Author Topic: Campbells and Beatons in Aberfoyle and Gartmore  (Read 7742 times)

Offline The Rookery

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells and Beatons in Aberfoyle and Gartmore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,

I am just starting to research my Mothers side of the family which not much has ever been talked about. I have been on Ancestry.com and managed to trace a far bit of information. I have been fortunate enough to have a few pieces of information from my Mum and one of her sisters.

My Great Grandfather was Peter Luke; his wife Mary Ann Campbell. My Aunty said they lived in a house called Drum Lane. Once on Ancestry.com it didn't take me long to realise that it was Drumlane or Drumlean, Aberfoyle, Perthshire, Scotland.

When I went to look up where that was in Scotland your Question of Campbells and Beatons in Aberfoyle caught my eye and so I logged in. Imagine my surprise to read that Daniel Campbell is your Grandfather? You say you are Floras son? Well, Daniel Campbell is my Great, Great Grandfather and Mary Ann Campbell is your Mums older sister. Do I have that correct? I have come across your "Thistle 76" many times in Ancestry.com.

Peter Luke and Mary Ann emigrated to Australia in 1910. They had Hugh, Daniel Campbell and Peter (Junior) in Scotland and then Margaret in Australia, as well as a boy that didn't last a year which my Mum is not familiar with. Peter Luke (Jnr) is my Grandfather. He was three when they came out on the "Perthshire". My Mother is Mary Ann Eileen Grulke nee Luke and she is the eldest of the seven Luke children from Peter and Edna May (nee Harrison).

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. We have very limited photos as my Grandmother was a bit of a terror and apparently got rid of a lot of photos. My Aunty might have a few. I think there could be one of family standing outside the Drumlean house?

Yours faithfully,

Angelique.

Offline Thistle76

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 September 19 08:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Angelique,
Many thanks for your message. We are related but not as closely as you think! My mother is Flora, her father was John Ferguson, his mother was Lizzie Campbell, younger sister of Mary Ann Campbell. Dan Campbell was also my gt, gt, grandfather. He was quite a character and I have a lot of info on him and his wife Flora Kelly. She couldn’t speak English when she arrived in Aberfoyle and the kids would have grown up speaking Gaelic.
I am in occasional touch with a lady in Brisbane called Lisa, her grandfather was Hugh Luke so I guess that makes you second cousins. I have sent her a wee email asking if she would like to make contact with you.
As a child I met Daniel Campbell Luke, he was known as Campbell or Cam to his close family. He was visiting Scotland in the late 70s having been told he was terminally ill. He had arranged the trip before being told and said if he died in Scotland then so be it. He was a bit of a lad in his youth and had an eventful war in a lot of surprising ways.
My mother met Hugh Luke and Margaret Luke when they visited Scotland. I think Peter was the only one who didn’t come back for a visit.
I don’t think Lisa knows any of Peter’s family, we were unsure if he had any but now we know there are seven!
Rootschat only allows swapping of email addresses on private messenger so I will send you one with my email address.
Regards,
Gary
Laing - NE Scotland, Edinburgh
Ferguson - Perthshire, Glasgow
Cumming, Robb, Wardrop, Robertson, Thomson - Stirlingshire
Campbell - Perthshire
Kelly - Inverness-shire
Moore, Thomson - Roxburghshire
Hendry, Robeson - Berwickshire

Offline RobynMcK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 November 19 05:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gary and Angelique,

Wow, I am new to RootsChat and am astonished that I've come across this post.

I am descended from Flora Campbell and Alexander William Adrian Foreman.
They are my grandparents.  I have replied to another of your posts Gary.

I currently live in the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia.

My grandmother Flora also lived at Drumlean, and I too have photos of the family standing outside the house.

Would love to share, swap, and chat with all my newfound relatives.

I hope to be coming to Scotland to follow up on our family's ancestors in the next year or two.
Would love to meet you all.

Cheers from sunny Queensland
Regards
Robyn