Author Topic: Stackallan co Meath Ireland  (Read 10145 times)

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stackallan co Meath Ireland
« on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:16 BST (UK) »

Hi anyone out there who can help re Irish Church records and history

I am trying to find out what happen to the church records of the old Stackallan church  in co Meath which was demolished in 1959, and how I could obtain a photo of the church before it was demolished. But mainly what happen to the BDM records of that church.
I am trying to find the death or any records of an Edward Brownell who was married to a Martha ?  I think he was an innkeeper ?and the records of their children Martha and Alice, both children Martha and Alice came to Australian in 1841.
I do not know if the BDM records of the Stackallan church are survived, but any information on the above persons would be most appreciated.

Kind regards
Tim

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Stackallan co Meath Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:25 BST (UK) »
Records would stay with the parish, or if the area was being incorporated into a neighbouring parish would go there.

was this an RC church ?

Stackallan was part of Slane RC parish, so maybe the church in question was a chapel of ease for the parish. In which case records of events like marriages and baptisms would have been recorded in the registers in the parish church.

Historic records for the parish are available in the National Library of Ireland on microfilm. Baptisms and marriages are included back to 1851. No death/burial records are included in the registers (very few RC parishes recorded these).

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanew147

No the church was not RC, the information I have is that it states in the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland dated 1837 it stated for Stackallan "The church is a neat plain edifice in good and permanent repair built some 200 years ago "

It also said that when the church was demolished  in 1959 the doorway stone stemps and Barnewall arms were taken and preserved at St Patricks church of Ireland.

Kind regards
Tim

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:36 BST (UK) »
If the church in question was Church of Ireland - then the Civil and CofI parish for the area is also named Stackallen. Historic records are held by the Representative Church Body Library in Rathfarnham in Co. Dublin, but dont go back very far ...  Baptisms from 1885, marriages from 1845, and death/burials from 1886. All these dates would be covered in civil records.

Shane

p.s. the description in Lewis relates to the established Church - i.e. CofI
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:48 BST (UK) »

Hi Shane

Many thanks for the inofrmaion its a shame that the church records dot go that far back, I wonder what happen to them all ??

Also you you have an idea of where I might be able to obtain a photo of the old church before it was demolished in 1959 ?

I also forgot to say the items went to the St Patricks church in Slane... do you know if that is C I.

Kind regards
Tim

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 August 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Some registers were lost or damaged over time, but the main cause of loss for Church of Ireland registers was the Civil War. Many of the registers had been sent to the Public Records Office, which was the scene of a battle resulting in the destruction of many of the items held.

The church is shown on the historic OSI maps. This one is c1890 - link

Click on the 'Historic 6"' to see a c1835 version of the map, and 'Street Map (Beta)' for a modern map showing the ruins.

There were two St.Patrick's churches in Slane - one RC the other CofI

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
re a photo - I've had a quick search online, which I presume you've already tried, and not seen anything promising. Maybe old books on the area might have a photo or engraving..

I had a quick look in Pigots 1824 and Slaters 1846 to see if there were any sign of any Brownells as innkeepers or otherwise - but nothing in Drogheda or Navan, which the two nearest towns covered by these.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline nattai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:21 BST (UK) »

Hi Shane

Once again thank you so much for the information, I am trying to get into the map site  you attached but my computer is slow, so thought I would ask is there an Historical society that includes Stackallan that might have old photos of the church or would it be best if I contact St Patricks Church of Ireland in slane .... do you know if it is still there ?

Kind regards
Tim

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 August 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
 contact St Patricks Church of Ireland in slane .... do you know if it is still there ?

Still there and operating as far as I can tell - see : St. Patrick's CofI, Slane

S.
My Surname Interests