Author Topic: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia  (Read 5397 times)

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Anna,

I did a google onyour

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: why would a family travel from Aberdeen to Peterhead to emigrate to Australia
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:34 BST (UK) »
OOps sorry about that............ i did a quick google on your George Greig, and it looks like he is on a family tree on A******y. His fathers name is listed as William! and mother as Margaret Webster. Have a look and see, but it all fits in.

Anne

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Andy.

I just cannot seem to pinpoint his birth details which is proving a little frustrating. There only seems to George Greigs born around 1810 to a father named George but not in kincardineshire or George greig born in 1810 but born to a father named George!

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
I agree it's confusing!

Looking at all the differing birth places you have, and trying to work logically -

Yes, it says Stonehaven on his death certificate.    Information on death records is given by whoever registered the death and not, to put it brutally, by the deceased.  Yes, it was in Australia but Stonehaven is pretty clear, and, like Aberdeen, can be a catch all name not just for the Stonehaven itself but also for the parishes immediately surrounding.   I would think that is a pretty strong pointer to a birth in Kincardineshire and not in Aberdeen.

1841 census - in a boarding house.   Birth places on census should never be ignored just to suit a particular theory but because it was a boarding house we have no way of knowing who actually provided the information.    Always bear it in mind but I wouldn't give it as much weight as the information his own son provided when he died.

1851 census - you say he is in his own home so almost certainly he, or at least his wife, provided the information this time.    He gives Kinneff. so that has to be counted as pretty accurate and is the most likely option.     Kinneff, Arbuthnot and Fordoun are all small villages fairly close together, just south of Stonehaven.  Where the border between Kincardineshire and Forfarshire/Angus sat at that point I'm not sure - at present it's south of there, just between Montrose and St Cyrus, so would indicate he was definitely born in Kincardineshire, but I'd do a double check on births in Forfarshire just to be sure.

So taking those three together I'd definitely go with the Kincardineshire birthplaces,  rather than Aberdeen.   Hope that makes sense!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne
Yes I have seen that one but it is incorrect because the George greig that have dies in Scotland and my George dies in Victoria Australia 1903! Plus his fathers name is George not William. But thank you for taking the time to look for me.
Anna

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you will check Forfarshire as well.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:46 BST (UK) »
By the way, do any of these names occur anywhere in your family from George onwards?

Smart, Kerr, Duthie, Smith

I ask because these are the mother's names for the births coming up for George Greig in Kincardinshire between 1800 and 1820.

Parents
George Greig / Ann Smart - Fordoun
Thomas Greig / Catherine Kerr - Fetteresso
James Greig / Jean Duthie, Durris
William Greig / Jean Smith, Durris
All of these places could reasonably be generalised as Stonehaven, but I'm afraid none of them are Kinneff, so it may be your George's baptism isn't listed.   The Fordoun birth looks the best of the limited options, but there's no guarantee.
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 August 12 13:52 BST (UK) »
Thinking laterally, did your George have any brothers or sisters that you know of?   I've found some other Greig baptisms so wondered if we could tie him into a family that way?

Offline annaluscombe1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 August 12 14:01 BST (UK) »
No unfortunately none of those names appear in my family from George onwards. I don't know of any brothers or sisters as I only have his death certificate and the two census information. I have looked at the births of his children to see if there are any greig witness but no such luck. The witnesses are elspets father, John lamb.