Author Topic: Where Can I get Christening/Baptism Copy  (Read 2580 times)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where Can I get Christening/Baptism Copy
« on: Friday 17 August 12 22:25 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is the correct site or not. But here goes.

I have attached a portion of a Christening/baptism certificate from Aldershot.

Patrick Grimes and Jane Reilly are the names on left
Jas (James) Rubotham and Anne Byrne are the 'Name of Sponsors' on right

Patrick and James were both in 1/19th Yorkshire Regiment and in Aldershot together April 21 - July 3, 1874.

James Rubotham married Anne Byrne September 19, 1874 Chester at which time Anne would then become  Anne Rubotham.

Since both the women use their maiden names, I assume neither are married at this time.

I think the 2 is page 2 and the p is North Camp, Aldershot. Today, I confirmed that the 1/19 Yorkshire Regiment were in the North Camp, Aldershot at this time. I also, believe the christening took place St. Louis RC (now St. Patrick RC) but I do not know where the certificate would be now. I believe it also says first day of July.

Could someone please tell me where I should go to get a copy of this child's christening/baptism certificate? Would it be Hampshire, Surrey or a genealogy society?

I would appreciate feedback.

P.S. I had a simliar post different site but with a different question.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where Can I get Christening/Baptism Copy
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 August 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
Have you tried Armed Forces Births?
Available on FindMyPast, under Armed Forces & Conflict.
May well be available elsewhere?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 August 12 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I did try that but I could not find anything. I think the baby may have been given her last name (Reilly)as she was not married.

Since I do not have the child's christian name, I do not even know what gender it was.

I also think this child died, but again, I do not know when.

Patrick and Jane married in Cavan, Ireland on February 29, 1876. I did find Patrick Bernard Grimes registered in Farnham, Surrey  btn Jan-Mar 1877 who died in Canada in 1881 when Patrick was stationed there.

However, this child was born out of wedlock therefore would not be recorded as an army birth.That is why I would like to get a complete copy of the christening.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 August 12 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm not sure that copies of christening certificates are kept, I think they are similar to other types of certificates in that they are issued on request from information in the Church register. If you think the christening might have been at St. Louis RC (now St. Patrick RC) then you could try the nearest archive to the church or the relevant Catholic Diocese might be able tyo advise you as to where the registers are. Then it would be a matter of looking through them until you find a likely christening.

Andy

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 12 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You are right about no copy. What was I thinking.  ???Of course, it would be a church register.

I need to know where the records are now kept. I have tried looking on the internet, but with no luck. :'(

I live in Canada, so my research is internet, email and telephone. :(

Thanks for your input.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 August 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
have you investigated this birth on freeBMD?

Jun 1874   REILLY    Walter Albert       

Farnham district which covered Aldershot at the time
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline irish2gen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 August 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
Actually I did. The names are strange to me. They had a lot of children and they were all named after him, her, his father, her father, etc.
They followed the naming hierarchy quite closely.

I will research further. Thanks.

It sure fits the time.

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 August 12 00:31 BST (UK) »
Most Catholic baptism registers include the maiden name of the mother so the fragment that you have would not necessarily indicate that Jane was unmarried at the time of the baptism.

However if Patrick and Jane definitely married later than James and Anne then it would be unusual for Jane to be using her maiden name for the baptism record, if she was already married.

Due to the contractual obligations, there are sometimes instances of marriages being recorded on more than one occasion where the husband is in the armed services or constabulary.  Couples marrying secretly to avoid penalties incurred due to inadequate length of service may then have found that in order to qualify for housing etc. they may have to have a more public wedding at the correct time.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline dermo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 June 15 21:46 BST (UK) »
I am researching the family of James Rubotham and Anne Byrne mentioned by the original poster.  I suspected James was a soldier from the birthplaces of his children but could not confirm it in the military records available through findmypast.  Clearly Irish2gen accessed records that allowed him/her to place James in the 1/19 Yorkshire Regiment.  I have sent a PM to Irish2gen asking where the information came from but, in the meantime, does anyone have suggestions as to where I might look for more detail on James's military record?
I would appreciate any pointers.
O'Brien, Keogh, Byrne, Cuffe, Kelly, White, Burke, Blosset, Evans, Hetherington, Hosey, Williams, Wright, Comerford, Carey, McKeon, Litton, O'Reilly, O'Toole, Nugent, Traynor, Broughall.