Author Topic: Valley Hospital, Anglesey.  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Valley Hospital, Anglesey.
« on: Monday 20 August 12 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Roots Chatters,

A relative died in Valley Hospital in 1957. Does anyone know the nature of this hospital please?

I have seen the buildings used to be The Workhouse there, did this become an asylum afterwards?

Jo.

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Valley Hospital, Anglesey.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 11:30 BST (UK) »
I remember it being an old peoples home in the 70's till it got knocked down, people from the workhouse were buried at Ynys Wen cemetery, now reopened for burials, ironically, one of the first to be buried was a local millionaire....all equal in death !!!

http://www.valleycommunitycouncil.com/hanescyff.html

Offline clwyd2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi it was a TB hospital at some time probably before 1957

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 August 12 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this information.

I had an idea that it might have been in the nature of a mental hospital/asylum from the details my mother gave to me about her aunt who died there.

Jo.

Offline patmelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 21:14 BST (UK) »
I remember it being an old peoples home in the 70's till it got knocked down, people from the workhouse were buried at Ynys Wen cemetery, now reopened for burials, ironically, one of the first to be buried was a local millionaire....all equal in death !!!

http://www.valleycommunitycouncil.com/hanescyff.html

My great grandfather dies in the workhouse in 1928. Family story is that his (estranged) family placed a headstone where he was buried. Would that be Yns Wen Cemetery then? I live in Kent but am visiting North Wales later this month and would like to see if the family story is correct.

Offline aled23

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 May 15 11:21 BST (UK) »
as a child playing in Ynys Wen I remember that there may be approx 6 headstones....there may be a plan for the old burial site as they have started burials there again as mentioned, need to try and find out...good luck

Offline patmelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
as a child playing in Ynys Wen I remember that there may be approx 6 headstones....there may be a plan for the old burial site as they have started burials there again as mentioned, need to try and find out...good luck

Thanks for your response. I have had a look on an on Google Earth and can see some headstones. Most do appear to be more recent than the dates I'm looking at. I have contacted the council to see if they can help with the search. Hopefully they can give me an answer. I also contacted the archives who have confirmed that my great grandfather died in the workhouse but have no records of burials unfortunately.
Family story is that over time the headstone fell over, an older relative talks of going to the grave and seeing it but cannot remember the exact location.
I think when I come to Wales, we will go to the cemetery anyway, it's not large and if there is a headstone there, we should be able to find it. I just don't want to leave and find out later that it's at a different location a few miles away.

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 May 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
There is quite a lot of history about the workhouse if you google Valley workhouse, I think it became a hospital when the workhouse closed down,  I was interested in what happened to the workhouse inmates, but there was nothing about them , does anyone know where they went?
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 May 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

the search key "valley hospital" in "Exact word or phrase" returns a number of references, including what's available at Archifau Ynys Môn