Author Topic: 1891 lookup request - Gurman  (Read 16057 times)

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 lookup request - Gurman
« Reply #54 on: Saturday 11 August 12 07:54 BST (UK) »
I've found ref (here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ant_class_gunboat) for an ant-class gunboat called Comet built in Portsmouth 1870, it was sold in 1908 and broken up. I wonder if this is Noah's Comet?

There's a picture of it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HMS_comet.jpg

Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:33 BST (UK) »
George Gurman's birth certificate has just arrived.

where & when born: ninth June 1881 Long Common, South Stoneham
name: George Richard
sex: boy
name & surname of father: George Gurman
name, surname & maiden surname of mother: Selina Gurman formerly King
occupation of father: sawyer
informant: S. Gurman, mother, Long Common South Stoneham

Hicks of London, Whall of Stepney/Norwich, Jones of Stoke Newington/Aston on Clun, Wigzell of London, Hare of London, Cook of St Osyth, Finch of Essex, Judd(e) of Winterslow, Langford of Kimbolton/Knighton, Ward of Leominster, Evans of Kimbolton, Bartlett of Dorset, Sherstone/Shearstone of Marston Magna, Hare of London, Britain of Shoreditch/Birmingham, Webb of St Pancras, Genns (James), Braddy of London. Gurman, esp Noah!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
So, it looks as if she may have told a little lie and that George Gurman was really George French as that fits with his occupation and we know that Noah was a sailor.

I cant see how you will ever get to the truth here. If you can afford it it might be worth sending for either Mary Elizabeth Gurman                                                                             
or Francis Celina Gurman's certificate as we know they should be Noah's daughters.

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 11:53 BST (UK) »
It seems very likely that George Gurman is George French given she's put his occupation as sawyer like you say. What I'd like to find is what happened to Noah and when, if there is some kind of record showing he was lost at sea then that would pretty much confirm our theory. I'm having a quick search through the National Archives records but haven't found anything so far...
Does anyone have any idea where a lost a sea record might be found for the 1871 - 1875ish time period we're probably looking at?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Find My Past have deaths at sea, but there are no Gurmans there.

I dont know if this link is any good  http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.phptitle=Births,_Marriages_and_Deaths_at_Sea

I suppose it really depends what sort of boat he was on whether his death was registered or not. If the entire crew were lost perhaps they were just listed as missing if bodies were never found.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
Looking again at the 1871 with Noah on board a boat, it is a very small boat, perhaps a fishing boat?

Piece: 914 Folio: 73 Page: 0   Medway Chatham

Robert Matthew 23  Master   born Sussex
Noah Gurman     23  Mate      born Botley Hampshire
George Southam 16  Boy       born Jersey

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 13:42 BST (UK) »
If the GURMAN children were baptised at Botley then you might find them on here

http://mti.botley.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=491&Itemid=332

It says there are problems with the data and I can't get anything to work.  You might have more luck.  :-\
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that link bearkat, unfortunately I can't get it to work either.

I've found this website:

http://www.familyrelatives.com/

it's free to register (which I've done) and view records and has a list of GRO Marine Deaths Indices. I put in the years 1871 - 1875 and filter by the letter G for surname, and event death. It returned four pages to view but when I click on them to view there seems to be some sort of problem and I can't see the lists, I even tried a different browser to no avail. It says I need a plugin, but doesn't tell what plugin I need? I wonder if anyone here can see the lists and if Noah Gurman is on there? Or if anyone knows what plugin I need to view them myself? I'm getting a little frustrated!

-edit- oh hang on I see I need to download djvu viewer, let me try that and see what happens...

Offline lilirose03

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 16:30 BST (UK) »
well, I've installed the viewer and it's still not working...