Author Topic: George Scott, blacksmith in Canonbie  (Read 8160 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Scott, blacksmith in Canonbie
« on: Tuesday 14 August 12 18:46 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out anything I can about the children and grandchildren of George Scott and Ann Hogg who were my GGG grandparents. Their three older daughters were Mary, Ann and Jane. One of them emigrated to Nebraska. I believe it was Jane.Ann had a child, Georgina Nichol by William Nichol in December 1849.She also gave birth to Jane Wylie by John Wylie in November 1853. Mary gave birthto George Blyth by Walter Blyth, in January 1853. All of the grandchildren were brought up by George and Ann Scott, their grandparents. It would seem that they were all made pregnant by family of those to whom they were in service. I believe that George Blyth took the name of Scott by the time of the 1871 census. If anyone can give me any help or advice as to what became of any of them, I would be most grateful. I do know that Georgina Nichol became Georgina GHraham at the time of her marriage

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Scott, blacksmith in Canonbie
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Is this therefore Georgina in 1871?

Robert Graham 36 occ Coal Miner b Westerkirk
Georgina 23 b Canonbie
Ann 0 b Canonbie
Residing at Rowanburn, Canonbie
Census ref RG10/814/1/31

In 1901 now a widow, she has a Margaret Scott aged 42 single b Canonbie as a visitor
Census ref RG13/.814/9/5
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 19:27 BST (UK) »
From this post www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,554164.0.html

Did you get anywhere confirming details of daughter Jane and her marriage/life mentioned in Carlisle?

I think  Jane Scott one of the daughters of George Scott married a man named Mathew and lived in Hawick Street Carlisle.   Sorry I do not have the surname, but I do have a photo of Jane and her husband.   George Scott  was my husband’s GGGGG Grandfather.  Ann Scott’s daughter Georgina was his GGG Grandmother.  Can post a photo if you are interested. 

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 19:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, that is the right Georgina. Regrettably, I have been unable to tie in Jane in Carlisle with bthe Jane I am looking for. There is another Jane Scott born in 1834 in Canonbie who was married in St. Peter ad Vincula in The Tower of London, but I have not been able to tie this in either. Thanks for looking.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 19:47 BST (UK) »
Just throwing up ideas as it can be hard to know what lines of searches someone has followed. I can see from general online info that you have been searching for a while...

You have access to Ancestry I think from what you have mentioned. Someone there has daughter Mary married to a Robert Vivers https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLR-PVZ  They show with their family in Hollows, Canonbie. In 1861, a visitor, Jane Scott, 26 and a dressmaker is showing in the household. Have you discounted this Mary and Jane?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 20:26 BST (UK) »
Gordon, just checked, that marriage in January 1856 in Canonbie for Mary Scott to Robert Vivers is the right one. Likely father George was also a witness going by the names. By default maybe  ;)  that entry in 1861 may have sister Jane is the household:

Robert Vivers 44, Road Contractor b. Canonbie
Mary Vivers 31, wife b. Canonbie
Robert Vivers 4
Richard Vivers 2
Margaret Vivers 1 Month
Jane Scott 26, visitor, dressmaker b. Canonbie

Address: Hollows

1871, the family have grown and now living at Rowanburn, where they still show in 1881. Some children's entries here www.rootschat.com/links/0py1/  from familysearch.

SP show a possible death for Mary Scott in 1888 in Canonbie.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 August 12 22:20 BST (UK) »
Gordon, been having another look around with fresher eyes (amazing how supper can recharge the brain!). Wondering whether Jane actually stayed around Canonbie. Likely that entry in 1861 with the Vivers was her from what we now have. I saw a marriage for a Jane Scott to a Robert Warwick here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTLR-5QG

Only two girls I think born to them:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYPF-SZV
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYPF-75M

Their 1881 census entry - everyone born in Canonbie:

Robert Warwick 49 Disabled Joiner
Jane Warwick 47
Mary Ann Warwick 10
Margaret Warwick 8
Jane Brough 14, servant

Address: Park Head, Canonbie

MI details here: (Fallen over) In memory of Robert WARWICK who died at Hollowshillgate 21st February 1888 aged 56 years. Also Jane SCOTT wife of the above Robert WARWICK who died there 2nd March 1889 aged 55 years. https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/G56t7H3_OShiSANMpfuJZdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0 Memorials from Canonbie Churchyard also included here http://longtown19.website.orange.co.uk/ including what you have already for George Scott and family.

Also....a Robert Warwick was the second witness along with a George Scott to the marriage of Mary Scott to Robert Vivers...so looks promising  ::) But, you would need to confirm....

So, re Nebraska, and subject to confirmation re Warwick and Scott marriage, that could only leave Ann ?!

Monica

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 06:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your interest and replies. I shall certainly follow all this up. I think you may be right that it would be Ann who went to Nebraska. Will need to keep on looking. Thanks again.

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 09:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
I have just obtained a marriage certificate for Mary Scott and Robert Vivers. It is interesting to note that Robert's mothers maiden name was Warwick. This means that it is extremely likely that we are looking at the right Jane Scott and a marriage to Robert Warwick. I shall have to get some more credits for Scotlands People and continue searching. I also got the death certificate for Mary for 1888 and this was also the right Mary. Thanks again for your interest and help