Author Topic: Martha Carson Boyd, Whitesabbey  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Carson Boyd, Whitesabbey
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 08 July 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
I made a mistake too. Jane was married to a Boyd, so couldn't be Martha's sister. Martha's mother? I wonder when Martha's father John died. 1855ish? Then Jane remarried to Matthew Keown and he took over the pub. Just a theory that needs investigation.
You did say before that Jane's father was Samuel Hay.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 08 July 17 19:02 BST (UK) »
We have that John Boyd married Jane Hay on Oct 1, 1837 in Carrickfergus as per Belfast News. Would anyone have that marriage to find John's father?
Also, John was alive in 1852 but deceased before Aug 1855 when Jane remarried to Matthew Keown.  Can anyone find John.s death in Whiteabbey in that time frame?
Thanks for any help.
Peggy

Offline sjredmond

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 01 November 22 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Gaffy and Margaret. I did wonder if Martha's father was John as he had the Belfast Hotel in 1852 according to Lennon Wylie. I was trying to track the Hotel even further back but couldn't find it. I am also wondering if Matthew Keown is related to the family somehow.
I am going to go read Andrew's will now. and also look at the Griffiths Valuation. Thanks for the heads up.
Peggy

Peggy:

This is a very old thread and I'm not sure if you ever made a connection between Martha and Andrew Boyd, but just to let you know, as far as I am aware, the Andrew Boyd from White Abbey, who's will you found, was probably my 3x GG. He was a Land Steward for Hugh McCalmont of the Abbey Lands and his son John was a prominent Belfast Architect.  I have never been able to confirm the maiden name of Andrew's wife.  There was a marriage between Andrew Boyd and Mary Hunter in Carnmoney Parish in 1818 but I haven't been able to confirm that was my 3x GG or another Andrew Boyd.  My 3X GG died in 1866 at the age of 75, so he was born about 1791. If you learned anything more about him that you think might be of interest to me, please let me know, especially if you found a connection to Marth.  I can also tell you that there was a work connection to a Hugh Boyd, which may be the Hugh Boyd mentioned in this thread, since there was also many mentions of Hugh Boyd and Andrew Boyd both working as Land Stewards for the Abbey Lands, so that may or may not be helpful to you or others.

Steve Redmond.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 May 24 05:11 BST (UK) »
I just found an article from 1857 in which Martha Carson Boyd was involved in a court case regarding assault on James Downey. When she was called as a witness, she said she was a daughter of Mrs. McKeown, owner of the hotel in Whiteabbey.
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t5d/

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 May 24 05:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry, that should say Mrs. McKeown.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 May 24 07:18 BST (UK) »

You're able to edit your post within 24 hours.

Just highlight 'Keown'. click the Strikethrough button and add after it McKeown.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 May 24 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have been thinking about the 1857 newsarticle in which it is reported that Martha Carson  Boyd's mother is Mrs. McKeown. This is only true if her parents were John Boyd (as per her marriage to William Young in 1865) and Jane Hay.  John and Jane Hay were married in 1837 in Carrickfergus, and John Boyd must have died before 1855 when Jane remarried to Matthew Keown aka McKeown.
So when Martha got the license in 1862, it was from her stepfather Matthew. Makes sense.
We need John's marriage to see if it names his father, or his birth abt 1810 (same time frame as Samuel Carson Boyd's son John but I don't think it is him) or his death 1852-1855.
Another possibility is that John and Jane separated.
Presuming John died, perhaps there is a record of his death, or a newspaper notice or writeup.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 06 May 24 02:53 BST (UK) »
If Martha Carson Boyd was 25 when she married in 1865, she was born abt 1840. Sister Victoria was age 52 when  she died in 1890, as per her death certificate so born abt. 1838. If I have found the correct death of Ellen in 1913, she was age 66 so born abt 1847.
Does this mean that Jane Hays mother was Victoria and John's mother was Martha?

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 May 24 03:29 BST (UK) »
I have just learned that Ellen Boyd died in South Africa in 1928, age 84-86 so born 1842-1844. So she is youngest daughter, with Victoria the oldest and Martha in the middle.