Author Topic: Burial in Newburn  (Read 4838 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Newburn
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 September 12 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen/Joanna,

You may already have this possible;
Samuel TUDOP Christened 28 June 1741, Stamfordham, Northumberland
Father JOS Tudop

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 September 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Ellen - thanks for that info - makes more sense that he was from Nesbitt Hill Head rather than Nesbitt up near the Scottish border. 

I have just come back from the northeast and went to Ovingham and was able to see the close proximity of various places where the Tulips came from.  I was rather disappointed that I only found one Tulip buried in St Mary's Ovingham and he wasn't mine!!

I'm intrigued that you are descended from Samuel and Alice and wonder how we might be related.  I'm from their son William 1779. Have you gone back any further?  I found Samuel's parents John & Jane and then John's father Samuel but not his mother.  Happy to exchange any info if you wish.  I have Samuel's death in Heworth but in 1829 from DRO age 87.  Wonder if they might be the same and a mistake been made in the date.

Trish - thanks for your info - I can't find a Joseph that early in my tree but who knows I may not have all the sibling info.

Joanna
Tulip, Button, Slater, Clay, Sleeman, Laverick, Whordley, Rowell.

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 12 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna
Yes my descent is via Sam's son another Samuel b1777, he married Dorothy Barron in Newburn in 1804 and was in Heworth by 1812. Samuel and Dorothy's 6th child Robert b 1820 Heworth was a waterman on the Tyne, and married Isabella Parkin. They had 15 children including 2nd son Samuel b1840(confusing). This Samuel and his wife died young in 1872 leaving their 4 young children including my gt grandmother Isabella to be brought up by Robert and Isabella.
I had Samuel (1746) as the son of John but I have seen trees which name his mother as Jane Hall b 1685. It is possible that J&J married in 1720 and started a family in their late 30's but Samuel was born in 1746 when Jane was 61, if she was only 20ish when she married it might be more credible (if only those pesky parish records put in more detail)
Ellen

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 September 12 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen

I've found myself questioning now whether Samuel was John & Jane's son!!
However I have found a couple of births for Jane Hall in Stamfordham in 1693 and 1700 both father's being called Robert (which is also the name of their first born).

Although there is no concrete evidence at least that would make her younger for having Samuel late in life.  I wonder given John's age whether it might have been a second marriage. I'll search further!

Joanna

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanna
Yes , if Jane was significantly younger than John it all makes much more sense.
I also have to apologise , I put the wrong date on the Newcastle Courant Inquest report.

Newcastle Courant Sat July 25th 1829
Inquest held on Wed on the body of Samuel Tulip. On 25th ult. he was going upon the wagonway at Heworth with a bundle of sticks on his back and was run down by the waggon. He lived until Tuesday last. He was 86 years old and very deaf. Verdict Accidental Death, deodand 5s.

So, the initial accident  was on the 25th June, he died 21st July(Tue) and the inquest was 22nd July (Wed).
That would suggest to me that his injuries may have been relatively minor and that he didn't die of shock or blood loss, but if bedfast for a month he could have died of pneumonia or some other complication.
Isn't it fascinating to know that our many times great grandfather was very deaf!
Ellen

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 September 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellie

Very interesting!  I suspect you're right about dying of something like pneumonia which seems to be a common killer in elderly people particularly in previous centuries. 

I have found out a bit more about Jane Hall although it is via family search user submitted trees and obviously they are not always correct.  Jane Hall born 1693 to Robert Hall and Jane Milbourn, must have died because there is also a Jane born in 1700 to the same couple both registered in Stamfordham.

Joanna

Offline snowybeatle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 March 22 17:45 GMT (UK) »
That certainly could be Alice. She was born in 1746 in Durham and that is the correct marriage in 1770 with all the children.   :)

However I'm struggling with the fact that the last two children born, James and Thomas have Samuel as coming from Nesbit which is 55 miles away from where everything else took place and I also have a baptism for him in Ovingham. Also the fact that those two baptisms have him down as a weaver but I've got him as a pitman (just can't find my source where I got that info from at the moment!).

Samuel died in Heworth in 1829.

Hello
I'm not sure if I'm late to the table on your ancestral research but Fulans Moor was also the residence of my ancestors. It is certainly shown on the 1864  1:10,560 map of Northumberland as Fewlands Moor. An earlier map, dated 1859 also shows Fewlands Moor as a small farmstead, about 3/4 mile nrth east of Harlow Hill. My x5 great grandfather, George Snowball, lived and raised his three children there from just after his marriage in Ovingham in 1786. The baptism record of his first child, Mary, in 1787 has the following "Oct 7th, Mary, daughter of George and Mary Snowball of Fulans Moor." 
It's possible to just make out the ruins of the farmstead on Google maps and we got within a few hundred meters of it when we visited the area but it sits on M.O.D. land, so access is restricted.
I'm not sure how useful this is but you never know!
Snowball, Laidler, Smart, Timms, Lawrence

Offline JoTH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum - what a cutie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Snowybeatle, any info is always useful and interesting, however late - mind you I did have to reread the thread!
What a lovely name your greats had "Snowball"  :)
Joanna