Author Topic: John De Pau Marriage in France  (Read 821 times)

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John De Pau Marriage in France
« on: Sunday 29 July 12 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello

Wonder if anyone can help me.

I've just discovered that one of my ancestors was John De Pau who was French. He moved with his wife Amy to Rye in Sussex circa 1690. I was wondering if anyone could find a marriage for John and Amy in France anywhere. I know it's a long shot but i thought it might be worth a go.

Thanks

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John De Pau Marriage in France
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 12 09:15 BST (UK) »
You might consider posting on www.genealogie.com - which is a French-language forum.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline quisontils

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 February 13 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Did you find the answer? Can I help you? I can speak french better than english!
I have just a question: John de Pau doesn't seem a french name, so where did
 you find this name for the first time? It would be Jean from Pau which is a french town.
Best regards
Isabelle

Offline Rich78

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello
No i still haven't found the marriage or anything on the family before coming to England. They lived in Rye in Sussex and appear in the baptism and burial records for Rye. On John and Amy's burial record its states that they were French refugees.
Hope you can help
Thanks

Offline quisontils

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 February 13 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
There are some families "de Pau" on the North of France in the Pas de Calais. You can have a look on: www.geneanet.org/
In this period, circa 1690, near of 80 000Huguenots from France refugied in England and Irland because religious persecutions. You can have a look of this period with this link( in english) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huguenot_rebellions
I don't know if it's the origine of the name "de Pau" but, you know, Pau is a town of the West south of France in the Pyrenees where was born Henri IV, king of France, protestant before became christian.
There is a very good association of genealogy for the North: http://www.gennpdc.net/
If you can't understand french, maybe you can post in Rootchat because there are a lot of english families wich have a french huguenot origin.
If I can help you, give me more informations,maybe, the names of the children of Amy and John or when they was born).