Author Topic: John BULFIN b 1836 son of William BULFIN of Corrigeen  (Read 12068 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: John BULFIN b 1836 son of William BULFIN of Corrigeen
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 July 12 14:05 BST (UK) »
that Bulfin family definitely look like a good possibility as relations to your John, maybe a younger brother ? ... worth following up.

According to Ryan's Irish Records the historic Church of Ireland records for the parish which cover this area (Eglish) are as listed as lost.

There's two early civil marriage records on the BMD Index in the area for the surname Bulfin that might be worth checking :

Bulfin marriages 1845 -1870 / Parsonstown

and also some extracted civil marriage details for the surname - including a two  that mention districts or parishes in King's County - i.e. Ettagh and Eglish :

Bulfin marriages 1846 to 1880

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 July 12 14:15 BST (UK) »
another possible sibling ?

a marriage in St. Catherine's CofI Dublin in 1859 of a William Bulfin with father William, a land Steward. Bride's name is Catherine Sutherland and her residence is shown as Parsonstown/Birr...

see : link

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Thanks for your help, I'll try and help too
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 July 12 21:03 BST (UK) »
Wow, what a difference a night's sleep makes!  I woke up and found more replies on this thread and more possibilities  :D

Thank you both so much!

:-*

KG
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Timmol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 October 14 21:29 BST (UK) »
Kiwi Girl

As I am doing research on William Bulfin the Irish Argentine writer, your quest interests me. Bulfin is quite a rare name in Ireland and they originate mostly in Co. Offaly (formerly King's County). As other posters have shown, there is a good deal of information on the internet, genealogical as well as historical - please also google William Bulfin, writer and Sir Stanislaus Bulfin. The person you are helping is almost certainly related to them, however distantly. I have tried to fit your 'John, son of William', into what I have learned so far about the Bulfins, but without success. The name William particularly, occurs very often in the genealogy. However, I discovered the following recent death notice online: you can also check it out for yourself:

The death has occurred of Francis John (Frank) BULFIN
Corrigeen, Fivealley, Birr, Offaly
Bulfin, Corrigeen, Fivealley, Birr, Co. Offaly, August 6th,2014.

There are Bulfins still resident in Corrigeen. Perhaps you might consider writing to them? Wishing you luck.

Timmol

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 October 14 00:31 BST (UK) »
Yay more threads to pull for my cousin in law ;)
Jamieson (Aberdeenshire / Otago). Watt (Aberdeenshire/ Southland), Lane (Nova Scotia / England / South Island), Brown (Paisley / Abbey Eat Taieri), Houseal/  Hausihl (Germany / Philadelphia / Nova Scotia / Dover / South Island), Gillespie (Glasgow / Ireland), Farquharson, Urquhart, Kaua (East Coast, North Island), Hughes (Anglesea / East Coast, North Island), Boyd (Scotland / East Coast, North Island), Bulfin (south Island)

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 October 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Headstones in Eglish cemetery
---------
William Bulfin Corrigeen-10/8/1886 (74)

wife-Anne (nee Greene)-7/6/1886 (65)

son-Thomas-12/1/1917 (60)

his wife-Elizabeth (nee Hamilton)-15/3/1912 (60)
------------------------------------
Eamon Bulfin-Died Xmas Eve 1968
He was in command of Pearses Rathfarnham Company during the Rising of Easter Week 1916, and was privileged to raise the Flag over the GPO on Easter Monday morning.
-------------------------------------------------------
William Olive Bulfin- 12/7/1955......23/8/1955

Annlawn Roche Kelly Bulfin-7/31963.....18/5/1963

Joanne Paula Bulfin-27/2/1979.....7/6/1979

Nora Bulfin-ex Cumann na Mbann-12/10/1980 (80)

her grandson-Herbert Bulfin-25/10/1981 (23)

Edward William Bulfin-16/11/1997 (69)
--------------------------------------------
Ruby Bulfin (nee Crampton) Corrigeen Five Alley-4/7/2008 (82)
------------------------
William Bulfin-Corrigeen Five Alley-2/9/1957 (79)

eldest son-Robert Bulfin-26/8/1923 (1year-7months)

his wife-Dinah (nee Pardy)-13/12/1981
======================================
Jack

Offline Kiwi Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 05:37 GMT (UK) »
That is fabulous!  Is Bulfin a rare enough name that they would be related to the one who came to New Zealand?  I will see if I can find a death notice here and hopefully connect the dots...

Offline Johnbhoward

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 10 November 14 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'v been doing some research on the Hynes Family from Carrigeen King's Co. Neighbours of the Bulfins. It's a very small townland ( see map http://thecareystree.weebly.com/anne-ferman-1865.htm) only the two families. In 1902 Thomas Bulfin and his son John got caught up in a feud between two members of the Hynes Families. (See court records http://thecareystree.weebly.com/court.html) Thomas Bulfin's neice Mary Ann was married to one of the Hynes, Francis. The Bulfins are Church of Ireland Presbyterian. Hope this helps a bit. John

Offline ASkinner71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 10 March 15 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Is this the same John Bulfin that married Isobel Moore in Nov 1868, & died in 1910?

If so, his parents would have been William Bulfin & Ann Greene
 ::)
Wide variety of names, mostly Bulfin & Pardy starting in Ireland; Wilson from Scotland and Ford, Taylor, Skinner [with Colmer connections] from England