Author Topic: COMPLETED - Royal Army Medical Corps  (Read 3659 times)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Royal Army Medical Corps
« on: Wednesday 30 June 04 21:58 BST (UK) »
I have someone in my family tree who served in the R.A.M.C. in the second world war. He was wounded at Dunkirk. I believe he had, at that time, the rank of Sgt. However, his correct christian names and date of birth are unknown for certain. He may have been Hector or Harry or Aaron and he may have born anywhere from 1903 to 1914. However, we do know his correct surname and those details. How can I trace his miltary record?
Hackstaple
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Royal Army Medical Corps
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 July 04 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Hackstaple,
I did a Google search for the RAMC this is their website

http://www.army.mod.uk/medical/royal_army_medical_corps/
they may be able to help you. Their base is in  Surrey near where I live.
I also did a search on this site there has been some postings before with regard to military records I think its the National Archives site you need? www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
From other reading I think the records are at Kew. I think you may need to have his correct birth year though, can you find this in the BMD Index?
hope this little bit of info helps.
Pauline.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 July 04 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again, another search on this site , this link may help - tracing army records, found this from message posted by PaulineHutton, topic 1871 Irish Census (serving British soldier)  sorry don't know how to link thread :
http://www.catalogue.nationalarchives.gov.uk/researchguidesindex.asp
Pauline.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 20:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks fot your posting re the RAMC ancestor. I have since sent an enquiry to Army Records in Glasgow. I will let you all know what happened with that.
The problem with this particular family member is that, even on legal documents, he used different Christian names! - Always the same surname. And - a search of the Births from 1907 to 1912 [the only possible years of birth] shows no birth under any of those names!
Ain't ancestors irritating!
Hackstaple
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 06:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple,
Would like to know the result of your enquiry with Army Records when you have it.
Yep ancestors are very annoying! I have one who was registered (birth) as Elfred, married as Albert and died as Alfred ;D
I have another whose birth I just can't find too, no where to be seen, and can't find her on the 1901 despite trying all the advice I've been given ??? oh well keep looking....

Offline cowboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Army Medical Corps
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 July 04 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Your relatives doc`s are held in glasgow,below is the address and tele number,

THE ARMY  PERSONNEL  CENTRE
 CIVIL SECRETARIAT
  HISTORICAL DISCLOSURES, MP 400
   KENTIGERN HOUSE, 65 BROWN STREET
    GLASGOW G2 8EX.

Telephone 0141 2243512

You have to ring up, ask for an application pack, but i`m afraid theres a 6-7 months backlog for ex servicemens record searches.

Cheers. Ian  ;D
I would be greatful for any details on the following,Pextons in sheffield,kirkburton/kirkheaton, and hull.

cheers Ian.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Army Medical Corps
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 July 04 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you all who offered help as to tracing someone through army [RAMC] records. This is waste of time and effort - the objective being to avoid giving any information. Also the professional military history tracers are useless unless your ancestor was an officer about 100 years ago! Other Ranks did not count - they were common cannon-fodder.
However, I found the information via a distant family contact. The GOOD NEWS is that from January 2005 such records of WWII servicemen will be in the public domain!