Author Topic: Campbells in Lisnagannell and Leganny Townlands Aghaderg Parish Co Dow  (Read 1933 times)

Offline gumleaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All
Am seeking any Campbells-  families /descendants of a Hans and James Campbell  who were farming
in this area around 1796( Flax Growers List )as well as in Leganny .I believe they may  have been brothers-James born c.1770( James my g.g.g.grandfather) and Hans a little earlier.

The Memorial Deed from Dublin dated 30 April 1798  has I believe, this Hans passing on parts of his lease held in Lisnagannell and Leganny  to sons Alexander and Hans jnr and a son Hugh -should he demand it  when he returns from the Army -I wonder if he returned? 

Leganny was held by Thomas Morris Jones of Moneyglass
in the county of Antrim
Lisnaganell  was held under Captain Mucullagh of Claddy in Co Armagh

In the will of John Todd of Ringclare in Donnockmore 1727

Todd had been a rent receiver to William Morris Jones and his lease of Ranbs ? in Co Armagh and Co Down was jointly
With Hans Campbell of Lisnagannell  ( for lives forever ) from Roth Jones.

My James left for IOM  in the 1830s.He and wife Sarah Donaldson ,  had sons Alexander ,Thomas  William( 1816 ) and a daughter Ann in Ireland .Son William came to Australia in 1838  and now the descendants are scattered around Australia

Are there any descendants out there who may have migrated to other lands or stayed in N Ireland

Do I try and research the Estate Rolls and where ? to try and find out more about these families in Ireland
ANY Help appreciated

Thankyou  so much

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells in Lisnagannell and Leganny Townlands Aghaderg Parish Co Dow
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 12 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Various Campbells are mentioned in the Ros Davies site. See http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Afrontpage.htm

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 12 08:47 BST (UK) »

Do I try and research the Estate Rolls and where ? to try and find out more about these families in Ireland
ANY Help appreciated

There’s no comprehensive holding of estate records. Some estate records have been deposited in PRONI, Belfast. Others are either lost eg in the 1922 fire at the Dublin Public Record Office, or still held by the relevant family. You can search PRONI’s catalogue on-line, but the records themselves are not on-line. They are mostly in paper form and if you are unable to go yourself you would to get a researcher to do it for you. Estate records vary considerably. Sometimes you get detailed lists of tenants and maps, others very little. Can be pot luck.

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/ecatalogue.htm
Elwyn

Offline gumleaves

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 12 00:38 BST (UK) »
Thankyou  for the replies to my query/Yes I know of Ros Davies Site-it is a great  help.

Seems like I will have to seek the help of  a researcher .

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 24 04:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you made any progress with this? I have an ancestor Hans Campbell whose son Robert b abt 1836 m Eliza Jane Nelson 1858 Lisburn Registry office. When married his address was Begny, both he and father labourers. Witnesses were Robert Campbell and Sarah Ervine. I had thought his father was the Hans m Mary Bell 1835 Lisburn but his address was Glen Conway which seems to be in Glenavy and he migrated to Canada before 1851.

Any clues on sorting this out would be great.

Hi All
Am seeking any Campbells-  families /descendants of a Hans and James Campbell  who were farming
in this area around 1796( Flax Growers List )as well as in Leganny .I believe they may  have been brothers-James born c.1770( James my g.g.g.grandfather) and Hans a little earlier.

The Memorial Deed from Dublin dated 30 April 1798  has I believe, this Hans passing on parts of his lease held in Lisnagannell and Leganny  to sons Alexander and Hans jnr and a son Hugh -should he demand it  when he returns from the Army -I wonder if he returned? 

Leganny was held by Thomas Morris Jones of Moneyglass
in the county of Antrim
Lisnaganell  was held under Captain Mucullagh of Claddy in Co Armagh

In the will of John Todd of Ringclare in Donnockmore 1727

Todd had been a rent receiver to William Morris Jones and his lease of Ranbs ? in Co Armagh and Co Down was jointly
With Hans Campbell of Lisnagannell  ( for lives forever ) from Roth Jones.

My James left for IOM  in the 1830s.He and wife Sarah Donaldson ,  had sons Alexander ,Thomas  William( 1816 ) and a daughter Ann in Ireland .Son William came to Australia in 1838  and now the descendants are scattered around Australia

Are there any descendants out there who may have migrated to other lands or stayed in N Ireland

ANY Help appreciated

Thankyou  so much
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 February 24 08:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi have you made any progress with this?

The OP has not responded and was last online here in June 2017.

…whose son Robert b abt 1836 m Eliza Jane Nelson 1858 Lisburn Registry office. When married his address was Begny…

Link to the marriage - 15 November 1858
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1858/09553/5463489.pdf

Begny townland in the civil parish of Dromara
https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-lower-lower-half/dromara/dromara/begny/

Eliza Jane living in the townland of Ballykeel, Dromore civil parish
https://www.townlands.ie/down/iveagh-lower-lower-half/dromore/ballykeel/ballykeel/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 February 24 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kiltaglassan
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot