Author Topic: BMDs for several wind & watermillers  (Read 7554 times)

Offline delen

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BMDs for several wind & watermillers
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 25 February 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Re Windy Millers reply dated 25th March 2018.

I have now found, listed in the Doomsday book, that Risby had half a mill.
Can you throw any light on this?

Also do you have a record of any of the Millers names? (Risby)

Many thanks

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 July 23 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi delen,

Very late coming back to you, sorry.

No millers at Risby, and the Doomsday ref you talk about I think refers to either a water mill or and animal-driven mill (horse/oxen, etc).  The fact that it only had a half suggests that it shared the mill (stones) with a nearby village.  I believe that when a "mill" is mentioned in the Doomsday Book it refers to a pair of stones (being one mill), rather than a building as we understand a mill these days.  Even powerful water mills in pre-1066 england would have only had 2 pairs of stones at best, and animal-driven mill mosdt likely only 1 pair.

Plots the villages with mills (stones) shows nearly all are by rivers, and those outside of a river catchment would be animal-driven.  Certainly no windmills, as these did not arrive un UK till after the start of the Crusades, when soliders brought back the muslim technology.

I hope this helps,
Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi delen,

Very late coming back to you, sorry.

No millers at Risby, and the Doomsday ref you talk about I think refers to either a water mill or and animal-driven mill (horse/oxen, etc).  The fact that it only had a half suggests that it shared the mill (stones) with a nearby village.  I believe that when a "mill" is mentioned in the Doomsday Book it refers to a pair of stones (being one mill), rather than a building as we understand a mill these days.  Even powerful water mills in pre-1066 england would have only had 2 pairs of stones at best, and animal-driven mill mosdt likely only 1 pair.

Plots the villages with mills (stones) shows nearly all are by rivers, and those outside of a river catchment would be animal-driven.  Certainly no windmills, as these did not arrive un UK till after the start of the Crusades, when soliders brought back the muslim technology.

I hope this helps,
Windy

Hi Windy Miller, I may have asked this before in regards to my Titshall family but have you got any info in my database on Richard Titshall miller? He was born 1728 in Barnham and died in 1807 in Framlingham. Or any Titshall's (and variants) listed in your database?
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Coombs,

May be you did.  I'm getting too old to remember ...

Anyway,
there was a Richard Titshall at Saunder's Mill in Dennington c. 1753 (from private deeds)
there was another at Hacheston Mill c.1790-1858 (fathers & sons?)
there was another at Redlingfield Mill (IJ) 1798/05/12

Do you know he was a miller? Where & when was he milling (I'd like to add him to my list if he is not covered by the above)?

Windy
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 July 23 21:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Coombs,

May be you did.  I'm getting too old to remember ...

Anyway,
there was a Richard Titshall at Saunder's Mill in Dennington c. 1753 (from private deeds)
there was another at Hacheston Mill c.1790-1858 (fathers & sons?)
there was another at Redlingfield Mill (IJ) 1798/05/12

Do you know he was a miller? Where & when was he milling (I'd like to add him to my list if he is not covered by the above)?

Windy

Hi, I knew from other records he was a miller as he was subject to a settlement in 1769 where it said he was a miller. He was apprenticed to Ambrose Wicks in 1741 in Barningham as a miller, and married in 1748 to Judith Scarfe. They lived in Great Ellingham in Norfolk for a time so must have been in Dennington by 1753. Thanks for the 1753 reference, so it was from private deeds? Either Richard owned it or leased it.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 06 July 23 01:16 BST (UK) »
I'm going to check the photo of the Deeds tomorrow.  I took them back in 2009 when the mill site own allowed me to.  Unfortunately the cameras back them were not as good as today, and I want the check my facts are right.

He (R. Titshall) is mentioned in the deeds but I need to check that he was there and when (the deed is for 1817 but mentioned previous indentures and parties).

Windy

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 06 July 23 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Coombs,

I think back in 2009 I did a very brief check on the deed photos and seem to have got muddled.  I'm currently transcribing it and it appears that Richard T was at Bedingfield and the year was 1790 (this is from the 1817 deed).  I also have photos of 9 other Dennington Deeds relating to the mill and 4 abstracts (so more details, and the 1753 reference may still re-emerge!

Sorry if I've made thing confusing.

I have attached the line mentioning RT that I have found so far.  Do you agree that he is at Bedingfield (its hard to read)?

Windy

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 06 July 23 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy Miller.

It does seem to read Bedingfield for the 1790 ref, or it could be Shadingfield but looks more like Bedingfield. Thanks for the image, I look forward to the 1753 one.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix