Author Topic: mary yates was she married and are these her children  (Read 3344 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
mary yates was she married and are these her children
« on: Friday 10 August 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
have a Mary Yates in my family she is my grt grt grt granfather sister what i want to know is was she married as cant find any certs for this .have her on 1841 census with her father and son .Torry or new mill James Yates 65 1776 Ag Lauree ,Mary Yates 25 1816 and thomas Willie 3 1838 Rayburn was thomas her son.have 51 census one house Torry village torryburn Mary Yates 34 1817 head marriage unknown errand goer perthshire culross, James white 8 son pauper fife torryburn Anne wilkie 12 1839 daughter pauper scholar fife torryburn then my grt grt grt granfather and my grt grt granfather what am wanting to know is was Mary married or not and are these children hers as she seems to have children with diffrent name for Anne wilkie thinks this may be my grt grt granfathers sister hope you can shed sum light on this thanks David/
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: mary yates was she married and are these her children
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 August 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
Have booked at the original census page on Scotlands People.

Mary Yates is clearly shown as 'Unmarried'.

Things were a little different in Scotland at that time.   If the father of an illegitimate child acknowledged said child as being theirs, the child could be brought up with his surname.   

In this instance, Mary Yates appears to have had 2 children with a man surnamed Wilkie, and a son by someone with the surname White.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 August 12 06:57 BST (UK) »
thanks Annette i have just recently found another census for Mary 61 if this is her low Torry torryburn 43 1818 head down as married outdoor worker Perth culross .Mary cavina 8 1853 daughter fife torryburn think i will try again to find birth certs for these children as i have had no luck trying to find them. David.
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 August 12 09:57 BST (UK) »
Hi David

Unfortunately the birth details that you are looking for are for events before the start of official registration in Scotland from 1855. I can't see any entries for the children in the Old Parish Registers (births certs only post 1855).

You may have to search for their marriage and/or death certs to try to confirm parent/s details.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 August 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
OK thanks Monica will search for these.David

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 August 12 10:44 BST (UK) »
Afraid you are wrong about the 1861 Census.   The original page has her status as 'Un' i.e. unmarried.

Annette
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 August 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
1861 Scottish transcript for 61 census has down as married don't know if you have same 1 but deffaintly say married thanks David.

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
had another look and the married and unmarried look very similar Annette

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 August 12 11:16 BST (UK) »
I viewed the original (not a transcript) census page on Scotlands People and definitely states 'Un.'  Those married are 'Mar.'  

She appears to have 'gained' a few years by the time she died.

Mary Yates, Single  78   Pauper (formerly Out-door Worker) died 6/5/1888 of Low Torry, Torryburn.   Cause of death a) Senile decay and b) Bronchitis.

Informant Wm. Hunter, Inspector of Poor.

Annette    
London -  Monk