Author Topic: Medway registration office  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Wayne

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Medway registration office
« on: Thursday 01 July 04 03:33 BST (UK) »
Would anyone know which registration office covers Medway? I found a marriage reference that I'd like to order listed under Medway, which includes Chatham and Rochester, but the Kent BMD site doesn't mention any office covering these cities.
Campbell, Alland, Byrne, Leckie, Beardmore, Waterhouse, Hett

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Medway registration office
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 July 04 11:18 BST (UK) »

There is a contact email on the Kent bmd site. mailto:register.office@kent.gov.uk . That should be the easiest way to be sure.

If however, you have taken the ref from the national index, then it will not relate directly to the holdings in Kent. You may be better off ordering it from Southport.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Patches

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Medway registration office
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 July 04 13:21 BST (UK) »
The Registers Office for Birth, Deaths & Marriages is at:
113 Maidston Road Chatham Kent
Phone: 01634 844073

Also

Medway Archives and Local Studies Centre is at
Civic Centre Strood Rochester Kent ME2 4AU
Phone: 01634 332714
e-mail: archives@medway.gov.uk
web site: http://www.medway.gov.uk
they have Parish Records for Strood, Rochester, Chatham, Gillingham, Gravesend and a few other places.

Also

At: http://cityark.medway.gov.uk
You can actually search some parish records on line. it takes a while to download images, just click on Imagebank and go from there.

Good luck

Kent - Jones, Wigley, Rigden, Philpott, Perry, Irwin, Booker, Durling, Saker, Venner, Nutting, Giles, McNalty, Burley, Crowhurst, Ford & Roots,
Sussex - Badcock,  Barden, Barham, Bridger, Carey, Courthope, Crampton, Ford, Wright, Dadswell, Okill, Elliott, Hepden, Jarrett, Foster, Marchant, Selmes and Warnett
Fife/Mayo - McNalty
Bucks - Folley & Spufford

Offline BrendaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Medway registration office
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 04 00:25 BST (UK) »
The Register Office at 114 Maidstone Road, Chatham (tel+44 1634 844073)
covers all of the present Medway Council area - which is no longer administered by Kent County Council.  The registration districts include:
Hoo, Strood, Rochester, Chatham and Gillingham, although over the years there have been some changes as to the exact boundaries of the districts.

We (volunteers from Kent FHS) are currently working on indexing onto computer all the birth records.  Hoo was done some time ago, we recently finished Strood to 1941(when the boundaries changed) and have started on Rochester & Chatham.

as far as I know there are no plans to put the indexes on-line as is happening with the Kent register offices, but MALSC (Strood Archives) have recently been given a substantial grant from the heritage lottery fund to digitize all the parish registers they hold (Rochester diocese, so more than just Medway).  These digital images will be put into the CityArk database and be available on-line.  Hopefully it will all get done in the next 18 months.

BrendaP
 :)
Bowles - Kent (weald)
Roots/Rootes - Kent
Munn - Kent
Lovel/Lovell - Kent & Middlesex
Holdaway - Kent
Cuphis - Kent
Christopher/Cristofer - Kent
Couchman - Kent
Fairall/Fairhall - Kent
Read/Reed - Kent