Author Topic: Not sure if this is my ancestor or not - Hattie Purvis - born 1860s  (Read 6200 times)

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is my ancestor or not - Hattie Purvis - born 1860s
« on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:06 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother was known as Hattie Purvis.  This is what my grandmother told me before she passed away and she is also listed as Hattie in New York State and US Federal census records.  I hired a genealogist to help me because I could never find anything about her in Scotland, where both my grandmother and the census records told me she was born.  The genealogist helped me obtain her marriage record.  The marriage record (from New York) states her parents’ names as Thomas Purvis and Christina Akins.  I have spent quite awhile trying to find Thomas and Christina in Scotland.  The closest thing I have found is Thomas Purvis and Christina Aitkin or Aitken – a marriage record and a birth record for their daughter Hannah Purvis (and other children). 

What do you think, are Christina Akins and Christina Aitkin/Aitken (and therefore Hannah and Hattie) Purvis the same?  If so, there are a lot of records on Christina’s family going farther back so I am afraid I am jumping to conclusions!  The marriage record is from 1891 and it lists Hattie as being 22, so she was born in abt. 1869 – in contrast Thomas Purvis and Christina Aitkin/Aitken’s daughter Hannah was born in 1861.  HOWEVER the date on the marriage record is VERY hard to read.  The 1891 date is handwritten over a typed date which looks like 1883.  If Hattie was 22 in 1883, then she would have been born in abt. 1861. The record was transcribed as 1891 but I don’t how significance to put in that since they transcribed Hattie’s last name wrong.  Do you have any idea what it might mean that the date on the marriage record was written over?

If Christina Aitkin/Aitken is NOT in fact my ancestor, why can I not find any record of Christina Akins or her daughter Hattie?  Are there some areas of Scotland for which you cannot get records? (I have primarily been using ancestry.com and familysearch.org.)

This message turned out longer than I intended… thank you all so much for your insight!  I have been thinking about this for months and feel so lost!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if this is my ancestor or not - Hattie Purvis - born 1860s
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome

How old was Hattie on the 1900 census which may help with the birthyear issue

I think it's quite likely that you have found the right parental marriage.  Because of the high level of illiteracy in those days - names were often spelt as they were pronounced
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
Just checked the IGI and there were a number of children born to Thomas & Christina

Christina 1859 - Glasgow

All following Dumbarton

Hannah Feb 1861 

Elizabeth 1863

Eleanor 1866

Mary 1869

Silas 1871

1861 for Dumbarton indexed as Parvis

Thomas 30 b Ireland - journeyman bootmaker
Christina 21 b Glasgow
Jane 5 b Ireland
Christina (indexed as Christian) 1 b Glasgow
Hannah (indexed as Hanah) 1 mth b Glasgow
Dumbarton ED 2 Page 45 Line 13
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:46 BST (UK) »
The 1871 again shows them as Parvis

Thomas Purvis 40 b Ireland master shoemaker
Christina   30 b Glasgow
Jane   13 now shown as b Glasgow
Christine  11 b Glasgow
Hannah   9 now shown as b Cardross Dumbartonshire
Elizabeth   7 b Cardross
Eleanor  4        ditto
Mary   1            ditto
William Stevenson 28 boarder b Ireland - journeyman shoemaker
Cardross ED 1 Page 44 Line 2

Nothing after 1871

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 12 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole,
Thanks so much for your response. I think you might have made me realize I am indeed on the wrong path.

In the 1892 state census Hattie's estimated birth year was 1870
In the 1905 state census Hattie's estimated birth year was 1876
In the 1920 national census Hattie's estimated birth year was 1872

I couldn't find her or her husband in the 1900 census. 

The Purvis/Parvis family we found in Scotland shows up in the 1892 New York state census, they were living in Brooklyn, NY.  In the census their daughter Hannah IS actually recorded as Hattie and it says she is 24.  This means her year of birth is around 1868 which is not consistent with the Purvis/Parvis records for Scotland BUT the names for all the siblings (except for Silas who is missing - may have died) are consistent so I do think it is the same family. 

The Hattie who I am sure IS my ancestor also shows up in the same 1892 census (also in Brooklyn) with her husband Vincent Middlemas / Middlemass. 

Could both her parents and her husband given her name to the census-taker?  Or does this definitely mean my Hattie Middlemass nee Purvis was not the same person as Hannah/Hanah/Hattie Purvis/Parvis?  I couldn't find anything else about Hannah/Hanah/Hattie Purvis/Parvis, such as a a marriage certificate, but I may just not have found it...

Whew, I am confused!

Offline Mara Constantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 12 00:27 BST (UK) »
On the other hand a clue that points to them being the same person is that the name was Hannah in Scotland but Hattie in New York for the Purvis/Parvus census, and Hannah is not commonly “nicknamed into Hattie” (as far as I kno).  So that makes me think they may actually be the same girl, in addition to the fact that the birth year for Hannah Purvis in Scotland was recorded as 1861 but in the 1892 census she had become abt. 1868. 

Does that make any sense at all?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 12 00:30 BST (UK) »
This is the 1880 entry and her birthyear is 1865 - definitely the same family as Silas is with them

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MZ8N-7LQ

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 12 08:01 BST (UK) »
I have always found Hattie to be a form of Harriet, not Hannah.

Offline danuslave

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My fashion sense isn't any better now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
I don't think you should place too much reliance on short-forms of names   ::)

People get called all sorts of things by their families, for all sorts of reasons, and these names often stick into adulthood.

I'm sure that in the 1800s, if a woman was asked her name, she would be more likely to give the name she was known by, than the one she was given at birth/baptism   :)

Linda
MOXHAM/MOXAM - Wiltshire & Surrey
SKEATS - Surrey
BRETT - Kent & County Durham
and
SWINBANK - anywhere

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk