Author Topic: HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S.  (Read 18628 times)

Offline SavorSave

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HORSBURGH, JAMES, F.R.S.
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 20:11 GMT (UK) »
BTW another direct descendant of James Horsburgh is Margaret, Countess of Mar, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_Mar,_31st_Countess_of_Mar.

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 December 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Harry
I have been trying to remember my reasons for linking William Horsburgh with Crail. I think it came down to name, date(there is a William Horsburgh, apprentice shoemaker 1685, in Crail) and occupation. This is not, I agree definitive but it was my best guess at the time. finding a marriage for William Horsburgh and Mary Bickerton would be a great help or, identifying an origin for Mary Bickerton. Anyway I think there probably would be some link between Horsburghs who were shoemakers in such close proximity, who was the first cobbler?

Offline Ellie B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 December 13 13:46 GMT (UK) »
Richard
I think I might have found a trail for James Lane.
Charles Henry Lane, B 1846 Herne Hill, (son of James Lane and Elizabeth Horsburgh); 1851 census, Herne Hill with parents and siblings; 1861, Herne Hill with Uncle James Horsburgh McDonald and siblings; 1871, Herne Hill occupation teacher, with Uncle James and brother John McDonald Lane; 1881 Wellington College, occupation assistant schoolmaster. After that I had no trace of him, but I have just found a record of his death and funeral in the Reading Mercury Sat 6 Dec 1884. (via findmypast). The account is very detailed and full of Victorian relish for sentimentality and funeral pomp.
He was the Bursar of Wellington College and died 29th Nov 1884, funeral Mon 1st Dec, Funeral procession 250 yards long, list of mourners, hymns sung at the service in Crowthorne, "Dead March" in Saul as coffin carried to the grave which was lined with green moss and white chrysanthemums and description of the coffin(polished oak with massive brass handles).
The interesting thing is that the leading mourners were "deceased's father and two nephews", the two nephews could have been Clayton Arbuthnot Lane who was 16, and his brother ,Frank McDonald Lane who was 14.
I checked the National Probate Calendar (ancestry) which has Charles Henry Lane, late of Wellington College, probate granted to James Lane of Torrington in the county of Devon , Gentleman, the Father and next of kin!
This suggests that James Lane was alive in 1884, but where he had been and why were his children living with Uncle James H McDonald?
This might be a massive red herring but all the evidence seems to fit, so good luck.
Ellen

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 December 13 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I believe that shoemaker was the commonest of all trades, and Horsburgh was a common surname in the East Neuk, but I agree it's tempting to imagine that the Elie and Crail Horsburghs were related.

I know of 10 children born to William Horsburgh, shoemaker in Elie, and his wife Mary Bickerton between 1695 and 1720. Haven't got a marriage for them, or a birth for Mary, but a David Bickertoune in Dysart and Marion Dais in Elie were married on 1st December 1671. Another (or the same?) David Bickertoune married Margaret Harvie in 1678 in Elie. I think the DB from Dysart moved to Elie after marrying Marion Dais/Deas then after her death he married Mgt. Harvie. Well, I like things nice and neat!

I seem to be on a roll with Horsburghs at the moment. In my last post I mentioned a fellow Horsburgh descendant in Kenya. He has been researching our ancestor Lock Horsburgh's career at the whaling, and has identified the whaling ships in which he served. An article he has written will be in the next issue of the Fife Family History Society journal.

Harry

Offline Greig seeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
I have information on a James Horsburgh who lived in Lochmaloney House not far from Kilmany in Fife. A relative, James Greig, of whom I am a direct descendant was reported as working for him. In the 1861 Census he was working as a general servant to James Horsburgh, Landed proprietor, and was living in accommodation in Lochmalony Mansion in Kilmany. He had worked in Lochmaloney house for over 20 years.

If this is the same James Horsburgh, then I have information and photographs of Lochmaloney House.
GREIG, HELLARD

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 March 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I have information on a James Horsburgh who lived in Lochmaloney House not far from Kilmany in Fife. A relative, James Greig, of whom I am a direct descendant was reported as working for him. In the 1861 Census he was working as a general servant to James Horsburgh, Landed proprietor, and was living in accommodation in Lochmalony Mansion in Kilmany. He had worked in Lochmaloney house for over 20 years.

If this is the same James Horsburgh, then I have information and photographs of Lochmaloney House.

This James Horsburgh was born in Edinburgh in 1810 to Major Horsburgh of Pitbladdo and his lady wife. So rather a posh Horsburgh. But on looking him up in the 1861 census of Kilmany I was interested to see that he had a servant called Agnes Peebles, aged 51, born Ceres. I thought I knew who she was and confirmed my suspicions from Scotlandspeople. Agnes died in St. Andrews in 1881, aged 70 "former housekeeper", and her parents were Alexander Peebles and Jane Mackie. I have extensive files on the Peebles families of Fife and that Alexander Peebles was a brother of my 4 x great-grandfather James Peebles in Carnbee. So thanks for that!

Harry

Offline LostScottishRite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 October 23 03:58 BST (UK) »
My mother is Doris Horsburgh born in Glasgow 79yrs old today. We live in Caanda. Her mother was Mary Horsburgh and dad Joseph Horsburgh. Hope this helps She had a brother James. Bryan