Author Topic: Hartley Widow  (Read 14657 times)

Offline Trini

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Hartley Widow
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 13 October 12 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz,

Photos of Thomas LEGG as promised :)

Regards,

Trini.
ALLISON/LECK/LEGG/LEMON/WINTER/RIDLEY/CRANSTON/WALTON. Northumberland and Durham

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 18 October 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
These are terrific, Trini.  Especially the one of Thomas on his own. My Grandfather had a fob watch like that. Thank you.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline Adamb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 03 December 12 10:40 GMT (UK) »
More than 30 years ago  - and before the censuses were online - in fact, before computers were being widely used for genealogy, my wife Joan and I researched the Hartley Relief Fund and published the results in the Journal of the Northumberland & Durham F H S.

We started on this because Joan has a 'disaster glass' sold to one of her ancestors to help raise funds and originally we wanted to find out if she had any ancestors involved in the Disaster.  She didn't as it turned out.  Th ancestor was in nearby Seaton Delaval Colliery.

Now many years later the NDFHS has placed our article online and here is the link: http://www.ndfhs.org.uk/Articles/HartleyDis.html - hope you enjoy it!  (Ref: Journal NDFHS, Vol 7 No. 4 (Sep 1982) pages 84 - 92).

Kind regards

Adam Bunting
Warren (Norfolk), England (Bristol area), Adams (Wilts), Barkham (Suffolk), Elsdon (Norfolk), Crew (Gloucs), Bunting (Norfolk), Matthews (Wilts)

Offline fred111

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Gt Gt Gandmother Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 07 December 12 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Adam.
 I have looked at this site several times, and it always fills me with sadness - for the men and boys who died without hope, and the families left behind to grieve.
 It is a sobering thought that it took a disaster like this to legislate that there should be more than one shaft in a pit.
 I have been down a pit at The Black Country Museum in Dudley, West Midlands. But it seemed unreal with no activity, no noise, no dust, no smells, no shouting etc. It was a long way away from what the men of the Disaster era would have known.
Liz
CARTER     Newcastle
CRAIG, RENNIE, WATSON, JAQUES & JAKES, WARDLAW, TWIZZELL, BRASS, NICHOLSON, SUMMERVILLE, ARCHER, LEARMOUTH, ANDERSON, BOAG, SLAYTER, NELSON, HARDY, RICHARDSON, CHICKEN, LOWDON, BROWN, LAWTON, ANGUS, DIXON    Northumberland
CALVIN, DEMPSEY, LYNN.     Antrim
NELLESS, YOUNGHUSBAND GREEN SCOTT DIXON Durham
PENRITH     Penrith
BANTICK HUBBARD CARTER      Suffolk
LYNN UNICK CROW ASHERCRAFT JOHNSON CRAWFORD LOWDEN   USA

Offline PennyA1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 13 May 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, this information has been very helpful.  Thomas Legg and Elizabeth Wanless are my great great grandparents.  Elizabeth was married to Winship Jaques with 3 children when the mine disaster happened. This is the info I have: Isabella JAQUES was born on 25 Nov 1858. Ann JAQUES was born on 13 Jul 1859.  Elizabeth JAQUES was born on 25 Nov 1860.  Elizabeth then married Thomas in 1865 and they had 6 children, one being another Isabella in 1871.  So I am not sure what happened to the first 3 children?  The second Isabella is my great grandmother, she married Joseph Hodgson, and their son Robert is my grandfather who moved to BC Canada during the Great Depression.  (His mother Isabella didn't want her son to work in the coal mines). Robert loved the outdoors and his job during the depression was to make trails on Forbidden Plateau near Comox on Vancouver Island.  That is where he met his wife Agnes Revie, and had their daughter Evelyn (my mom).  If anyone has corrections or additional info I would be appreciative.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/illustratedchronicleww1/21113145830/in/photolist-rf8vnr-brbbbk-bfxqbe-yagofg-bfyhdz-rv28hm-dy8lt8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/illustratedchronicleww1/48913067078/in/photolist-qktcrj-r1bnwo-yaam7q-yagofg-q6ssws-ql3dgk-rf1kut-2hwhfjj-2hwjb96

There are two 'Jacques' from the area who were killed during the Great War and their images appeared in the Illustrated Chronicle.  I think there might possibly be some connection to the 'Jacques'  first mentioned.  Thought I would just mention this just in case this might be of relevance to someone researching this family now or in the future.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:18 BST (UK) »
For those of you with a particular interest in the Hartley Pit Disaster there is an article available online from the journal "Local Population Studies, No. 66 Spring 2001.

Scroll down to page 14 "Personal Tragedy or Demographic Disaster?"

The bibliography is good too and there are many other free articles available online from this journal. Well worth having a browse for other articles you may be interested in.

http://www.localpopulationstudies.org.uk/PDF/LPS66/LPS66.pdf

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 27 July 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
I have a large and ever-growing number of direct ancestors and cousins that were killed or affected by the Hartley Pit Disaster and have tracked down various interesting contemporary articles etc. The following relates to one of the last men to leave the pit alive because my great x 3 grandfather fancied a chat with an old friend on his first day (back?) down this pit after a spell in Heaton. And lost his life as a consequence.

Incredible to find details of my ancestors death published more than 50 years after the tragedy. Just goes to show you never know what might turn up!

"Doudal" sounds like quite a character.  ;D  Maybe someone here will claim him as theirs?

"DEATH OF A BLYTH CELEBRITY

The funeral of the late George Watson, a local celebrity, who was in his 90th year took place at Blyth Cemetery on Sunday. Deceased was widely known as "Doudal" Watson, and was associated with the Hartley calamity of 1862. He with others had finished his shift, and was waiting at the shaft bottom to be drawn to the surface. The cage carried ten men, and nine had entered the cage. The tenth man, named Clough, whose turn it was, was engaged talking to another man, there being at that time no apprehension of the impending calamity, which took place a few minutes later. The onsetter called for someone to enter the cage, and Watson got it, and he with all the rest got safely to the surface. Then the beam of the pumping engine broke, and falling down the shaft broke it up, and all below - 216 men and boys - including the man Clough, perished of suffocation.

Watson was a man of powerful build, and in his younger days was noted for his prowess in the noble art of self-defence, but was a very genial kindly soul. He had an odd fancy in dress, which he maintained throughout his long life. He wore a "cheesecutter" cap and velvet jacket and cap, the vest being studded with numerous pearl buttons. He was a conspicuous figure at shooting matches, at which he took great delight, and a favourite hobby of his was cage birds. He was very expert as a fowler. He was blind for a number of years. A few years ago his sight was restored by an operation, but he lapsed back to blindness, and was often to be seen in Blyth, where he died, led about by a boy."

Source: Morpeth Herald 12 April 1918
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 30 July 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
the relief fund pension books, handwritten  ,actually contain small notes , noting disabilities children address's , remarriage etc so if your ever visiting Woodhorn, you can access them ,I have read through some of them many years ago, they are in great condition,or they were
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,