Author Topic: Marraige William Nesbitt and Eliza 10 Nov 1842  (Read 6072 times)

Offline CarrollC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marraige William Nesbitt and Eliza 10 Nov 1842
« on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:26 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the marriage record of William Nesbitt and Eliza ??.  The marriage date is 10 Nov 1842 (or 1845) per the Civil War Pension File for William Nesbitt.  Pension states they were married in Killagan by Rev. Robert Wright.  I'm looking for the maiden name of Eliza (Elizabeth) and possibly parents to extend the family.  Also any children born in Ireland.  They immigrated approx. 3 years after marriage but first known child is born in 1851, Pennsylvania, leading me to believe there may be some earlier ones who likely died as they are not mentioned in the Pension File.  Pension File uses 1842 multiple times but once as 1845.  Age of William in the pension places his birth about 1817 (Elizabeth about 1823 per census records) and states William born in Dublin.  I have found a record in the Family History Library, Utah, for William Nesbitt and Eliza Patterson in Kiltegan, Wicklow on 10 Nov 1845 but have not viewed the film.  The geography plays better with Dublin.  Matching the Reverend will be key to correct identification.  Any local help is appreciated.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marraige William Nesbitt and Eliza 10 Nov 1842
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 August 12 23:39 BST (UK) »
Am a bit puzzled with your post so perhaps you could clarify it.

William Nesbitt born (possibly) Dublin and possible marriage for William and Eliza in Co. Wicklow (not far from Dublin) but you've posted this on Antrim board (nowhere near either Dublin or Wicklow)? Is there an Antrim connection that you haven't mentioned?

Note: the Nesbitt/Patterson marriage is listed on www.familysearch.org (bride's name Elisa). It is page number 233 in civil register.
William Nesbitt 1845 Baltinglass registration district volume 2 page 233.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 12 05:00 BST (UK) »
William's address at the time of marriage was Donoughmore, the one that most readily comes to mind is a considerable distance away just northwest of Cork.

Added: Correction, there is a Donoughmore Parish in Co. Wicklow, so that would appear to fit...

Offline CarrollC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 03:10 BST (UK) »
The reason I posted in Antrim as that is where I found a Killagan.  But I'm not sure if there is only one Killagan.  Or if the Pension record place named is completely accurate.  If it has a spelling error things change,  I'm hoping those in the know can help me fine tune this.  As I said if the Reverend matches in the marriage record we can be sure we found the right one.  These seem to be pretty common names.  The pension record does state that William was born in Dublin but nothing about the origins of Eliza.  So geography plays a part here.  Which way and how far do we go from Dublin to find our bride?

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 04:50 BST (UK) »

I think Killagan may simply be a corruption of Kiltegan. Reason being, there's mention of a marriage of another couple in the Freeman's journal of Aug 1844 at Kiltegan and the marriage is by... one Rev. Robert Wright.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:44 BST (UK) »
In 1848 (Thom's) Robert Wright is listed as the incumbent of the parish of 'Kilranelagh and Kiltegan' in Co. Wicklow. The post town listed for him is Baltinglass.

These parishes are located in the south west of Co. Wicklow bordering Co. Carlow but also close to Co. Kildare.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 15:13 BST (UK) »
I think this is their marriage.  This is from Family Search Irish Marriages

Moderator Note: cut & paste from LDS site removed- see here for marriage record:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGJX-DBH

You can buy this record at:

http://www.rootsireland.ie/

RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 15:26 BST (UK) »
or purchase a civil cert from the GRO :

Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon

(the references you need are included in reply #1 of this thread)

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline RosemaryJoan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 15:57 BST (UK) »
By the way, Kiltegan is the adjoining Parish to Donaghmore in Wo. Wicklow
RosemaryJoan
Cully, Bannister, McConnell, Wallace (Co. Armagh)  Anderson, Ross (Co. Antrim), Gray, Truesdale (Co. Down)
McCormick (Killyleagh and finally Belfast)