Author Topic: House in Bothwell  (Read 5954 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
House in Bothwell
« on: Thursday 09 August 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Anyone from Bothwell or nearby that can help out?

My 5x great-grandfather moved from Glasgow to Bothwell between 1841 and 1851, probably to retire I would think. He first stayed in Sweethope House which I've been able to locate fine but he then moves from there to Rosebank (or Rose Bank). The censuses over the years suggest it is/was what is now the Uddingston Road area but it's not listed on any old maps or current directories that I can see.

The only thing I do have is a photograph that in amongst this family's other pictures. I have then tried to find a similar building on Street View. Luckily I did come across one similar but I can't find any confirmation.

Building on Street View: http://goo.gl/maps/qYNsl

Attached is the photograph below.

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on the SV building .. whether it's changed name, owner, perhaps even some history? Anything would be great.

Thanks
hume :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: House in Bothwell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 12 19:01 BST (UK) »
Is this the same property, Hume? No.1 from here www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Extras/Extras.htm

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 12 19:03 BST (UK) »
Also here:

David Dale

David Dale (1739–1806) was a Scottish industrialist and philanthropist. His efforts to establish a cotton-spinning factory at Flemington failed but he was very successful as co-founder of the New Lanark Mills in 1786. Dale owned the estate of Rosebank in Cambuslang, which he used as a summer retreat from his townhouse (reputedly still standing) in Charlotte Street Glasgow and to where he retired and lived until his death. The estate was sold after his death to the Caledonian Railway Company, which divided it in two to accommodate the new railway. The half to the north of the railway line, including Rosebank House, eventually became Rosebank Industrial Estate. The southern half was sold to Thomas Gray Buchanan, a Glasgow merchant, related to the Buchanan who established Buchanan Street in Glasgow, who established a country retreat at Wellshott House, but his son Michael sold off the lands to build suburban villas in the 1860s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambuslang
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 August 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Don't believe so .. would be something to be related to David Dale but I'm afraid not. ;D That Rosebank would have been in Cambuslang while mine is definitely in Bothwell. I wonder if it did influence the name choice though?

My ancestor was Thomas Herbertson. I've mentioned him a few times in previous threads.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 August 12 21:41 BST (UK) »
There is a Sweethope House in Bothwell, near the end of Green Street

What addresses are near Rose Bank on the census records?

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 August 12 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi sancti,

Yeah, I did find Sweethope pretty easily. It's well documented throughout the census and appears in a few directories/maps too. I also found it on Google .. although I've not managed to find an older photo of it. If anyone has one lying about ...  ;D

1861 shows them between Kirkfield, Rose Vale, Rose Bank, The Lindens then the Parish Schoolhouse. 1871 runs Longdale Road - Heathbank, Kirkfield - The Lindens, Kirkfield - Rosebank, Kirkfield - Rose Vale, Kirkfield - F.C. Manse.

Don't have any of the others - my ancestor had died in 1865 then his wife in 1880.

Offline jimmymac90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 August 12 04:58 BST (UK) »
Not much help I’m afraid but is it possible the name of the house was changed?

Thomas Herbertson is listed as the occupant of Sweethope in 1843 and in 1852, as you no doubt know, but he is not there in 1857. The problem is Rosebank is not listed in 1857. Could it be that they called they house Rosebank but the post office had it under a different name? The first listing I can find for Rosebank in Bothwell is in 1878 but someone called McCreath is the occupant. There is a Mrs. Herbertson living at Laurel Villa in 1878, could that be his wife? What was her address when she died in 1880?

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 August 12 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I didn't have the 1843/1852 dates. Thomas was in Green Street in 1851 which suggests Sweethope but an 1850 Glasgow Herald mentions him of Rosebank. Various ads after that point show he was trying to let or sell the house at Sweethope so it looks like he held both properties for a time.

Mrs Herbertson was Helen, Thomas' wife. I just assumed Laurel Villa was a different property (possibly smaller if she was on her own) but you could be right. Laurel Villa is given as her address at death.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 August 12 15:17 BST (UK) »
The 1860 map shows the FC manse located on present day Manse Avenue

The Free Church was on Uddingston Road, directly across from Blantyre Road and looks to be modern flats called Kirkfield House