Author Topic: French ancestor, born c1720  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
French ancestor, born c1720
« on: Monday 20 August 12 20:13 BST (UK) »
My Vaus/Vaux ancestor supposedly was born in France (no idea where, unfortunately).  He was born c1720.  He was living in Sussex, England by 1749.  Would there be any French records that I might be able to search, to find his possible birth?  Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Kind regards,
Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great Grandad Joseph Woodcock
    • View Profile
Re: French ancestor, born c1720
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:28 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at this introduction to tracing your roots in France?

http://genealogy.about.com/od/france/a/french_ancestry.htm
Sands Frain Moore Woodcock Loft Snowden

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:32 BST (UK) »
No, I have not.  Thank you very much for the suggestion.  I look forward to reading it tonight (after work).

Thank you, 1pds.

Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:37 BST (UK) »
This is a long (no, a very long) shot:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FM23-DX7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 12 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking.  I will add the information to my records.  Perhaps one day he might fit in somewhere.

William was a name that was handed down several generations in England, and it is William Vaux/Vaus who is the mystery person (born c1720).  I was always told that the name was originally Guillaume Vaux.  Due to various reasons, I am wondering if the 1720 William was the one who was born in France.

Again, thank you, ipds.   :)

Lisa
(I do have detailed information about William, his wife and family from 1749 and later.)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
I was always told that the name was originally Guillaume Vaux. 

Guillaume was often used in 18th Century church records in England instead of William...

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 12 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi 1pds:

I've only found references for William, not Guillaume.  My dad and aunt used to tell me our ancestor was named Guillaume.  Neither they nor any other family members researched, so we're going by family heresay - and we all know how accurate that can be!   ;)

Offline 1pds

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I find it amazing that a family can have "hearsay" about an ancestor as far back as the early 18th century!   :)

Good luck with your research. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 August 12 21:25 BST (UK) »
"Family" was very important to this branch of the family.
My aunt has a piece of paper, written by two family members (decades ago) that lists Vaus family members, including their names, dates of birth and family relationships.  I am very lucky to have a copy of the document.

Thank you for your help, 1pds.  I wish you luck with your searches as well.