Author Topic: Alexander McKenzie, Market Gardener 1815 Morayshire, died 1890 Forfarshire  (Read 8356 times)

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not sure which county to post this in.  From my great grandmother's letter describing her family history, her father's grandfather was Alexander McKenzie, Market Gardener was born in Morayshire 1812 and died in Tourine, Forfarshire in 1890.  He married Margaret Hay who was also born in Morayshire in 1815 and died in 1886.  Both are buried in Aberlenins Churchyard, Forfarshire.  They had a family of three sons, Tom, Jack and Bill.  I suspect that they were married prior to 1849.

From her letters, she indicated that there was quite a litigation suit in connection with the estate of Brodie in the north of Scotland, and she was a descendant.  Apparently the McKenzie family lost a lot of money.  I dont know how much truth there is to this, but if there is, I would be interested in finding out any details. 

I am trying to find the parents of Margaret Hay and Alexander McKenzie.  I would appreciate any help or direction that can be provided.

Thank you.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander McKenzie, Market Gardener 1815 Morayshire, died 1890 Forfarshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 06:43 BST (UK) »
If your Alexander died in Scotland in 1890, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest £7 in 30 credits, and use six of them to find and download his death cerrtificate, which will tell you the full names of both his parents.,

Tourine will be Turin, which is a few miles east of Forfar. It's in the parish of Rescobie.

As for the estate of Brodie, it belonged to the Brodie family for about 1000 years, though the last Brodie of Brodie, who died in 2003, sold the castle to the National Trust for Scotland.

Have a look through the online catalogue of the National Archives of Scotland www.nas.gov.uk. It's just possible that a law suit might be listed, depending on which court it was heard in. If it was in a local court in Moray it probably wouldn't be.

You could also try http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp and see what comes up there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 12 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Found a few things but they don't quite match what you have  :-\

Margaret Mckenzie(other surname Hay) death 1887 Aberlemno Angus
Alexander Mckenzie death 1891 Aberlemno Angus

1881 Mansion House of Turin(Gardener's House) , Aberlemno , Angus
Alexr. Mckenzie 61 gardener born North Berwick Haddington
Margaret Mckenzie 63 born Hopeman Elgin

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 12 16:31 BST (UK) »
Going by trees online(no idea if they are correct)-

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTY4-2MK

Margaret's parents are listed as William Hay and Agnes Mason

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 12 17:32 BST (UK) »
Aberlemno will do fine - the parish boundary must go through Turin estate!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
http://www.ancestor.abel.co.uk/Angus/Aberlemno.html

I found this site of Aberlemno.  It has many of the parish records and tombstone inscriptions.  It also indicates the owner of Turin as one of the 10 proprietors of land in the parish in 1842:  R. A. Watson Carnegy - Turin. 

I appreciate the help.  Apparently Aberlemno is in Angus and not Moray - apparently my great grandmother's information was incorrect about location of birth.  Hard documents are preferable to eyewitness accounts.  I should know better being in the forensic analysis field.

Thank you

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Found a few things but they don't quite match what you have  :-\

Margaret Mckenzie(other surname Hay) death 1887 Aberlemno Angus
Alexander Mckenzie death 1891 Aberlemno Angus

1881 Mansion House of Turin(Gardener's House) , Aberlemno , Angus
Alexr. Mckenzie 61 gardener born North Berwick Haddington
Margaret Mckenzie 63 born Hopeman Elgin

ev

That is it - I know he was a gardener at Turin from my great grandmother's letters, and know they were buried in Aberlemno. Thank you so very much. 

Scott

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 07:36 BST (UK) »
Marriage and children ?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTK6-ZJH

https://familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&query=%2Bfather_givenname%3Aalexander~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Amckenzie~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Amargaret~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Ahay~

1851 Bonningtonbank St. Cuthberts Midlothian
Alex Mckenzie 32 gardener born East Lothian North Berwick
Margt Mckenzie 33 wife b. Sutherland Bramocray
Thomas Mckenzie 2 son b. Sutherland Kilfinnian
George A H Mckenzie 1 son b. Sutherland
John Sinclair 10 nephew b. Sutherland
(Transcription freeCEN website)

ev

Added - SP also has a will Alexander Mckenzie 3rd August 1891 gardener Turin Parish of Rescobie
              d. 6th July 1891 at Turin

Offline kb0fhp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
WOW!  - I think I need to learn a lot about searching in Familysearch - I have tried looking there and did not find the information.  I always looked by specific name  - but I see how you search.  That is really handy.

I have looked on familysearch for that marriage record and could not find it - I appreciate the help.  I also saw how you searched - that will be a huge help.  I learn something new everyday!.  Hopefully I can pull up the parish record and get the parents of Margaret and Alexander.  I suspect it is William Hay and Agnes Masson (Mason) and Thomas McKenzie and Catherine Edington.

I will look on SP for the certificates.