Author Topic: What the Buttlers did or......  (Read 1708 times)

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What the Buttlers did or......
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 August 12 11:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gortonboy for the link to the naval service of George Buttler.

To be honest I am struggling to find out whether the George Buttler  who married Jane Sidden was an Army or Navy surgeon.

I had collected all sorts of bits and pieces about George and his father who was a commander in the RN and any other references to a George Buttler, surgeon, but  I can no longer find any of them...I suspect they are all on my old broken computer.

I thought I had a biog for George Buttler RN that mentioned his son George served as a surgeon in the Army in such places as India, China and Japan but I can't find that either.

I do have some references of a George Buttler who was a surgeon in the army serving in places such as Barbados, Jamaica and other places in the West Indies but I don't know if its the same man as there appears to be more than one George Buttler who was a surgeon, including a Sir George Buttler who was surgeon to the Queen (Victoria)

There is a reference to a George Buttler/Butler on the internet who was appointed assistant surgeon to HMS Driver in Sep 1841. That date would match up with the 1841 date on the records of George Buttler surgeon on the NA Documents on-line that you found.

Think I will have to start again :(
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
NUGENT Westminster Bermondsey Walthamstow
COLLIER & OWEN Bermondsey
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire
GROVER Burghfield Berkshire
HALL Buckinghamshire Walthamstow Norfolk
Mary Ellen/Ellen Mary ARCHER c 1875 Derby????

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 August 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a will probated 12th June 1861 for a George Buttler who died 12th July 1850 of 3 Ridgmont Place Hampstead Road Commander RN. Probate granted to Mary Buttler of 7 Park Street Croydon Widow. There was a former Prerogative Court of Canterbury grant (Lieutenant in Command HMS Meteor in Orford). Mary died at 1 Rue de Bercy Street Antoine Paris 28th September 1862. Her administration was granted to er daughter Mary Elizabeth Bashford (died 1867) the wife of Frederick of 43 Porchester Street Bayswater. They married in Calcutta in 1844.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 August 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Valda....George Buttler who died in 1850 and Mary who died in Paris were George Buttlers parents.

I managed to find a biog of George Buttler senior on the internet. It doesn't mention the names of his children or their occupations but I'm sure in the past that I found another more detailed biography that did mention his children. Possibly it was in Google Books but has since been removed as I can't find it anymore.

There seems to have been more than one George Buttler/Butler who was a surgeon working approximately the same time period. Of the ones I have found so far, one was a surgeon in the navy appointed to HMS Driver in 1841, another in the army serving in the West Indies but who was invalided out in 1847, another who had the middle initial H and who was possibly a hospital surgeon, and a fourth who was surgeon to the Queen called Sir George Buttler (don't think the last two are mine)

From somewhere that I have neglected to record its source, I have a note that George Buttler served as a surgeon in the army going to places such as Japan, China and India. This may have been info from the biog of his father that I can't find.
However some information on the internet shows that the HMS Driver went to Japan and China in the 1840's so I am still nowhere near sorting out whether George was in the army or the navy! :( .....now totally confused!!

Thanks for your help
Seeking baptism for Thomas Peter Nugent c1802-10 and Charles James Nugent c 1805-10 somewhere/anywhere in London
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 August 12 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you obtained a copy of the probates of George Buttler senior's will? One of the executors did not administer the first probate which was why it was probated again. If you have obtained a copy of the will (it can be purchased and an electronic copy got immediately) what information does it give about his children?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mofid42

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 August 12 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

Many thanks for the information....I had not noticed his will was on the NA website, or at least I don't recall that it was. Its a long time since I looked at the Buttler family and I have lost lots of the notes I made when my old computer broke. Other than what information I had actually recorded on my tree, in many ways I am having to start again.

Its late now so I will look into downloading it tomorrow.
regards
MOIRA
HAMBLETON Bermondsey
MORETON Hampshire