Author Topic: Hartley Widow  (Read 14654 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley Widow
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 12 August 12 06:38 BST (UK) »
Fantastic,
I knew those admission records could possibly hold some vital clues,
sad the children had died though
but it does clear up the fact that they are missing from the census,
I had them in my hands ,last week and it was so frustrating having to come away from Woodhorn without having the time to look at them ,
Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 12 August 12 06:46 BST (UK) »
Ann Jacks
estimated birth 1860
death registered Tynemouth March 1868

Elizabeth Jaques ,death registered Tynmouth O/N/D 1865

Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 12 August 12 06:58 BST (UK) »
So if Isabella possibly survived into adulthood
she may have married

possible marriage Tynemouth district
to either Carl Johan Lund or James Henry Taylor

Isabella Jackes O/N/D 1885

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 12 August 12 09:08 BST (UK) »
Carl Johan LUND - that name cropped up recently in another of my posts titled "Blyth - French?/Dutch? house facing Ridley Park?" If it's the same one he was a ships chandler at Blyth. Possibly another Carl in the same family????

Poor Elizabeth - lost husband, 3 brothers and 2 of her 3 children  - women had to be tough in those days!

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:52 BST (UK) »
Gen I could only find him 1881, onboard a ship,in Newcastle,but if he is like my ancestors in North Shields he may have changed his name,
I will check back later as I have to do a few things,

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 13 August 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you again from me. I am so saddened by the death of the two girls. After she's been through the loss of her husband & 3 brothers.
I did wonder if Isabella had died because she named the daughter she had with Thomas - Isabella.
There records are wonderful, that we can know so much about our relative's lives, but they are full of their heartbreaks too.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 13 August 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
On the site of New Hartley First School, there is a brief history about the village & the Disaster, they state that the school was opened in 1862, at 20 & 21 Double Row for 140 children aged 4 - 12    'of these 120, all but 35 were fatherless'.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline fred111

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
Trini - the obituary for Thomas Legg was interesting.
 However, on following his life a bit further I find he married his second wife Eliza in 1897(4 Q). According to Wikipedia the Klondike Gold Rush was from 1897 - 99
If he went after the wedding, he wouldn't have been able to leave Eliza without financial support, especially as she had her 1st baby in 1898.
I wonder when & for how long he went to the Gold Rush!
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
PENRITH     Penrith

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Perhaps Tommy Legg was a good storyteller?  I haven't found any evidence of him being part of the Klondyke...but records are probably sketchy.  However, he did have a couple of brothers and sisters who went to America.  One of them, Robert, moved from Ohio to Seattle (lots of info there.....check out the Issaquah museum website who have a great story on 'Bad Ben Legg!...who was Thomas' nephew).  I can't dispute the Klondyke story, but then, I can't confirm it either.  He's not my direct ancestor, so I haven't researched him fully.
This family of LEGG's have proved interesting :)

Regards,

Trini.

ps...the photo I have seen of Thomas LEGG must have been with 2nd wife Eliza....as he was an old man.  I will keep searching....
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk