Author Topic: Jones Family of Bethesda  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jones Family of Bethesda
« on: Sunday 05 August 12 05:21 BST (UK) »
I'm researching a Jones family from Bethesda. They were John O. Jones (b. Carnarvon 1844), his wife Mary Jones (b. Llanllechid 1843), children Edward Lewis Jones (b. 1870 Bethesda), John Owen Jones (my grandfather, b. Sep. 1880 Bethesda), Mary Ellen Jones (b. 1885 Bethesda, m. Pritchard 1912).

Is anyone researching this family? - please contact me if you have any information.

Where are deaths in Bethesda registered? My great grandfather John O. Jones was in the 1891 Census (Cilfodan Street), but not in the 1901 Census. I can't trace him as I don't know where his death was registered.

The family, or various members, lived in either Cilfodan Street or Carneddi Road between 1881 to 1911 according to the U.K. Census returns.

Thank you for any assistance.

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Family of Bethesda
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 August 12 08:44 BST (UK) »
Some additional information if it's of interest to anyone:

Mary Jones, born 1843, may have been, according to family legend, Mary Ellen Lewis prior to marriage to John O. Jones. According to this legend, she was born in Anglesey, but that contradicts her stated birth place (Llanllechid, Carnarvonshire) on the 1881, 1891 & 1901 census returns.

Eldest son Edward Lewis Jones (b. 1870 - Bethesda) married Elizabeth (family name unknown) in 1900 and they had three children, Mary Elizabeth Jones (b. 1901), Emlyn Jones (b. 1905), and Florence Jones (b. 1908). They lived at 21 Carneddi Road Bethesda according to the 1911 Census.

John Owen Jones (my grandfather, b. 1880) migrated to Australia around 1913. He was working in Cymmer, Porth before migrating, from Old South Wales to New South Wales.

Mary Ellen Jones (daughter, b. about 1885) is mentioned in the 1901 Census as a 16 year old Domestic Servant employed by the Lloyd family at 22 Ogwen Terrace (also known as High Street), Bethesda. Dr. Jenkin Lloyd was a 48 year old Surgeon from Llanddeiniol. Mary isn't mentioned in the 1911 Census, but she did marry a chap named Pritchard in the Oct-Dec quarter 1912. I understand that they had two children, Jane & Mair Pritchard.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 August 12 08:55 BST (UK) »
Where are deaths in Bethesda registered? My great grandfather John O. Jones was in the 1891 Census (Cilfodan Street), but not in the 1901 Census. I can't trace him as I don't know where his death was registered.

Bethesda, formerly part of the parish of Llanllechid, comes under the Bangor Registration District.

Looking at FreeBMD, these deaths came up (all Bangor district):

December qtr 1899    vol 11b, page 331
Jones, John Owen  age 52

December qtr 1895    vol 11b, page 323
Jones, John Owen   age 2
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 August 12 14:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks KGarrad,

I was searching through the records on "Ancestry" and I mentioned Bethesda as the place of John O. Jones's death, and all I got were deaths registered in Carnarvon. Needless to say, given that every second male in Gwynedd is a Jones, and the majority of them are also John, this is a real "needle in a haystack" search.

I don't think that my great grandfather John Jones was too concerned about his age and date of birth as the following census records attest:

1871 Census, 27 years of age (i.e., d.o.b.=1844)
1881 Census, 36 years of age (i.e., d.o.b.=1845)
1891 Census, 49 years of age (i.e., d.o.b.=1842)

The record which you kindly mentioned, i.e., 52 years of age in 1899, would give John Jones a d.o.b. as 1847 which may be out of the range of probability, though he did die sometime between 1891 and 1901. Perhaps the informant to the death certificate was as confused to John Jones's age as J.J. himself appears to have been.

Anyway, I now know where to look, and I'm grateful for your assistance.

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 12 19:29 BST (UK) »
The death which KGarrad gave you is the most obvious.  If you say he was born around 1844 and died between 1891 and 1901 then you are looking at an age at death of between 47 and 57.  Suggest you write to Bangor registrars saying who you are looking for and giving full details and saying he lived in Bethesda.   The person's address is usually given on the death certificate unless they died in hospital etc.  You might get more clues from the informant's name and address.  If he died in hospital then the nearest one was in Bangor.

Good luck.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 03:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Soundgrounder1,

I have found a Registrars Office in the Bangor Town Hall, is that who I should write to? Please excuse my ignorance, I haven't had any dealings wih BD&M Registrars in the UK.

You post indicates that the Registrar will confirm his address, is that also correct? My experience here in Australia is that you quote the registration number only, and the local Registrar's Office or transcription services do no vetting of the record, they just send you what you ordered on a "take it or leave it" basis. It sounds good that they will do some basic checks to confirm that the record ordered matches expectations. Who would have imagined that, Civil Servants actually providing service.

Thank you.

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

The burial on October 21 1899, of a John Owen Jones age 52, is recorded in the Llanllechid Parish Register.  The address given reads like Shop Tanderwen Rachub. 

Heather
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

When searching BMD records in North Wales I always find it helpful to refer to NorthWales BMD which lists the events recorded at the local registry offices rather than the GRO Index. 

The references are entirely different from those required for the GRO but the added information regarding the Sub-Districts helps to close on in a geographical sense. 

For example in 1870 sub district Llanllechid,  there is a birth recorded for a Edward Lewis Jones certificate reference BANB2/19/60 

In 1880, subdistrict Llanllechid, there is a birth recorded for a John Owen Jones, reference BANB2/26/E191

Also  in 1844 a birth for a John Owens Jones at Llanllechid BANB2/04/07.

In 1869 there is a Bangor Civil Marriage for a John Jones and a Mary Lewis, certificate BAN/12/E26   

Coincidentally, there is a Mary Lewis age 8 born Llanllechid on the 1851 census (Class HO107/Piece 2518/Folio543/Page19) whose father Edward Lewis age 50, gives his birthplace as Holyhead Anglesey. 

Please check all references given before sending off for certificates because my eyesight and typing can be unreliable!  The forms required for any and all of the above are available from the NorthWales BMD website.

HTH
Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 12 14:03 BST (UK) »
Heather,

You are an angel, thank you.

Your information on the wedding of John Jones and Mary Lewis raises a question, why a civil marriage? My grandfather, John Owen Jones was a committed Wesleyan Methodist, I assume that his father, John Jones who married Mary Lewis, was the same. Perhaps she was from another denomination so they couldn't have a church wedding? 

Family lore has it that Mary's father objected to his daughter marrying John Jones as he considered that she deserved better. According to this story, Mary Lewis was from a wealthy family who made their fortune as boat-builders in Anglesey. If this was the case, why on earth did they move to Bethesda?

The more you learn in this family history business, the more questions arise.

Thanks again Heather, your assistance is greatly appreciated.