Author Topic: Shea's of Galway  (Read 5143 times)

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shea's of Galway
« on: Friday 10 August 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the Shea's from Galway.
I can trace my family back to Edward Shea born around 1823 although I have no birth record or idea where he was born.
Edward married Bridget Dooley of Oranmore.  They married on 25 Jan 1856 in Maree, Oranmore and lived in Galway city.
Any help would be appreciated.

EMS
DONEGAL: McGeehan, Stevenson, McGinley, Rankin, Gallagher, Doherty, Quinn, McCarron, Molloy, McDevitt, McCay, Boyle, McNelis, McCallagh
GALWAY: Shea, Connolly, Dooley, Griffin, Folan, Ridge, Richardson, Bray, Donoghue, Halloran, McNamara

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Shea's of Galway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 12 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hey,

Edward and Bridget had four children as far as I know.  Their names were Michael 1858 (my great grandfather), Thomas/Timothy 1867, Patrick and Margaret 1864 (twins)

Michael Shea moved to High Street, Galway with his mother Bridget and brother Tim in about 1900 from Quay Street, so not very far.  He married Maria Griffin (John Griffin's daughter - Griffin's Bakery)

Both Michael and Tim were both livestock dealers and had land behind the Spanish Arch. 

I believe that it was Tim Shea's store that is in the famous picture of the market at the Spanish Arch.

Margaret married William Creavan and they owned a Drapery store on William street.  They had no children that I can find. 

I can't find anything on Margaret's twin Patrick. 

I am still trying to find out information on Edward Shea and Bridget Dooley.  I have a feeling that Edward came from Loughrea but am not sure.   Bridget was from Maree, Oranmore and her parents may have been Catherine McHugh and Michael Dooley.

There is some belief that Edward's brother was called Timothy and that he married Elizabeth Cunniffe.  According to the 1901 census, Eliza Shea/Cunniffe owned a public house on High Street.   They had four children called Margaret, Michael, Annie and Honora.
This names are quite common within the family.

If anyone recognises any of this information and can help me find anything on Edward Shea and Bridget Dooley, I would appreciate it. 
DONEGAL: McGeehan, Stevenson, McGinley, Rankin, Gallagher, Doherty, Quinn, McCarron, Molloy, McDevitt, McCay, Boyle, McNelis, McCallagh
GALWAY: Shea, Connolly, Dooley, Griffin, Folan, Ridge, Richardson, Bray, Donoghue, Halloran, McNamara

Offline Gerzoid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 13:17 BST (UK) »
Michael Shea was my Great-grandfather too!

I was a bit confused by a sign on the top floor of Galway City Museum recently which points out Comerford House i.e. the old museum building at the Spanish Arch as occupied by Tim Shea and as a 'Public House'.  I had been told stories by my father of how Tim used to keep pigs on the grassy area above the arches and how he used to push them up the stairs inside!!!

Then I came across a painting by chance in NUIG of a scene of the fish market at the Spanish Arch by the seascape painter T.R. Miles in which he has included the text of the Tim Shea sign over the door, so often seen in old postcards, which says  ...ings and Entertainment, which my wife astutely thinks could be Lodgings and Entertainment.

Obviously this proves the public house to be true.

Anyway, the info on the links to Oranmore are interesting.  Bridget is listed in the census document from 1911 as being from Maree.  There's a note on the census form saying 'taken as Co. Mayo' which is obviously incorrect.

Anyway, would love to talk to both of you.  I'm in Galway, if this thread becomes live again, mail me!

Ger

Offline baya10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 May 16 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi.. thanks for getting back to me. My email is *

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed to prevent others abusing it or spamming it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange such details.  Thanks

Offline Midie Corcoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 February 19 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I am researching Sheas in Fish Lane, Galway City.
Tim Shea & Eliza Cunniffe, Nora Shea & Austin Lydon, Margaret Shea & Redmond Kelly & Michael Shea.
These Sheas are tied in with my  Sheas in Tuam.
Kind regards
Midie Corcoran Tuam

Offline Midie Corcoran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 February 19 13:24 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is interested in exploring I've also got some info that might tie in on the Marree, Oranmore connection with Eliza Cunniffe.
Regards Midie