Author Topic: postcard  (Read 1637 times)

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
postcard
« on: Monday 06 August 12 11:54 BST (UK) »
on the back of my granfathers photo/postcard from ww1 the adress is w.c. honey patrick st cork, does this meen even as my grandfather was in the royal dublin fusiliers he would of been stationed in cork at some stage?

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: postcard
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:24 BST (UK) »
Do you have any further information?

Name, date of birth, etc....

I can only find a record for a C W Honey at the moment.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 August 12 12:58 BST (UK) »
sorry.my grandfather is william duffy royal dublin fusiliers no.9352 , d.o.b.29march 1890 dublin,,,,,,, never found which battalion he served with ,,,,,,, been looking into it for years now and still no clue , ive a photo of him and on back it says  COPYS MAY BE HELD AT W.G.HONEY, PATRICKI ST.CORK, I WAS JUST WONDERING  was he stationed in cork at some time

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 August 12 13:25 BST (UK) »
Sounds like W G Honey was the photographer, if so, he must have been in Cork at some point.

The 1st and 2nd Battalions would have been stationed at either Templemore, Naas, Queenstown or the Curragh at some point for training, re-equipping, etc....

Queenstown (now Cobh) is the closest to Cork, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Reserves were all based there at some point between 1914 and 1918 but none appear to have served overseas, which only leaves us with the 1st or 2nd, is there a date on the photo?

Looking at his MRC he was awarded the Silver War Badge meaning he was invalided out on 8th August 1916 due to sickness. It also states that he'd served overseas (he enlisted 8th Aug 1914!), doesn't give the battalion though.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline LJReb123

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 August 12 13:41 BST (UK) »

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
no date on photo,,,,,, shame, yes he got the s.w.b just says unfit/sickness , dosent say were he served aldo his medal card says france feb 2nd 1915 then his discharge papers say med? october 1915

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 12 14:25 BST (UK) »
Med could possibly mean the Mediterranean? The 1st and 6th were both in the Med at that time.

Offline will1890

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
yes done abit of researching on that i think he was in salonika end of 1915 till summer 1916, then discharged , i have his pension details and discharge papers, ,,,

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 August 12 14:39 BST (UK) »
I see you've already found the RDF site.

http://baseportal.com/cgi-bin/baseportal.pl?htx=/research/WW1&localparams=1&range=1800,50

This link gives you all those with the surname Duffy from Dublin that were killed during WW1 if that's of any interest?