Author Topic: Young Tom - tidy up please  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Grampy Wyndham Jones (Wales v Ireland 1905)
    • View Profile
Young Tom - tidy up please
« on: Tuesday 14 August 12 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Can some kind person get rid of all the background muck, please, and perhaps clean up Tommy himself? It doesn't matter if he ends up looking like a cut-out - anything would be better than it is!
   Cheers, Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Young Tom - tidy up please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:35 BST (UK) »
One from me to get the ball rolling Gareth

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Tony - that's the background sorted. Anyone fancy a crack at the lad himself?
   Gareth
Scott, Dowdeswell (Merthyr Tydfil), Jones (Loughor and Merthyr Vale), Roberts (Nelson), Prichard (Collenna and Cefn Fforest); Evan Roberts (Corwen and Amlwch); Scott (Pentre); Scott (Ancrum); Thomas (Pantywaun and Bedlinog); Morgan Jones (Ystradfellte); Bowen (Loughor); Jenkins (Bridgend); Thomas Dowdeswell (b. Gloucester, 1829).

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
That's a bit more than the background sorted!   Good job, Tony.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 14:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, sorry, Tony - I didn't mean to sound half-hearted in my gratitude. I did realise that you did some good work on Tommy as well. I was just wondering if others could take it on - as you said yourself, it was one to get the ball rolling.

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 15:32 BST (UK) »
No problem Gareth. ;D
It was, as I said, just to get the ball rolling. If anyone wants to use my effort and take it to another level please feel free to do so. The end result is all that matters.

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gareth, spent some time playing about with Tony's great clean up,
but sadly I havn't made any improvement, hope you get a few more, Trellisick.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline Garethboxing

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
I wasn't looking for colour, but I think the vest would have been red, as it appears to be a Welsh vest (it has the Prince of Wales feathers on). He probably was awarded it as a national schoolboy champion - the kids who win that title these days are presented with one and I think that's been the case for some years, so maybe back in the late 1920s - when this pic was taken - it was already the custom.
     Thanks for trying, Trellisick, I appreciate the effort  :).
        Gareth

Offline rsinbad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 August 12 00:46 BST (UK) »
had a play
GUIDE FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR SCANNER BED IS CLEAN AND SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM.

If you would like a coloured version, details such as hair colour , eyes and clothing etc.  if known  would be helpful to restorers

Regards Roy