Author Topic: surname distribution  (Read 1481 times)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
surname distribution
« on: Wednesday 25 May 05 15:30 BST (UK) »
Was bored at work, rooting through various sites and came across this new toy:

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/fact.aspx?&fid=6&ln=&fn=&yr=1920

you don't need to register, just enter the surname, any surname and get a nice graphic.

Have fun

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: surname distribution
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 18:40 BST (UK) »
Brilliant!

Thanks.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
That is really so interesting, I have been researching one family and thought they Must have been all over England, it would appear not  :)  .........Back to work you  ;D we don't want any trouble!
Thanks
Wendi
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 May 05 22:23 BST (UK) »
excellent  ;D have spent the last few minutes putting in all the names that I can think off, its a hand tool.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 May 05 00:35 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure if this topic deserves to be "relegated" to the lighter side. Surname distribution mapping can be a serious and exceptionally useful tool in braking down brick walls (the offering from Ancestry is, however, a bit light on its value)

In their Book The Surnames of Wales published in 1996 John and Sheila Rowland’s showed how, even in Wales, where the use of common surnames is much more prevalent than in other parts of the UK - about 60% of Welsh people use the top ten Welsh surnames in comparison to just 5% of English people using the top 10 English surnames -  surname mapping using 2 surnames from the period 1813 to 1836 can pinpoint fairly accurately where a couple are likely to have hailed from. Even if it is a Jones marrying a Jones!

If such a tool were available for the whole of the UK it would be of tremendous value to family historians

Unfortunately the Rowlandses have never made the computer programme the used for their research or the databases that they fed into it publicly available.

The reason for using marriage data from 1813 to 1836 was because this was a period where surnames were fairly well established and railways hadn’t, yet, made mobility a huge problem.

As much of the marriage data for 1813-1836 is available from the LDS and or FHS's- if anybody knows how to create a web programme to filter the data, I'm sure that a very, very useful tool could be created.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 May 05 05:36 BST (UK) »
Was bored at work, rooting through various sites and came across this new toy:

http://www.ancestry.com/learn/facts/fact.aspx?&fid=6&ln=&fn=&yr=1920

you don't need to register, just enter the surname, any surname and get a nice graphic.

Have fun

D ap D

This one is for your Irish Ancestors. You can cross reference two family names. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

Paul E

« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 05 09:27 BST (UK) »
I agree with Dolgellau - this deserves moving to the Common Room... I hadn't seen this on Ancestry.  Moderaters - do your stuff!

Great link D ap D! :)

Paul

Offline supersan

• RootsChat Senior
  • digging deeper into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 05 09:50 BST (UK) »
That's fun ;D sandra
lambert-north yorkshire, dannatt-lincolnshire, simms-nottingham,cresswell-derbyshire,thwaite-north yorkshire, routledge-cumberland, pearson-durham,pratt-north yorkshire, skipworth-lincolnshire,kirkbride-cumberland, spink-derbyshire, oldfield-north yorkshire, woods- north yorkshire, white- lincolnshire, atkin - lincolnshire, teasdale- north yorkshire, iveson - north yorkshire. this information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk