Author Topic: Grandfather At Portsmouth 1943  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Grandfather At Portsmouth 1943
« on: Monday 06 August 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
Could someone on this part of the forum please pass some comments on the uniform and the cap. My grandfather was based in Portsmouth in 1943. I have no knowledge at all of his military career, so it would be very interesting to hear what you wise folk have to say. The only reason I know it was Portsmouth and the date, is because that is what is written on the back of the photo.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,609738.0.html

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Grandfather At Portsmouth 1943
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 08:54 BST (UK) »
It looks like he has the cap badge of a Fusilier Regiment, It is difficult to determine which one as the detail is missing, His formation sign on his left arm resembles  the "Y" of the 5th Infantry Division but again this is only conjecture as the detail is missing.

Is there not someone in the family who may have his medals or any other documents, Did he survive the war? If he didn't  have you  checked his name with the CWGC site?  Perhaps others in the family may have other photos of him or information that may be the key to his Regiment etc,

There seems to be something on his right arm, perhaps it is chevrons, corporal perhaps.

Regards

James

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Just had a chinwag with my dad. He is not very sure about the regiments grandad served with, though mention (if memory is correct) was made of the Durham Light the Green Howards and possibly the Black Watch. Don't take that as gospel. It would seem that he served with several different regiments through those years.

Grandad never saw battle and never fired a bullet in anger. Dad also says that his father got three medals though no idea what they were for. Grandad never went abroad during the war.

My dad does know that his father spent time at Pontsbury ammo store and time at Dishforth, and both those postings were for guard duties. Of course this photo we are discussing puts grandad at Portsmouth in 1943, again probably as a guard. Grandfather was also seemingly a Bat-man? personal assistant or valet to an officer, keeping uniform and boots clean and tidy. The only way to fully understand what grandad got up to would be to send for his papers. I have no idea what his service number was. Oh, he was also stationed at Gosforth, outside Newcastle. That is where and when he met my grandmother, in 1941 I think. They married in Northumberland in  August 1942.

Grandad was also a petite man and only 5' 3" in his stocking feet. I sometimes wonder if that precluded him from the more 'exciting' stuff of service.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:17 BST (UK) »
what was grandads name  D.O.B and place, perhaps i could look up the military records if i had that info

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
His full name was;

Thomas James Hodgetts born 7 August 1918 in Birmingham, All Saints. Oh, today is the day!

Thank you Doran.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 11:22 BST (UK) »
I've just gone through all my photos of him and none give any more detail to his uniform than the picture I have posted here on the forum.

Philip

Offline DORAN54

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 12:40 BST (UK) »
hi, :( i'm sorry couldn't get  any where with  the military records realy difficult without his service number.

but this is probably why he was at portsmouth,
aug 1943 southsea seafront was declared a restricted zone ,portsmouth was the main departure point for the military and naval units destined for sword beach on the normandy coast. troops were camped to the north and east of portsmouth

if youemail the portsmouth museum and records including the photo in the email maybe they can shed some light on the uniform etc.

info@portsmouth museums.co.uk

good luck regards ann ;)

Offline lowanslow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there, since you mentioned that he had served at the ammo stores down at Pontesbury, he would have more than likely been with the  royal ordnance fusiliers (R.A.O.C.) Had a quick look on the net and the badge fits.
  Lowanslow

Purvis/purves. conlon, carson. Birney, monaghan, moore. World war I/II. Raf.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 12 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Phillip !

Have you thought about trying to apply for his service record?

How to obtain a service record for a deceased person

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire