or suggestion that you pay to view there:
http://www.mesaieux.com/an/familles/G/4/Guthrie/exact

The damned thing about it, of course, is that some of these people were still living when you started looking ... but the only way they were finally found was by way of the obituaries. :(

edit - I did the register-for-free thing at that site, and it shows John-Heathe Mc-Laughlan and Eleanor Lily Guthrie marrying in 1931 in Gatineau, QC. At that time it was called Hull ... it hadn't been called Wrightsville for a while by then, I think. It is the city on the Quebec side of the Ottawa River directly across from Ottawa. Nepean, Almonte and Bell's Corners are all outlying parts of Ottawa, now. So at some point they moved out of Quebec, but just over a bridge.

I remember that site from looking at it quite some time ago -- as I recall, it's Quebec-based and had a joint project going with a university to create its databases. Yes: http://www.mesaieux.com/an/territoire.asp
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline GailMcL

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 September 21 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Dawn, My name is Gail McLauchlan, and my husband is Gordon McLauchlan. His parents were John and Eleanor McLauchlan. My father in law John’s first wife Elizabeth passed away from tuberculosis in Montreal, leaving him a widower with two young sons, my husband’s late half brothers, John and William. He met my mother in law Eleanor ( known by her second name, Lily ) in the late 1920’s, and they married in 1930. Gordon was born in 1934.