Author Topic: Archibald Boland, Penarth  (Read 5351 times)

Offline drbobboland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Boland, Penarth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi !
I also recall an Uncle Charlie who ran ferry boats on canals in the UK and died of tuberculosis.
I do not have any picture of George Boland.

Archibald Boland (b 1899, d 1930) married Eliza Maud Cooksey (b 1900, d 2001) in about 1922, in London.
During WWI, Archibald was a Lewis gunner in the Royal Middlesex Regiment (this regiment participated in the battle of    the Somme between 1 July and 18 November 1916 – did he take part in it ?).  He was gazed during the war and developed tuberculosis.  He worked in the Surrey Docks in London for Furness Withy as shipping clerk after WWI.  This company started a pension scheme for widows.  Sadly, he was the first person to enrol and to benefit.

Archibald and Eliza had two sons: Jack Boland (b 1923 in London, d 2005 in Malta) and me, Robert Boland (b 1926 in London).

Can you tell me more about your grand-mother Bessie ?

Offline TCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 October 12 11:56 BST (UK) »
Being a child in the 1960s I can recall “Uncle Charlie” visiting my Grandmother Bessie. I was always told he had to visit her in Norfolk as he’s used to get into scrapes in London and had to let the heat die down.

As I couldn’t find a Charles Boland I wondered if that was his real name. My one surviving Aunt told me he worked on the underground/railway.

As for Bessie – I can get more detail once I get my laptop repaired- unfortunately I saved everything on that!
She was married to a guy by the name of Hawkins who was apparently much older than her and was quite physically abusive so they divorced (a rare occurrence in the early the 1920s)

My Grandfather William Bencley Allday was a regular in the army before WW1 and was awarded the DCM before leaving the service at the end of the war. He stayed on in France initially with the War Graves Commission before returning to the UK and worked in London where he met Bessie.

She had 2 children George and a female whose name I cannot recall at present and a further 7 with William (or Curly as he was known). That Lewis (Mick), Ruth (Toots), William (Bill), Benjamin ( Ben & my father), Edward (Curly), Doris (Dolly) and Alan. Only Dolly & Alan are still surviving. Research has found they had 4/5 of the children out of wedlock!

Mick, Toots, Bill and Ben were evacuees during the London Blitz and moved back to Wimbotsham, Norfolk the village where Curly Snr was born. Eventually the remaining family moved back to Norfolk – where the majority of the children and grandchild of Curly & Bessie still live today in fairly close proximity to each other.

Curly died in 1963 I think (I will send exact dates later when my laptop is sorted out) and Bessie died 1967 (?). Sadly the sons all seemed to die in middle age. 
I was told last year that Bessie spent most of her summers in Cogan, South Wales and always wanted to visit. Alas she passed away before she did. Hence my surprise to find that I live within a few miles of Cogan.

If it’s easier email me on (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline drbobboland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 October 12 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this most interesting information.  I hope your computer troubles will soon be resolved and I look forward to your confirmation of some dates.  The postmaster deleted your e-mail address, so we will have to continue via this forum (although I do not understand why it said I had no message when you had in fact replied... ??)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 October 12 21:45 GMT (UK) »
There's a George Boland aged 25 marrying a Rebecca Pegram, a  49 yr old widow in Hackney in January 1892. His father is Archibald (coal foreman), but George's occupation is given as gasfitter.

Rebecca is alone in 1901 and appears to die in 1905

Offline drbobboland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Interesting ... does anyone know when George (born in 1867) died ???

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about George - Sarah dies in Lewisham area in 1934. Following them through the electoral registers George is around for several years afterward with various of his offspring in residence - including a Frank Charles Evan Boland, who I suspect may be "Uncle Charlie"?  He's born west Ham in 1913 (MMN Randall) and dies in Hounslow in 1969

this may be the most likely death

George A Boland
Birth c1868
Date Apr-May-Jun 1940
Age 72
Poplar Vol 1c, page 494

Offline drbobboland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks !  The information on George and Charles fits well.   

Offline TCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Regarding George I have him marrying Rebecca Pengram in Hackney in 1892, Rebecca born in 1873, St George in the East, London
In the 1901 Census George is with wife number 2 - Sarah (Randall) b 1877, Neath. I have they married in 1907 West Ham.

I'm sure Sarah is Bessie, Archibald and the others mother.

George left the Docks Police in January 1928 as an Inspector and died in Popular London 1940.

Regarding email addresses not being published  - if you search The Vale of Glamorgan Referees Society (pitcherio) - there only one "Terry" listed - with email!!...hint!!!!

Offline TCA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 01 November 12 20:11 GMT (UK) »
I should have added George was serving in the Cardiff Police in Llandaff Police Station in 1891. The old station is still there looking very grand but now its a "des-res" apartment block.
He join the London docks Police in 1897 so can only assume he left Cardiff for London in between the 1991 Census and marrying Rebecca in 1892.