Author Topic: George Lawrence b.Beaminster 1810  (Read 1854 times)

Offline B.E.

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Lawrence b.Beaminster 1810
« on: Monday 06 August 12 16:55 BST (UK) »
We're struggling to find any trace of the above gentleman after his appearance in the 1851 census. He was a blacksmith in Fleet Street, Beaminster at that point. In 1861, his wife, Mary Lawrence, appears to have moved to Yeovil (a servant in the Granger household) and describes herself as married. She reappears as a 'windower' (presumably widow!) in the 1881 census, living with her son's family in Dorchester. There's no obvious trace of George. He appears not be the George Lawrence who d.Beaminster in 1852 (that was a 6-month-old baby), nor yet the one who was up before the beak at Dorchester in 1855 and imprisoned for assault with intent to ravish (that was a scallywag from Fontmell Magna). We've also checked emigration records in vain.

Can anybody come up with any lateral thinking here? Any theories for his having escaped the attentions of both the census enumerator and the death registrar?

[And, as a side issue, any trace in 1871 of Mary Lawrence b.North Cheriton(?), Somerset c.1800?]

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: George Lawrence b.Beaminster 1810
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 August 12 20:19 BST (UK) »
There's no obvious trace of George. He appears not be the George Lawrence who d.Beaminster in 1852 (that was a 6-month-old baby),

Hi

If it is the same person, a tree on Ancestry has his death as March 1862 Beaminster. They have his wife as Mary Skinner (died Dorchester 1882) and a son Lawrence.

In which case it would be this death

LAWRENCE, George
Beaminster
1862 Jan-Feb-Mar
Volume no: 5A Page no: 283

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline B.E.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 08:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, my cock up!

The 1862 death is the baby to whom I referred (I mistyped as 1852).

Our George Lawrence's wife was indeed Mary Skinner, but there was no son called Lawrence - that was the surname. I think somebody must have jumped to the same conclusion as me when first looking, but OPC clearly states the age of the child, a detail not available on FreeBMD.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 14:18 BST (UK) »
Just another thought to explore, what if George & Mary moved to Yeovil and he died there? On freebmd between 1851 and 1881 there are 3 George Lawrence deaths registered Yeovil district (1854, 1859, 1863)

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 16:49 BST (UK) »
There is a Mary Lawrence born c 1799 Somerset, Servant, Widow, in St James, Clerkenwell, London, in the 1871 Census.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline B.E.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Shirl,
Do you know, that's so blindingly obvious, I'm seriously embarrassed! For some reason we were all assuming that Mary moved to Yeovil after George's disappearance/demise, but it doesn't of course have to be that way at all.

In theory, if Mary was telling the truth that she was still married in 1861, then it can't be either of the 1854 or 1859 deaths. If Trish's new find [thanks!] is the right lady, then she was widowed in 1871, so an 1863 death remains a possibility. On the other hand, if they weren't actually living together in 1861 he could have been absolutely anywhere!

I suspect the family are going to have to plump for a death certificate if they want to prove that 1863 is the right one.
Cheers,
Brian

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 August 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
Shirl,
Do you know, that's so blindingly obvious, I'm seriously embarrassed! For some reason we were all assuming that Mary moved to Yeovil after George's disappearance/demise, but it doesn't of course have to be that way at all.

In theory, if Mary was telling the truth that she was still married in 1861, then it can't be either of the 1854 or 1859 deaths. If Trish's new find [thanks!] is the right lady, then she was widowed in 1871, so an 1863 death remains a possibility. On the other hand, if they weren't actually living together in 1861 he could have been absolutely anywhere!

I suspect the family are going to have to plump for a death certificate if they want to prove that 1863 is the right one.
Cheers,
Brian

Good luck
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 12 09:56 BST (UK) »
Good luck with the Cert :)

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)