Author Topic: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent  (Read 16519 times)

Offline Peneli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Tenn? Fenn? Lenn? of Folkestone Kent
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 30 January 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Long time no time to go down. However, I have picked up some other snippets which may encourage a positive interpretation of the SOE connection. Someone who grew up in Dover when I was there who I met by chance recently had become a teacher of French himself - there had been an organisation of such people, and the president of it had been involved in training people for SOE during the war. And my sister told me that at Dover Grammar School when she was there, there were two teachers, a married couple, also teaching French, who went about with the Legion D'Honneur flashes in their tweed buttonholes, and were not as close mouthed as some have been about war time work. (Four years after her, my other sister knew nothing about them.)

So, any war work connection becomes more likely than that it was imagination.

Someone suggested that railway signallers might have information about the train business, and I have contacted a group of enthusiasts - unfortunately that was a dead end.

Offline Sylvia Fize-Roussel

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Saturday 09 January 16 13:49 GMT (UK) »
I might be of some use here concerning the formidable Miss Fenn. I just happened to look for Folkestone Technical high school for girls  as I remembered it as my eye was operated on and I was not able to read. I was a boarder in july 1955 and 1956  because my mother was an English teacher in Paris and my uncle ,a professor at Mc Gill (Canada) was Miss Fenn's godson during WWII ,originally a lecturer at university in Rennes ,he had enlisted in the British Army and as he was bilingual ,and knew Caen and its surroundings,he was airlifted several times in France before DDay . I know he was in the BUFFS.
Miss Fenn and her friend ,Miss Mary O' Neill loved my uncle. and after the war he would come to see them on his paid leave from Montreal and would spend nearly as much time with them than with my grandmother!
I enjoyed being a boarder the first year because I was a lonely girl brought up by my gran(fther died before my birth ) There were cookery lessons,scripture, Tennis,Speech(I'm sorry I'm late Miss Kay but I missed my train to-day!=
The second year I was a bit bored because the girls in the dorm were ony interested in boys and I  was 13  and never been kissed.
The last time ,I went to Cheriton gardens was 61 or 64 and I remember it was Wimbledon and they were watching tennis and eating strawberries and cream--

Offline kasden

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 10 January 16 20:24 GMT (UK) »
so now the mysterious 'Mary" in the postcard has been identified as Miss Mary O'Neill, Ada Fenn's good friend !.
What an interesting lady Miss Fenn must have been, and what stories she would have been able to tell!. I am still a little amazed at the wealth of information that my initial enquiry has produced....I still have the postcard that initiated it too, I have no idea what to do with it but I would be more than happy to pass it on to any family member of either lady (if indeed one still exists) should they wish to have it.
I know that I would love to be given a  'relic' such as this from any one of my own ancestors.
Thanks for the up date on Miss Fenn and Co:
Regards
Kasden