Author Topic: Dorset Avenue and Dispensary Lane  (Read 2522 times)

Offline gillbean

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dorset Avenue and Dispensary Lane
« on: Wednesday 15 August 12 17:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what Dorset Avenue and Dispensary Lane (Dublin northside) are called now? I have found relatives that lived on these streets but can't work out where they were.
Davis, Whelan, O'Donnell, Groves, Lawless, Cronin, Colgan. Baltinglass, Dublin. Kildare.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Avenue and Dispensary Lane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 18:06 BST (UK) »
Dorset Ave. was off Lower Dorset Street, and located just north of Eccles place.  It doesn't  look like it still exists, but is visible on the c1890s OSI map - see : Dorset Ave.

I think I located Dispensary Lane before - I'll check and post the link...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 18:15 BST (UK) »
quote from a previous query... I dont see the street on maps, but the location is  very close to Dorset Ave.

During the 1880s there was a Dispensary Lane on the north western side of Dorset Street Lower. It was located between Synott Place and Eccles Place, and between numbers 84 and 87 (the other numbers were skipped)

what dates to you have for the Dispensary Lane reference ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gillbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 18:36 BST (UK) »
We have references from 1840 Church records up to the 1901 census for Dispensary Lane. Thank you for the info on Dorset Ave. My grandfather lived there in 1911 according to the census.
Davis, Whelan, O'Donnell, Groves, Lawless, Cronin, Colgan. Baltinglass, Dublin. Kildare.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
An 1899 shows Dispensary Lane at a slightly different location to 1884, and between 95 and 96 Lwr Dorset, but it's possible the numbers altered over time. It looks like it's possible that it was part of the unlabelled street leading to Dorset Ave.

There were a number of Dispensary Lanes around Dublin, and I think they could have been named after streets where the local dispensary was located at one time.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline gillbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 12 19:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Shane. Much appreciated!

Offline FallonM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 March 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
I also have family in these roads
Patrick Woods m Rose Gaynor
Their daughter Mary Jane Woods (address on birth certificate 15 Dispensary Lane) m Patrick Wall - these are my great grandparents
1911 census they lived at Dorset St Upper no 41
Clare Wall their daughter lived at 103 Lower Dorset St when she married in 1933 - on google maps this is not the same property it was more like a cottage with a yard and the family ran a haulage business from there

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 07:44 GMT (UK) »

1911 census they lived at Dorset St Upper no 41

House 41.1 in Dorset Street, Upper (Rotunda, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Rotunda/Dorset_Street__Upper/41436/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000091272/

First four children-

Unknown Wall (Clare Josephine) 8 September 1906, Unknown Wall (Winifred) 2 February 1908, Agnes Wall 10 August 1909, Patrick Wall 3 December 1910.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-perform-search.jsp?namefm=&namel=Wall+Woods&location=Dublin&yyfrom=&yyto=1911&type=B&submit=Search

One further child Michael born 5 January 1916.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01353/1558061.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo