Author Topic: Andrews Family  (Read 9996 times)

Offline Carly287

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Andrews Family
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Gilly,

When was your great granddad;Aloysius, born? As its an unusual name. My great great great grandmas maiden name was Andrews and one of her children was called;Joseph Aloysius Tait.

Thanks,

Carly

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 August 12 23:27 BST (UK) »
Have been researching the Andrews family and found out quite a bit that might sort out the family tree quite a bit but need to finish checking some more details before I start posting everything.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gilly25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Curly

My great grandad was born in belfast in Feb 1902.

Gilly
Andrews - N.Ireland/Scotland
Massey - N.Ireland
Bell - N.Ireland
Grieve - Scotland
Turnbull - Scotland
McKie - Scotland
Hall - N.Ireland
Butler - Scotland
Galloway- Scotland
Montgomerie/Montgomery - Scotland/N.Ireland
Nicholson- Scotland
Mulholland - N.Ireland
Coburn - N.Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 10:48 BST (UK) »
Have put together the information I found in timeline format so you can see sequence of events. (the underlined bit will be explained later)

Lamont Carson Ormiston ANDREWS

1870- grandfather Michael Andrews died (will, PRONI, 20 pages) The Will (with two Codicils) of Michael Andrews late of Ardoyne near Belfast County Antrim Linen Merchant and Damask Manufacturer deceased who died 20 December 1870 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of William Walker of Banbridge County Down Linen Manufacturer and William Borthwick of Belfast aforesaid Merchant the Executors. (religion- Presbyterian) buried Clifton St. Cemetery  http://www.holycrossparishbelfast.com/history.htm

1873, 17 June- parents James Ormiston Andrews & Jane Lamont married. Belfast Newsletter, 18 June 1873: ANDREWS-CARSON- June 17, at St. Anne’s parish church, Belfast, by the Rev. Dr. Hannay, James Ormiston, son of the late Michael Andrews, of Ardoyne, Belfast, to Jane Lamont, eldest daughter of the late Lamont Carson, of Belfast.

1874, 13 Mar., Argentina- brother Michael Lamont Ormiston Andrews born (d.1961  Texas)
1875, 19 Sept., Belfast- brother Thomas Corbitt Ormiston Andrews born (d.1954 Texas)

1877, 10 Feb., Belfast (birth registration Frederick Ormiston Andrews 10 Feb.1877 Ardoyne Cottage). Belfast Newsletter, 12 Feb.1877: ANDREWS- February 10, at The Cottage, Ardoyne, Belfast, the wife of J.S.[?] Andrews, of a son.

1881 Census- High St., Orsett, Essex, England: boarder Lamont C.O. Andrews, 4, Ireland. In household of Susannah Finch

?c1885- parents separated

1902- Aug. “Gray Head” arr. Galveston, Tex. From Swansea, Wales: Lamont Andrews, single, age 25y 6m, last res.- Belfast, civil engineer, in US 1901 Houston, going to mother in Houston.

?1909, 2 Feb.- father James Ormiston Andrews d. Houston, Texas

1910 Census- Houston, Harris, Texas: Lamont Andrews, age 32, b.Ireland, married, to US 1902; wife Josie Andrews, age 26, b.Ireland

1912, 8 Sept. (crossed out)- SS New York arrived NY from Southampton, Josephine Andrews, to husband L. Andrews Yoakum Texas, 5’3” fair complexion fair hair blue eyes, b. Dublin, mother Mrs. McNulty 65 Railway St Dublin

1912, 29 Sept. “St Louis” arr. NY from Southampton: Josephine Andrews, 28, b.Dublin, married, housewife, husband Lemont Andrews Yoakum Texas

1918 WWI draft registration card- Lamont Andrews, b.10 Feb.1877, wife Josephine Andrews 15 Little Patrick St. Belfast

?1920, 27 Mar.- married Eudalia Loos

1935- Dewitt, Texas (according to 1940 census)
1940 Census- Houston, Harris, Texas: age 63, b.Ireland, Naturalized, safety inspector- PWA; wife Eulalia Andrews, 48, b.Texas.

?1940, 30 Aug.- mother Jane Lamont Carson (b.30 Mar.1951 Ire.) died Joppa?

1964, 17 July: Lamont Andrews d.Cuero, Dewitt Co., Texas, age 87, b.10 Feb.1877 Ireland, retired railroad eng., married, res.- Yoakum Prec.6 Dewitt Co., bur. 19 July 1964 Hebron Cemetery (LDS- image), informant- Mrs. Eudelia Andrews (parents names not known), pneumonia

1976, 30 Mar.: Eudelia Andrews d.Yoakum, Lavaca Co., Tex., b.10 May 1892 Dewitt Tex, parents- Ignatz Loos + Elizabeth Hollan, wid., informant- Mrs. O.L. Rice. (LDS- image)

more to follow...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 11:37 BST (UK) »
The dates are important-

Jan./Mar.1902- birth registration for Denis A.L. Andrews, Belfast
Aug.1902 LCO Andrews arrives in U.S. as 'single'
1910- wife Josie with LCO in Texas
1912- wife Josephine to U.S.
1918- wife Josephine in Belfast
?1920- LCO marries Eudelia

What was Josephine's maiden name? Dunn? (as in Scottish tree- link posted yesterday, son's marriage certificate), McNulty? (mother's name in 1912) Maloney? (son's death certificate)
Did Josephine marry LCO in U.S.? (haven't found marriage in Ireland yet)
Did LCO and Josephine split up 1912/1918?
what happened to Josephine after 1918- did she stay in U.S. or return to Ireland?

Still searching for answers to these and other questions but think religion comes into this. The Andrews family were Presbyterian and I think Josephine was Catholic (certainly Aloyisius is more likely to be given as a name to a Catholic child).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 13:04 BST (UK) »
A bit more to add to timeline...

1900 Census- Dewitt Co., Texas: Eudelia Loos, b.May 1892 Texas
1902, Jan./Mar.- birth reg. Denis Aloysius Ormiston Andrews, Belfast, father- Omiston, mother Josephine (alternative record gives father as Denis Aloysius Ormiston)
1912, 12 June,”Campania” arrived Liverpool, England from N.Y. via Fishgard: Josephine Andrews, age 28, county of last permanent res.- USA
1920 Census- Yoakum, Lavaca Co., Texas: Eudelia Loos, 27, b. Texas, div., saleslady- bakery. LCO Andrews, 43, b.Ireland, div., to US 1902, Naturalized 1919, father b.Ireland,mother b.Austria, engineer- valuation R.R. Also sister & niece.

Offline Gilly25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thank you very much for all the information,
I think Denis did't grow up with his father or see him and did't really know anything about him thats why the information on the certs is different. Is Denis Sr/Lamont the same person, who knows. I have a feeling that Denis/Lamont and Josphine did't get married.
Did you get the marriage cert i sent, can you make out Josies Maiden name. On the death cert it is clearly writtern as Maloney but again as it was his son Maitland who was the informant this could be wrong.
Did Denis go back a live with his mum Josie after 1911 or did he not see her either so he was not really sure on either of his parents names when filling out marriage cert or talking about this parents to his wife and son. Denis was blind and moved to scotland he was a music teacher.
Thank you for all your help.
Massey - N.Ireland
Bell - N.Ireland
Grieve - Scotland
Turnbull - Scotland
McKie - Scotland
Hall - N.Ireland
Butler - Scotland
Galloway- Scotland
Nicholson- Scotland
Mulholland - N.Ireland
Coburn - N.Ireland

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Aghadowey's posting of Michael Andrews will and the burial in Clifton St. reminded me that I did some research on this family some years ago. The dates I was looking at were from the mid 1700s to Michaels death in 1870. If you do not have any earlier information I will dig out what I have and pass it on this evening.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Gilly25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 21 August 12 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

That would be lovely thank you very much.
Massey - N.Ireland
Bell - N.Ireland
Grieve - Scotland
Turnbull - Scotland
McKie - Scotland
Hall - N.Ireland
Butler - Scotland
Galloway- Scotland
Nicholson- Scotland
Mulholland - N.Ireland