Author Topic: Jones Family of Bethesda  (Read 9811 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jones Family of Bethesda
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 August 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
The marriage was probably recorded as "Register Office or Registrar Attended".
That's because it almost certainly wasn't a Church of England ceremony!

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 August 12 19:12 BST (UK) »
I have written to local register offices on several occasions and some will "sift" the information.   They won't tell you the address, but if you say he lived in Bethesda, then they might be prepared to only send the certificate if it is the correct one and refund a portion of the fee to you if it is the wrong one.  It's just down to luck and the kindness of the staff!!
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 August 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
For some reason Ancestry listed Bangor in Anglesey rather a lot, so Caernarvonshire searches miss useful results, such as

marriage of Edward Lewis Jones and Elizabeth Williams
Oct-Nov-Dec 1899
Bangor Vol 11b p   837

(my experiences with my Bethesda Joneses is a lack of consistency between Llanllechid and Bethesda for pob)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 August 12 19:43 BST (UK) »
quote author=Roleystone link=topic=609477.msg4589988#msg4589988 date=1344258238]
Family lore has it that Mary's father objected to his daughter marrying John Jones as he considered that she deserved better. According to this story, Mary Lewis was from a wealthy family who made their fortune as boat-builders in Anglesey. If this was the case, why on earth did they move to Bethesda?

The Penrhyn Quarry grew exponentially in the early to mid 1800s.  It was not uncommon for men to come from Anglesey every week and sleep in "barracks".  The luckier ones then moved permanently to Llanllechid and Llandygai.  If you do some googling re slate quarries of North Wales there is a lot of social history to be found.

If you go to the 1871 Census you have found for John Jones & Mary (Lewis) Jones & son Edward,  then go to the following page, you will find an entry three houses away at 41 Carneddi Road for an Edward Lewis age 70 and Margaret his wife, with son William age 38.   There is a death on FreeBMD in June Q 1875 registered at Bangor for an Edward Lewis age 76.

I found a possible baptism on FindMyPast for Edward Lewis at Holyhead in 1798, son of a William Lewis labourer and his wife Ellen.   The other possibility is one baptized 1801 at Rhoscolyn Anglesey, s/o of a Mason. 

Also a marriage bond/licence on NLW archives issued in 1831 for a marriage at Llandygai (Margaret Lewis' stated place of birth) between an Edward Lewis and a Margaret Roberts of Llandygai.
LEWIS, Edward, bach., Llanllechid, CAE.  1831, Aug 3.  At Llandygai.  Margaret Roberts.  A.  60/141 (The numbers are the NLW document reference number)

HTH
Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 05:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you KGarrard (p.1) for clarification on civil mariages (it's a pity that some of them end up being less than "civil").

Am I correct in understanding that all marriages not conducted within the Church of England in the 1860s, for example weddings conducted within the Methodist, Baptist, and other independent congregations were registered as "civil weddings?"

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, I too had the same problem when searching. It appears that Llanllechid was the predominate name for the area early in the 1800s, and Bethesda was mentioned as a "sanitary district" of Llanlechid.

Later in the 1800s, Bethesda appears to become more predominate. Perhaps the population there grew faster and it developed in its own right compared to the remainder of Llanllechid.

Thank you for the information on the Edward Jones - Elizabeth Williams wedding. I've been informed that their son Emlyn Jones led or managed a Welsh male choir tour of the USA in the 1930s. My mother, his cousin, was hoping that he would bring his choir on a tour of Australia, but unfortunately Mr. Hitler had other plans at the time. He died sometime after WWII of TB unfortunately.

Offline Roleystone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 06:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heather,

The 1801 baptism is most likely the correct one as Edward Lewis was born in 1801. His stated birth place, Holyhead, may have been a reference to the nearest large town, both Holyhead and Rhoscolyn are on the Holy Island at the tip of Anglesey.

I'm basing the 1801 birth date on the information which he provided in the 1841 and 1851 census responses, but this does conflict with his death in 1875 where it is said he was 76 years of age, giving him a DOB in 1799 (more confusion - my head hurts).

His address in 1851 is Llidiart-Y-Gwenyn, Llanllechid, which doesn't appear to exist nowadays. I looked for it on Google Earth and ended up in the mddle of a harware store's yard at the end of Cilfodan Street, Bethesda. Perhaps that hamlet was removed to make space for the hardware store.

The Jones's may also have lived there at times. In the 1871 and 1891 census responses, J.O. Jones and family were living at 56 Cilfodan Street, Bethesda, but Cilfodan Street nowadays appears to have no more that three or so houses. If the street numbers did run up to the 50's, then that would have placed them in the middle of the same hardware store's storage yard.

Thanks for the Margaret Roberts information. I read that the Ogwen River, which flows through Bethesda, also flows through Llandegai. I wonder if Edward Lewis went courting in a row boat.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 08:50 BST (UK) »
I'm basing the 1801 birth date on the information which he provided in the 1841 and 1851 census responses, but this does conflict with his death in 1875 where it is said he was 76 years of age, giving him a DOB in 1799 (more confusion - my head hurts).

Don't forget that, in the 1841 census, ages were rounded down to a multiple of 5 years!
Or at least, that was supposed to happen for all adults! ;D

So, an age of 40 on that census, could mean any age from 40 to 44.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline snj1950

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 August 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
All what you have quoted in your first 2 posts is a part of my family tree. Florence Jones had 1 daughter. She is my mother. I think it would be good if we could compare information that we both have. My email address is (*).

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php