Author Topic: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland  (Read 29307 times)

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ogilvie Stevenson & Barbara Stevenson from Banff, Scotland
« Reply #54 on: Monday 20 August 12 09:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex,  Your photographs illustrate the scene beautifully so you can be sure that they are admired by many people.  You are correct in that this is overwhelming and that we will need to stand back at some point in time and take stock.  The Mains of Durn connection is attached and you will see how these granite stones reflect light making a good picture difficult.  The transcript for the three in the Marnoch Cemetary will also follow as that will make it a lot easier to read.  Some of the bits after that are almost impossible to read but we keep working on it.  I am sure that you will need to go to work to get away from some of this compelling Stevenson History stuff.
Best wishes,   nw_whiskers.
Stevenson, Marnoch, Scotland

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 20 August 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex & Monica,  The transcript of the three MI in Marnoch are attached.  You can see from the numbering that they are located close together and give us a unique record from the past that could have been otherwise lost forever.  The Isabella Watt MI transcript includes what is engraved on the 2nd face and covers the younger generation.   As you can see they were in the Portsoy and Deskford areas.  Unlike you I am from a generation that does NOT know about mobile phones or laptop computers and most certainly needs a "lengthy siesta" during the course of the day.  I am looking into the Aberdeen Journal connection that Monica kindly gave us and will keep you posted when I get a result.
Your thumbnail is great and it reminds me that I have not finished my morning  task with soap and razor.  Otherwise engrossed for sure!
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers.

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 20 August 12 10:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Monica,  I have noted that I need to keep my "external extracts" tight which was something that I thought about after I posted it.  Sorry about that one.

Sorry about that one,  nw_whiskers

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 20 August 12 10:30 BST (UK) »
No problem, nw_whiskers  :)

So many MIs that you have (how lucky and hardworking have you been  ;)), there is a need as you say to balance out with life!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 17:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex and Monica,  The wedding according to the Banffshire Journal of 17 Aug 1858 reports that it was at the residence of the bride's father at Quintinillo, Lianos de Apam, Mexico was a VERY fine event to the eldest daughter of General Morino.  Alex O Stevenson at the Haciendo of Huajolote, near Mineral del Monte.  The bride is described as "beautiful and accomplished".  They retired to the town of Tacubays which I assume is nearby .  The grand ball was at Progreso attended by the fashionables.  Those are the main words used as it is a lengthy report.  It was in the Mexican paper 15 June 1858.

And the  Banffshire Journal of 24 Jan 1865 wedding reports him as late of "Real del Monte" and now of Ashgrove,  Aberdeen so there you have it.

We were reading it in Aberdeen from the film copy of the paper as it was printed in 1858 so we did have our field trip to make it go!
Best wishes,  nw_whiskers

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
Wow, so much more detail there in the Banff Journal (than the Aberdeen Journal) in terms of places and locations of events. I'll leave to Alex to sort out the history/geography but from the little I know, a number of places seems to be located around the north east of Mexico City (D.F)

Just in case place names get lost in the translations, which would not be surprising with some Mexican place names  ::)

Haciendo of Huajolote, near Mineral del Monte -  Hacienda de Guajolote www.maplandia.com/mexico/hidalgo/mineral-del-monte/el-guajolote/
Quintinillo, Lianos de Apam, - Quintanilla, Llanos de Apam - http://travelingluck.com/North%20America/Mexico/Hidalgo/_3532815_Apan.html
Tacubays - Tacubaya, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacubaya - now part of Mexico City suburbs?.

Seems very real now!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nw_whiskers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 23 August 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Alex and Monica,  A bit of light relief with one of our endangered species at a breakfast of sunflower seeds.  He is a fine looking chap but a bit camera shy. He has a least two other Red Squirrels to keep him company but they are no allowed to eat at the same table with him.
We see the battle scars on the Temple of Santa Ana and are enjoying your narrative greatly.  Apart from the newspapers in Aberdeen we had another look at the Deskford Church entry from 1714 but that area of the book has been damaged around the edges with water at some time so it is a difficult one to decipher.  The Paternal "James Steinstone" bit is there and two witnesses with "Wm." and the "date" but the best of technology may be frustrated in the end.  On the Maternal side we are having another look at the Steinsons at Mill of Durn around the 1750s so we may have better luck there.
Best wishes, nw_whiskers

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:02 BST (UK) »
   Dear all:

I want to apologize for my delay.  There has been a lot of work to do (thank God!) so I've been very busy.   Since Monday, I started managing another business, that's why you haven't heard from me until now.   You've made nice findings about Alexander b. 1830!  As I wrote on a previous post, I'm doing a checklist of things that I will have to investigate further on a holiday or somethng.   Trying to find something about Alexander b. 1830 is one of them, lets see if I have the chance to visit those places or at least make a phone call and see if someone could help me there.   
   So, from my previous field trip, I still have some pictures to share.   The ones attached to this post are from a street I believe Alexander Ogilvie lived on for a while, but I don't have any evidence to turn it into a fact.  Its just some family oral tradition.   Right now its a walk for pedestrians, full of shops, restaurants and night clubs.   On the end of that street, you can find the main square and the Cathedral. 

My best,

Alex

P.S.  nw_whiskers, I love that squirrel!!!  Near my home, here in Durango, you can find some squirrels too, but they look very different.   Also, there is another thing, not as nice and lovely, that you can find here in Durango:   Scorpions.   Very poisonous scorpions.  As a matter of fact, Durango is recognized for the scorpions nationwide.  Not a nice thing.

Offline A.Stevenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 24 August 12 08:07 BST (UK) »
  Dear all:

On weekend, with a little more time available, I will try to expand a little bit more about what happened to my Great Grandfathers children, and where do you have relatives in Mexico and the USA.   As an advance, I want to share an old family picture with you.  You can see my Grandfather, Alejandro Ogilvie Stevenson, born 1910, with my Grandmother, Bertha Bradley, born 1917.  This photo was taken the day they married.  Take care and have an excellent friday!!!

Best regards,

Alex