Author Topic: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow  (Read 36530 times)

Offline niamh aughney

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow, bagenalstown
« Reply #54 on: Monday 30 December 13 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elaine, I may have some useful information regarding the aughneys around bagenalstown/newtown area if you're still interested? my name may be a dead giveaway lol! My family are and I have always been residents of bagenalstown/newtown. My grandfather was gerry aughney, a farmer and miller. But my dad is a mindful of local and historical information I could ask him to help fill in the gaps in your search if you wish? Also, re the Curran side? If I recall, I've heard him speaking in the past about our association to the Curran's but don't quote me on that until I get the full info. Hope to hear from you, as I'm on this for similar reasons to yourself.

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow
« Reply #55 on: Monday 30 December 13 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,Niamh......yes,the name was a big clue! Lol.       Here's we're I'm at...will have to see what i can remember,we're down at our daughters in Galway,for the new year,and i dont have my notes with me!   Leo and his siblings(Curran)were b Carlow and Kildare.         Mick.,Charlie.,Elizabeth Margaret(Rita).,John Joe,and Mary Catherine(Kathleen)were all b above what is now,Smyths pub in Newtown......Frank.,Patrick Dermot,Dan and Ann,twins who died a few hrs old,and James LEO,my hubby were all b Kilkea.Castledermot.Kildare.                   Leo's mum was Margaret Mary Aughney,who married John Curran. They both died from TB when Leo was small,and he was reared by his sis and her husband in Galway.   Margaret Mary's dad was Michael Aughney(this is we're I have to rem who was m to who,cos BOTH his grandads were Michael)...think Michael Aughney was m to Catherine Byrne......in 1901 Irish census,they were living in Newtown. Also living with them and their children,was Michaels parents.,John Aughney,b.c1818,and Alicia Aughney.,b.c1823. Have found that John Aughney m Alicia Raftry.       Can't go any further back than that,cos records,I think ,began 1820 and John was b a couple of yrs before that,so will have to rely on parish records!     I am in touch with a man in England who is related to Aughneys of the mill. If you want to email me,my address is....leoandelaine9@gmail.com.        Hope to hear from you soon.....Elaine.

Offline elaine curran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Aughneys..Newtown..Carlow
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 30 April 14 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, have just found my postings on here! Havent been on in a while( to be honest,i'd forgotten i had even posted here! Lol)
In your last message to me,you said you had some info for me re the Aughneys.
I forwarded you my email address,but can't for the life of me,remember if i got an email from you.....I don't think I did,come to think of it.
Had a lot of probs with my comp last year.,was hacked into,and had to have everything taken off and comp. put back to how it was when it left the factory!
Bit of a bummer!
I WOULD be very interested in ANY info you may have re Aughneys.,thankyou.

Elaine