Author Topic: Little of Hoddom/Ecclefechan  (Read 6616 times)

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Little of Hoddom/Ecclefechan
« on: Monday 06 August 12 10:15 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to piece together the Little family of Hoddom.  The OPR's are quite vague with information and seem to think mother's weren't important enough to mention on birth records.   As far as I know, the Littles I'm looking for were all farmers/farm workers and I would be interested in hearing from anyone who believes their roots go back to Little of Bogside, Shawbea, Park, Newpark, Soupplebank etc
Ayrshire:- Wilson, Donald, Pearson, Milligan, Wallace
Surrey:- Langford, Mullard, O'Neill
Special interest:- Loudoun parish

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Little of Hoddom/Ecclefechan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes

Not sure of the areas you mention but I have a Jane Little of Stoneykirk, Wigton born 1810. I have no other info on her or her parents, only from when she gets married.

David
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Hoddom area was awash with Littles but not so many further west.  I have one or two downloaded docs for some Jane Little but it doesn't seem to be as popular a name as Janet.

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 November 12 14:55 GMT (UK) »
hi agnes,

just a little snippet dont know if you have them or bnot if you go to scotlands places click on dumfries then hoddom you will get horse tax returns for 1797 it lists three littles paying hor se tax george little at bogside frank little at park and peter little at douglashall

cheers

harrywrag

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I already have a copy of the horse taxes, what I don't seem to be able to get is the OPR marriages for Hoddom.   There's plenty for the other parishes but Hoddom/Ecclefechan are not amongst them.  I found it quite curious that some marriages don't even mention the name of the bride and one eminent gentleman didn't seem to remember the date of birth of any of his children!

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes

I was looking at birth certs I have for J Littles, none are for the Jane Little I am looking for. Are any of them of use to you?

19 April 1807   Hutton and Corrie    
Jane, daughter to Mathew Little of Dryfehead and Elizabeth Brown

13th Feb 1809  Graitney or Gretna  
 Janet, daughter to Peter Little and Elizabeth Scott

14th March 1820 Dumfries    
Janet Stewart Little, daughter to Robert Little and Jean Kilpatrick

4th July 1839  Wigtown    
Grace Little, daughter to Hugh Little and Margaret Lamont

David
WILSON - Glasgow + New Monklands + Renfrew. INNES - Govan + Grangemouth + Aberdeen. McBRIAR - Holytown + Belfast. ANTHONY - Linlithgow + Edinburgh. NEILSON - Govan + Bulaweyo. HOWAT - Banff. WALLACE - Argyll. FERGUSON - Glasgow. SINCLAIR - Dunoon. STEVENSON - Edinburgh. SCHUBACK - Germany. LYON - Argyll + Aberdeen. RAE - Aberdeen. MORRISON - Banff? GRANT - Banff. MUNROE - Banff. CRAWFORD - Argyll.

Offline Agnes14

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 12 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks but I don't think they will help.  The more I look, the more the Little's are coming out in droves but none of them the ones I'm looking for (I think). 
Some of the earlier Littles seem to come from Edinburgh area and going back to the 1400's there was a George Lytil witness to a charter at Prestonpans.  There's also a Little appearing from the North of England (Brampton).   As most of marriages took place at either the bride's home or place of work, I did a search of Dumfries female Littles with the OPR marriages and the bulk of them came from Westerkirk parish.   So far as I've seen, the highest concentration of Little, appears to be in the Dumfriesshire area.

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 12 21:02 GMT (UK) »
I have Jane Little who is the mother of Whilimenia Little born 1821 Canobie, but I know nothing about her I'm afraid

Whilimena who died 12 Jan 1853 in Mumbie had several children with James Kennedy

If this is any help let me know

Tkgafs

Offline Bodach

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 12 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Unfortunately doesn't fit into my line. I have my Jane Little all the way from 1810 down to me but can't get any further back with her.  Have to keep looking.

David