Author Topic: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia  (Read 5398 times)

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hi
I am reasearching George Greig (married to Elspet Lamb) who lived in Upper Boachra and Aberdeen City from 1839 until they moved to Peterhead (Invernettie Cottage) in 1849.  In 1854 the family with their children emigrated to Australia on the James Fernie leaving from Liverpool.  My question is: why would a family travel north to only have to make the long trip south again.  I am assuming that they are following available work.  But perhaps emigration agents were better in Peterhead?  My second question is how would this family have travelled from Peterhead to Liverpool?  If anyone has any ideas and more experience in research, please let me know.  I am trying to put a story together to make the raw facts a little more compelling to read for future generations.

many thanks

Anna

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

There doesn't appear to be anything unusual, people moving is often work related and my northeast Scottish relatives certainly moved about. Peterhead is only about 50 kms from Aberdeen.

I can't see how the emigration agents would have had anything to do with the move to Peterhead as you are looking at 5 years between the move and emigration.

They could have travelled a number of ways, maybe by train to Glasgow and then by boat to Liverpool. If you check stories of others who emigrated from northeast Scotland to Australia in that period you would get some ideas.

Andy

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 12 07:35 BST (UK) »
Another point to consider is that a fair number of Lambs came from an area about fifteen miles or so from Peterhead and even more Greigs came from that region.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
I would endorse all that Andy said.
Also, assuming they were renting rather than owning their 'abode', they may have been chasing cheaper rents, or more suitable premises, or to be nearer workplaces.  Any number of reasons.
And 5 years between moving and emigrating does not sound like the emigrating had anything to do with the move to Peterhead.

Do you know where in Australia they went?  Do you need any help there?

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 August 12 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for your suggestions. I was just quesrooming the move. They were a young couple working next to her fathers farm of 35 acres. Perhaps the farm could not support them all during the downturn in the economy. Do you know anything about the Greigs from that area? My George greig was born 1810 ( kincardineshire it says on a census). His death certificate states stone haven as his birth place yet when I search Scotland's people there are no matches for a George greig born between 1800 and 1820. His death cretic ate states his father was also a George and a farmer. I can't find anything. He only appears on paper when he marries Elspet lamb in 1839 in old machar. It appears they both worked on neighboring farms. I have tracked them from old machar to new bridge on don and then to peterhead. Is there any further info I can find which would indicate what they did in peterhead? Or do you have any suggestions as to how I might go about trying to further ascertain George Greigs parents etc.
Thanks for your help.
Anna

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 August 12 12:55 BST (UK) »
Anna, I agree with the earlier posts.

You have a young couple growing in the north east, farming stock.  Stonehaven isn't that far from Aberdeen at all, and you say that although George was born in Stonehaven they later lived in Old Machar, and then moved on to Peterhead, so I don't quite understand your original question about 'why move all that way north?', because all these places are in the same part of the country.

Looking at SP, I found some births that could be your George, though it may be you have already ruled them out?     George Greig born in 1806 in Fordoun, which is not far from Stonehaven.  When giving information for the 1841/51 census it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that someone gives their general area of birth, rather than the exact village, and if born in Fordoun summing it up as 'Stonehaven' would be fair enough.

His parents were George Greig and Ann Smart, not sure if that rings any bells?  There were 3 others George Greig births in 1812, 1816 and 1818 but their fathers are listed as Thomas, James and William, so if you already know your George's father was also George we can rule them out.

As to why they moved from Old Machar, which is a rural area a bit north of Aberdeen, no idea but it's possible that they ween't making the living they needed to in that area?    From Old Machar the road heads up through Elllon and Hatton to Peterhead and if there was work up there servicing the fishing fleets they may have considered it a better prospect.    The fact that they headed to Australia a few years later may mean that they were struggling to make ends meet, as so many were, and just kept chasing the chance of a better life - hope they found it.

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I mentioned the 1806 birth record for George Greig without giving you the reference.   If you want to go to Scotlands People and look at the original, it is:  259/00 0030 0170
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Yes it would appear they did very well in Australia. With regards to George I guess it is a matter of working out of his listed fathers name was correct or whether the birth place is correct. His death was reported by his son in law with whom he lived for 14 years. His age was 93 in 1903 as stated on his death certificate. It also states his dad was named George. Strangely on his wife's death certificate ( she died before him) he was listed as John. I wonder if this was incorrect as on all children's birth certificates in Scotland and Australia he is named George. In 1841 census when he was in king st Aberdeen living in a boarding house birth place states Aberdeen, yet in 1851 when he is in invernettie in his own residence his birth place is stated as Kinneff. Yet his death certificate states stonehaven!  So I need to workout if the name of the father is wrong or the age on birth certificate ( although it does correlate with census info). Very frustrating as my maiden name is Greig and I really really really want to know!
Anna

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi

According to the 1851 census George was born in Kinneff, Kincardineshire and his occupation was a carrier which was a person who transported goods.
Kinneff is about 9 miles south of Stonehaven but it is not unusual for a nearby larger place to be named, particularly when living some distance away.

Andy