Author Topic: Rourke's Manchester  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rourke's Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 August 12 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

It would be a miracle, quite frankly, if every single person in the country was captured on a census.

The enumerators did a great job as it is - going from house to house, often having to fill in the household return for the many people who couldn't read or write. In the towns particularly, many families shared a house - and a cellar! Often they rented just one room. It would be incredibly difficult for an enumerator to know whether he had accounted for everyone in a particular building.

In addition people did move about -- they could arrive to live in a different house AFTER an enumerator had 'done' that area - and BEFORE another one had covered the area they had left. Thereby being missed altogether.

People from the south moved to the north for work -- travelling by canal -- whilst returns were supposed to be done in these cases - I suspect many were not.

So to answer your question -- you will not necessarily find an ancestor on a census -- but in the vast majority of cases you will.

With a name like 'Rourke' you will probably find many mis-spellings or mis-transcriptions. To search on a census it is often easier to search on the christian name of a child only, with an approx birth year -- and insert a father or mother's christian name in the appropriate field.

You can also use a wild card -- ie an asterisk* - after the first 3 letters --- or at the beginning of a name, and input the last 3 letters. However, with 'Rourke' -- you cannot guarantee just where a mis-spelling may occur, so a wild card may not work.

You can also try a birthplace search -- but Manchester was a big place so that may not be practical. Other people may be able to give you other hints and tips, but I hope this is of some assistance.

Regards June

Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline pokerlynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 August 12 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone i think i have sorted it out with your help.

Edward Rourke Married Catherine Connor 1855

CENSUS 1861 ROAK     CENSUS 1871 ROOK   CENSUS 1881 ROURKE

Catherine is a widow in 1881 Census   

Edward Rourke Died 1875

James Rourke Married Elizabeth Sykes 1877

1861 Census Margaret Rourke 1857    Found Margaret Rourke Died 1866 age 10 in Manchester.

1871 Census Ben Rourke  i can only find one Benjamin Rourke in Manchester Births

Parents Names Peter & Mary Rourke so i think he was a visitor he's not listed in 1881 Census with Catherine.

1881 Census Ellen Rourke 1862 appears she could be a visitor.

I hope now after all your help that this is my Edward Rourke.

Lynne.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 August 12 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynne,

with regard to 'daughter' Ellen in 1881 - she could be a daughter perhaps?

1871     4028/154/ 26

Ellen Rourk 10 yrs niece b Manchester

others in household at 2 Kenyon Court are:

Patrick Connor 70 yr widower b Ireland
Mary Connor 38 yrs daughter b Ireland
Bridget 17 yrs grandaughter b Ireland
John 7 yrs grandson b Manchester

regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pokerlynne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 August 12 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood

Thanks for that i checked every other way of spelling Rourke except  Rourk, that fits great Connor's would be Catherines Family 

Thanks Lynne.